Wikipedia:WikiProject Articles for creation/Help desk/Archives/2012 October 8
|< October 7||<< Sep | October | Nov >>||October 9 >|
|Welcome to the WikiProject Articles for creation Help Desk Archives|
|The page you are currently viewing is an archive page. While you can leave answers for any questions shown below, please ask new questions on one of the current Help Desk pages.|
- 1 October 8
- 1.1 Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/B.Rich
- 1.2 Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/Ranjit Makkuni
- 1.3 Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/FIG OF STONE (OMUKWIYUGWEMANYA)
- 1.4 Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/West Side Oriental Lazy Boyz China Town gang
- 1.5 Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/Robert Elwes Victorian Traveller Painter 1819 - 1878
- 1.6 Hello, I am Xavier Altar.
- 1.7 Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/MSA-PSG
- 1.8 Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/Ireland Hostfamily.ie
- 1.9 Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/lieutenant Abdullah Al- Luabi
- 1.10 Controlling Chaos by adding a periodic force using MATLAb
Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/B.Rich
- I looked at your article, and the references are there, but they do not appear. A reference is considered everything between the tags <ref> and </ref>. What is between these two tags then appears in your reference list. You have several <ref>'s but only one </ref>. Everything after the your second <ref> is being ignored because the computer is looking for a </ref> which never comes. To be honest, I could not determine where they belong, or I would have placed them for you. Have a look at Wikipedia:Referencing for beginners without using templates and Wikipedia:Referencing for beginners with citation templates, there are some examples there which show how to do it, and how it looks. If you still have problems come back here or to my talk page. Good luck. -- :- ) Don 07:36, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
I need your help to understand about the corrections require to be done to make it valid for Wikipedia. Can you please explain what is not required in my article. TheRealRanjitMakkuni (talk) 13:57, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- In short, this is more of a hagiography than an encyclopedia article. It uses peacock terms such as "visionary" and beautiful but empty phrases - for example, what is this supposed to mean: "Ranjit’s multidimensional, multimedia museum works have illustrated conceptual bridges of communication, understanding, and innovation that flow between and across traditional cultures and modern technological cultures." It heavily relies on primary sources such as Makkuni's own writings. If, as your username suggests, you are Ranjit Makkuni, it is also an WP:Autobiography, which is strongly discouraged because of possible conflicts of interest. I haven't checked every single reference, but what few reliable sources the draft had that were independent of Makkuni (such as the OneIndia news piece) didn't seem to provide the significant coverage necessary to establish his notability.
- In summary, it might be better not to write an article on yourself, and this draft would have to be rewritten almost entirely to conform to basic Wikipedia policies and guidelines, but there aren't enough reliable sources to base such a rewritten article on. Huon (talk) 15:45, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
FIG OF STONEmeans OMUKWIYUGWEMANYA "in oshiwambo"was a big tree grown in the big stone in Oshigambo area, Oshikoto region. This tree was across the Oshigambo River, which passes through Oshigambo High School. This big tree is making fruit, which are eatable by people and animals in the area.
It was discovered that this tree grew there long time ago because on the big stone there is pictures of wild animals drawn there. The History of the area indicated that Oshigambo was a FORESTthat time. The stone was drawn by the San People who were use to get rest in the shade of the Fig tree shade, eat fig fruit and drink water because this tree is grown near the river.
This big Fig tree is still alive, it is getting visitors time to time to look at how the tree grown from the big stone survive and picture written on it how it were written on the big stone. People in the community named one school after this big Fig tree with the Secondary School called OMUKWIYUGWEMANYA SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLmeans (FIG OF STONE) it was named with the purpose of remembering this big fig tree which helped most of learners with fruits and for the tree to be known by young generation.
- That was a copy of your draft. What do you need help with?
