- Project news
- The current ongoing drive at WikiProject Film is the improvement of the Stub-Class articles from the Core article list. The aim is to improve these articles to Start-Class or better. The drive began with the 2011 update of the list, at which time 106 Stub-class articles remained—this is now down to 86.
- WP:FILM has several articles waiting to be reviewed for Good Article status: Rani Mukerji, Night of the Blood Beast, The Lion King, Match Point, 2001: A Space Odyssey (film), Taapsee Pannu, Motifs in the James Bond film series, Sjumandjaja, The Dirty Picture, Bipasha Basu, The Deer Hunter and Spencer Tracy. A significant number of these are on Asian cinema—you can help counter systemic bias by reviewing these articles!
- WP:FILM also has a number of articles hoping to gain Featured Article and List status: Atlantis: The Lost Empire (FAC), Jaws (film) (FAC), and List of accolades received by David Lynch (FLC). Night of the Living Dead is also currently undergoing a review of its Featured Article status.
- The Category:Film articles needing an image is quite large at 3,704 articles! You can help by even just adding one image a day to start working the list down. Information on finding and uploading images can be found on the infobox template page
- The past few weeks have seen the yearly ceremonies for some of the world's more prestigious film awards taking place—the 65th British Academy Film Awards (12/2), César Awards 2012 (24/2), and 84th Academy Awards (26/2).
- The ten most popular film-related articles this month were:
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011 film)
- War Horse (film)
- Red Tails
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
- The Dark Knight Rises
- Agneepath (2012 film)
- Underworld: Awakening
- The Artist (film)
- Internet Movie Database
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
- Spotlight Update: Multiple films and film-related articles have reached GA and FA status in January and February
- Member news
|Film pages by quality
|WikiWork factors (?)
||ω = 786,192
||Ω = 5.55
- Current proposals and discussions
- Coming to theaters
Opened last weekend (24/2):
Opening this weekend (2/3):
Opening next weekend (9/3):
Other March releases:
- Did you know...
- ... that Gangavataran was the first sound film, and the last film, to be directed by Dadasaheb Phalke?
- ... that The Art of Woo, starring Sook-Yin Lee and Adam Beach, was funded by a grant from the Canadian Film Centre's Featured Film Project?
- ... that the film 10 Promises to My Dog is based on a novel that was inspired by The Ten Commandments of Dog Ownership?
- ... that the tragic end of Raj Kapoor's film Aah (1953) was changed to a happy one after the film's release?
- ... that Albert Kirchner, who made many pornographic films, was the first filmmaker to direct a film about the life of Christ?
- ... that Spanish character actor José Manuel Martín starred in one of the earliest Spaghetti Westerns, Savage Guns (1961), and went on to become one of the most prolific villains of the genre?
- ... that Am Abend, a 1910 German film, was one of the earliest pornographic films?
- ... that English filmmaker Greta Schiller directed the 1976 short film Greta's Girls which is one of the first documentaries that focuses on lesbians?
- From the editors
If you've just joined, add your name to the Participants section of Wikipedia:WikiProject Film. You'll get a mention in the next issue of the Newsletter and get it delivered as desired. Also, please include your own promotions and awards in future issues. Don't be shy!
Lastly, this is your newsletter and you can be involved in the creation of the next issue (Issue 2 – March). Any and all contributions are welcome. Simply let yourself be known to any of the undersigned, or just start editing!
- Contributors to this issue