Wikipedia:WikiProject Country subdivisions
|This geographical WikiProject is believed to be inactive. If you are not currently a member of the project, please consider joining it or its parent project WikiProject Geography to help. This tag may be removed if activity resumes, or if this tag has been placed in error.
Some Wikipedians have formed a project to better organize information in articles related to country subdivisions. This page and its subpages contain their suggestions; it is hoped that this project will help to focus the efforts of other Wikipedians. If you would like to help, please inquire on the talk page and see the to-do list there.
This WikiProject aims primarily to provide information and a consistent format for the country subdivisions of the world.
- Use only one infobox template?
- Improve Wikipedia:Naming conventions (country subdivisions) bring it to policy status.
- country specific
- Regencies of Indonesia do not all use yet "X Regency" format as is wanted by Wikipedia:WikiProject_Indonesia/Naming_conventions#Subdivisions. Maybe help them.
- Districts of Laos need help.
The parent of this WikiProject is Countries.
The descendants of this WikiProject are:
- Chinese provinces
- Dutch municipalities
- Finnish provinces
- French régions
- German districts
- Indian states
- Japanese prefectures
- Pakistani districts
- Philippine LGUs
- Polish voivodships
- Russian federal subjects
- Swedish counties
- Swiss municipalities
- Thai provinces
- UK subdivisions
- Ukrainian subdivisions
- U.S. regions
- Vietnamese provinces
- Earl Andrew 03:52, 14 Mar 2005 (UTC) -- User_talk:Earl Andrew
- Golbez -- User_talk:Golbez
- Big Adamsky 13:09, 30 January 2006 (UTC) -- User_talk:Big Adamsky
- Húsönd -- User talk:Húsönd
- David Kernow (belatedly!)
- MrPanyGoff (talk) 11:59, 17 February 2011 (UTC)
First of all, the name is very important. The standard is still being drafted. People redirected here from articles should please look at the table on that page and see how it can be improved. No one knows how every single subnational entity is named; we need your help!
None of the structures here are to be imposed upon the child WikiProjects. Those are typically run by people who know their countries very well, and know exactly how to express them. For all other countries, this structure is useful until an organized project can be made.
Each article should at the very least contain the basic information - Name, local name, population if available, geographic location within country, etc. An infobox should be supplied even if not enough information is available; an infobox will likely need to be designed, a global one for those countries without specific projects. Those with specific projects likely already have a template.
Each article should list the subnational entities contained within that entity; i.e. an article on a U.S. state would include a list of the counties in that state, or a link to said list.
No classification of this project has been defined.
The goal of this project is to create an article for every country subdivison. Each such article should be named consistently and contain an infobox.
Reduce number of variants of article titles for country subdivisons - create a standard disambiguation format. Include category names.
- Wikipedia:Naming conventions (country subdivisions)
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Country subdivisions/Naming
- Category:Geography infobox templates