|This is a WikiProject, an area for focused collaboration among Wikipedians.
- This project is dedicated to creating, improving, and maintaining articles related to the subject of anthropology.
- The scope of this project is the field of Anthropology, with an emphasis on the field often referred to as cultural anthropology.
For best practices in creating and editing articles, see the Wikipedia:Manual of Style.
Overlap with other projects
Since anthropology is such a broad subject, there will probably need to be a lot of cooperation with other wikiprojects. Already existing wikiprojects that might overlap with this include (but are definitely not limited to):
- WikiProject Anatomy
- WikiProject Archaeology*
- WikiProject Culture*
- WikiProject Ethnic groups*
- WikiProject Evolutionary biology
- WikiProject History
- WikiProject Indigenous peoples of North America
- WikiProject Linguistics
- WikiProject Primates*
- WikiProject Psychology
- WikiProject Sociology
Note: An * denotes a project that might end up becoming under our parentage.
This is a new project, and several things need to be done now. Many of these things will remain important as the project develops. Among them are
- Recruiting new members and keeping the members we have
- Improving the articles within the scope of this project
- Creating articles which are important, but do not yet exist
- Actively maintaining the quality of articles which already exist, including making changes to them as required by circumstance
|Anthropology articles by quality and importance|
|WikiWork factors (?)||ω =8,491||Ω = 4.96|
- Azerbaijani people
- Belarusian Republican Youth Union
- Black Seminoles
- History of erotic depictions
- Homo floresiensis
- Iranian peoples
- Ketuanan Melayu
- Names of the Greeks
- Pashtun people
- Prostitution in the People's Republic of China
- Sociocultural evolution
- Taiwanese aborigines
- Tamil people
- Toilets in Japan
Collaboration and review
- Current Collaboration of the month: Kinship
- Nominations for future Collaborations of the Month are currently being called.
- Proposal: Soviet Anthropology This is particularly interesting due to the role of Soviet anthropologists in nation building linked to Narkomnats, with the eventual demise of many prominent anthropologists in the purges.
- Another Proposal: Tribalism This is an undeveloped entry.
- Another Proposal: Hunter-gatherer This is a neglected article. It is currently of quite poor (C) quality.
Please feel free to list your new Anthropology-related articles here (newer articles at the top, please). Any new articles that have an interesting or unusual fact in them should be suggested for the Did you know? box the Main Page.
- Sandra Morgen - Feminist Anthropologist
- Lambda Alpha - National collegiate honors society for anthropology in the US.
- The Savage Mind - early structural anthropology from Claude Lévi-Strauss
- We Have Never Been Modern - seminal work by Bruno Latour
- The Lele of the Kasai - field-report on the Lele people by Mary Douglas
- L'Homme - French journal
- C. W. M. Hart - ?Australian anthropologist
- Shakir Mustafa Salim - Iraqi anthropologist
- Lorna Marshall - American ethnographer of the !Kung people
- Julius Alfred Roth - stub on American sociologist of medicine
- James C. Faris - American anthropologist; a lot more could be added to this, I'm sure.
- Rules and Meanings - Penguin anthology compiled by Mary Douglas
- Luc de Heusch - Belgian anthropologist and film-maker (much more could be added)
- Risk and Blame - essays by Mary Douglas
- Natural Symbols - most controversial of Mary Douglas's books
- Purity and Danger - "break-out" book by Mary Douglas
- Khuplam Milui Lenthang - This article needs some work, not even sure if the subject is notable - any experts able to help?
- Kuhikugu - A series of ancient communities in the Brazilian rainforest.
- Gobero - An early to mid-Holocene community and graveyard in the Sahara desert; the oldest known burial ground in the region.
- Holmul, Guatemala-An ancient lowland Mayan city and region in the jungle of Guatemala.
- John Collier (anthropologist) - John A. Collier, Jr., visual and applied anthropologist
- Homo Ludens
- Arpad Vass A fact from Arpad Vass appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page in the Did you know? column on July 8, 2008.
- Lester Hiatt - Aust. anthropologist stub
- Biocultural evolution
- Biocultural diversity
- Peter Sutton (anthropologist) - Aust. anthropologist & linguist stub
- Evolutionary psychology - a number of anthropologists (e.g. Jonathan Marks, Timothy Ingold) have raised questions about this emerging discipline. One contributor to the article, Leadwind, frequently bings up anthropologists Boas, Mead and Gould as proponents of the kind of pseudoscience Evolutionary Psychology replaces. There are many threads on the talk page in which contributors discuss topics of anthropological research (from human evolution to gender differences or a genetic propensity to become a warrior) to which I imagine many members of this project could constructively contribute.
- Taboo food and drink (see )
- Requested moves
- 26 Jun 2015 – Anatomically modern humans is requested to be moved by Editor abcdef (t · c); see discussion
The Wikipedia entry on Tribalism needs some serious work. Can someone look into this? There are no citations or sources within the entry. I find this topic to be a significant subject for the Anthropology WikiProject. Excuse me if my comment is in the wrong section, but I wanted to inform your group.
- Talkpage banner, for all articles which fall within the scope of this project:
- Main Topic template - sidebar :
- Collaboration of the month - talkpage banner:
Please feel free to add your name in here
A list of relevant magazines and journals can be found at Wikipedia:WikiProject Anthropology/Periodicals.