Wikipedia:WikiProject Computing/Computer networking task force
|recent Computing-related changes|
This is computer networking task force, a place created to better organize information in articles related to computer networking. If you would like to help, please inquire on the talk page and see the to-do list there.
Covering all articles related to computer networking. Networks rely heavily on protocols, and that is the primary focus, but it should also include models (e.g., OSI model), hardware, and applications. Like all good Wikipedia articles, each computer networking article should explain the basics (such as what an IP address is) as well as the technical details (such as packet structure).
- WikiProject Internet
- WikiProject Computer science
- WikiProject Telecommunications
- WikiProject Software
- User:Zscole TCP congestion control, Software-defined networking, SD-WAN
- User:Elianamwiha Elianamwiha 12:11, 15 October 2010 (UTC)
- Cburnett 18:37, 5 March 2006 (UTC)
- Vap0rtranz (talk · contribs) — heterogeneous networks, technical translation, helpdesk, Linux
- Mange01 08:50, 7 November 2006 (UTC) — Scheduling algorithms, physical layer and data link layer issues, wireless communication.
- Mancini 16:37, 26 November 2006 (UTC) much of the articles under Category:Network management
- Nagendra Kamath 22:21, 13 February 2007 — Protocols: TCP/IP, ATM, SONET
- --Boscobiscotti 04:39, 8 May 2007 (UTC) Ethernet over twisted pair, IEEE_802.11, VLAN Ethernet Switch
- User:akc9000 Routers Host (network) Routing protocol, IMP June 2007, monitoring Routing
- User:PassportDude PassportDude 03:38, 2 July 2007 (UTC); SMLT, DSMLT, RSMLT
Howard C. Berkowitz routing, switching, and other relaying. OSI and TCP/IP architecture. Routing protocols, especially BGP and OSPF. Other IETF, NANOG, IRTF stuff including next-generation routing and addressing.
- Namanmishra10000 (talk · contribs)
- Nethgirb 00:03, 4 July 2007 (UTC) Routing algorithms (also including next-generation routing and addressing), BGP, overlay networks, distributed hash tables
- Ngriffeth 20:31, 11 July 2007 (UTC) Internet protocol suite
- E_dog95' Hi ' 21:15, 12 October 2007 (UTC) -
- User:Denis tarasov wireless networking, traffic enginering, sattelite communications, Ethernet, MVDS etc.
- Staffwaterboy Talk♂ 12:46, 25 March 2008 (UTC)
- Lanilsson Wireless_mesh Lanilsson (talk) 22:06, 8 May 2008 (UTC)
- -- ₮inucherian (Talk) - 08:16, 9 May 2008 (UTC)
- TaborL network architecture/design, security
- Melab-1 23:58, 7 July 2008 (UTC)~
- Pgallert routing and switching, general principles
- QuackCD (talk) 01:30, 7 January 2009 (UTC) VoIP and other Voice-y type Network Topics.
- kgrr talk 22:06, 18 January 2009 (UTC) IEEE member, wireless network engineer, phy/mac, switching, networking, Wi-Fi...
- --Koman90 (talk) 22:34, 12 March 2009 (UTC)
- Andrewcrawford (talk) - Majortiy of networking from thoery to pratical - BSc Comptuer Networking
- --GeneralCheese 05:23, 28 December 2009 (UTC)Network Administrator
- JezArnold Worked for IT vendors (HP and Dell and would like to help improve all articles.
- Kvng - would like to learn how to classify articles
- Mooshykris (talk) 03:41, 14 February 2011 (UTC)
- Jeff Ogden, aka W163 (talk) 22:19, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- Foo : IPv4 , IPv6 , DNS , DNSSEC , Classless Inter-Domain Routing Foo
- Nageh bits across everything :) 13:42, 22 April 2012 (UTC)
- W Nowicki May 2013
- Ozhu (talk) 19:51, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
- HLachman (talk · contribs), programmer from a different century. July 2013.
- Ngriffeth (talk) 19:49, 11 June 2014 (UTC)
- IveGoneAway (talk · contribs) embedded systems PHY and MAC; CAN, AUTOSAR
- MahajanDeepak (MahajanDeepak|talk) Mahajandeepakv 13:31, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- User:Tara Zieminek
- Roller958 (talk) 01:32, 18 September 2015 (UTC)
- II | (t - c) 23:29, 3 July 2016 (UTC) - web application developer interested in lower level details.
- tommiie (talk · contribs)
Computer networking article guidelines
The general style guide for computing articles Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Computing should be followed.
Each networking technology article should include a minimum set of standard elements, as follows:
- General description
- References and external links. cite sources!
- Appropriate categorization. See Wikipedia:Categorization.
Here are a few ideas for how to organize articles. These do not necessarily have to correspond to the actual section headers and divisions, and they are no more than suggestions. Conform to them to help improve the article in question.
A protocol specific article:
- History of the protocol
- Who started it
- When was it started
- What revisions were there
- Any related or defining RFCs?
- What other protocols were kept in mind when designing this protocol? (e.g., TCP to SCTP)
- Packet structure
- Any related technical discussions (e.g., fragmentation and reassembly for IPv4)
A hardware specific article:
- What is it used for (what protocols, versions, etc.)
- Hardware features
- List of manufacturers & models
Talk page project template
|WikiProject Computing / Networking||(Rated Project-class)|
This task force has not yet created any infoboxes. Consult the talk page for more information.
WP 1.0 Assessed Articles
|Computer networking articles by quality and importance|
|WikiWork factors (?)||ω =13,245||Ω = 5.20|
- Interior Gateway Protocol: The link state vs. distance vector material is not appropriate here, because those ideas are not specific to IGPs. Maybe merge the remaining material (of which there is very little) into routing protocol? Or can people envision more material for this article? --Nethgirb 20:03, 29 July 2007 (UTC)
- Access network: This article might be of interest to the networking task force. Please consider triage. Hvaara T∞C 11:54, 5 December 2014 (UTC)
- Improve accessibility and reduce length of Communications protocol ~KvnG 17:03, 8 December 2014 (UTC)
- Improve Ethernet toward good article based on reviewer suggestions ~Kvng (talk) 14:37, 20 November 2015 (UTC)
- Network scheduler improvements as discussed on talk page ~Kvng (talk) 14:37, 20 November 2015 (UTC)
- Host (network)
- List of suggested topics for computer networking research: Not even sure what this is supposed to include. Items the reader should learn more about? Items Ph.D.s should be spending their time on? Possibly delete, (]]List of computer networking topics]] is gone) and expand greatly, producing an article in the style of List of computing topics. But keep in mind we already have List of Internet topics. --Nethgirb 20:03, 29 July 2007 (UTC)
- This was moved to Wikipedia:WikiProject_Outlines/Drafts/Outline_of_computer_networking. ~KvnG 17:03, 8 December 2014 (UTC)