- I just declined your submission because it cited no reliable sources whatsoever. We need significant coverage in reliable sources both to establish the tree's notability and to allow our readers to verify the article's content. For example, "It was discovered that this tree grew there long time ago because [...]" - discovered by whom? How can I confirm this discovery? Has it been published in a book or a scholarly article? Huon (talk) 15:45, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
My article was not accepted. I believe it was because I didn't site. I looked through the help page and tried the htmls but still could not get it right. May I get a step by step for what exactly I need to do to get my page accepted? My sources are in my references. Thank You Wikipedia. — Preceding unsigned comment added by YoungLaziez (talk • contribs) 16:07, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- Hi YoungLaziez,
- I think your referencing in fine, it is not done to perfection, but better than most articles submitted. You may want to check with the person who declined your article, but I believe the problem is that only one of your references mentions "Oriental Lazy Boyz" (the 2010 LA Times article) then there are two court cases. Your title is "West Side Oriental Lazy Boyz China Town gang". The names do not have to match exactly, but I don't thing there is enough supporting evidence for a separate article. If you wanted to change the title to, for example "Cambodian gangs in Los Angeles" the the references would be sufficient. That would be my assessment. Good luck. -- :- ) Don 16:59, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- I declined the draft because most of the references did not even mention the West Side Oriental Lazy Boyz China Town gang. Some did mention the Oriental Lazy Boys, who are presumably the same gang, but they provided very little detail on the gang itself and mostly just said that the murderers of Haing Ngor were members of this gang. There was no information on the turf, the history, chapters in other states or the like. What little information the sources provided did not constitute the significant coverage we need to establish the topic's notability. Most of the draft was unverifiable. Piecing together an article on the Oriental Lazy Boys from sources which do not mention them is considered original synthesis and is not acceptable.
- Using footnotes would help, but it's the lack of sources in general that's the most pressing problem. For help on referencing, see also WP:Referencing for beginners. Huon (talk) 17:02, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/Robert Elwes Victorian Traveller Painter 1819 - 1878
Robert Elwes Victorian Traveller Painter 1819 - 1878
I would like to know how to attach photographs to the article.
- If the photos come with a free license or are in the public domain, you can upload them to the Wikimedia Commons via their Upload Wizard. Once they have been uploaded, the picture tutorial explains how to add them to an article. Huon (talk) 18:17, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
Hello, I am Xavier Altar.
Hello, I am Xavier Altar. I noticed the battle that has been happening over the past couple "whatever's." I would like to join please! hee hee hee hee hee hee good job hee hee hee — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 19:14, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
Review of Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/MSA-PSG
- The draft had been successfully submitted for review; as long as there's a "reviews waiting" message and it's categorized among the pending AfC submissions (the very last line), everything is ok.
- However, the draft does not cite any reliable sources. Significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject both to establish its notability and to allow our readers to verify the article's content. Furthermore, the draft currently reads like a mission statement - something to be avoided. Instead, it should give hard facts such as the number of members, the universities where MSA-PSG maintains chapters, and so on - backed up by independent, reliable sources, of course. In its current state the submission will be declined. Huon (talk) 00:15, 9 October 2012 (UTC)
- What's the new title supposed to be? My suggestion would be to add a line like "Title is supposed to be "New title" to the very top; if the submission is accepted, the reviewer will take care of the details. However, I don't think your draft's topic is appropriate for Wikipedia. It reads like an advertisement, not like an encyclopedia article. Wikipedia articles must be based on reliable sources that are independent of the subject, such as newspaper articles. We require significant coverage in such sources to establish a topic's notability. Furthermore, you seem to have a conflict of interest - even if your host family organization is notable it might be a good idea not to write the article yourself. Huon (talk) 00:15, 9 October 2012 (UTC)
- Unfortunately the copy in the main article space has already been nominated for speedy deletion. That's because the article is unduly laudatory, two of its sources are clearly not reliable, and the sources don't mention Al-Luabi anyway. Wikipedia content must be verifiable from reliable sources that are independent of the subject, such as newspaper articles. Furthermore, even the article's basic premise seems to be propaganda. In his book Arabs at War, Kenneth Pollack writes: "Only toward the end of the war, when Iraq began staging aerial ambushes employing their elite Mirage F-1s to secure advantages of three to one or four to one, would the Iraqis actively seek air-to-air combat." It seems doubtful that the Iraqis would have deployed two MiG 21s to intercept five F4 Phantoms. Rather, the incident reads like one where an Iranian F4 was rammed by a MIG-21, but not an Iraqi one - by a Soviet one while gathering electronic intelligence before the Iranian revolution, see Project Dark Gene. Huon (talk) 00:15, 9 October 2012 (UTC)
Controlling Chaos by adding a periodic force using MATLAb
- This page is for questions about the Articles for creation process. Please consider asking this question at the Wikipedia:Reference desk. They specialize in knowledge questions and will try to answer any question in the universe (except how to use Wikipedia, since that is what the Help Desk is for). Just follow the link, select the relevant section, and ask away. You could always try searching Wikipedia for an article related to the topic you want to know more about. I hope this helps. Huon (talk) 14:46, 9 October 2012 (UTC)