This page lists sources which have been assessed reliable for use in IRC articles, and the reasoning for them. See Talk for discussion of the processes.
As noted by User:Tothwolf (found the book references & created full citations) and User:Lexein (verified, added url= params), http://irc-junkie.org has been used, listed, or recommended as a source in 4 independent books about computing and the Internet; these suggest its reliability for use as a Wikipedia source about IRC. The following is a distillation and merge of comments as of this edit of Talk:Comparison of Internet Relay Chat clients#Article blanking and "sources":
- Shelly, Gary B.; Cashman, Thomas J.; Napier, H. Albert; Judd, Philip J. (April 11, 2007). "Real-time Online Communications". Discovering the Internet: Complete Concepts and Techniques (2nd ed.). Cengage Learning. pp. 223–224. ISBN 1-4188-5990-7.
You can learn more about IRC clients, networks, and channels at sites such as IRC-Junkie.org, New2chat.com, and IRCHelp.org.(College textbook)
- Kshetri, Nir (May 19, 2010). "Concluding Comments". The Global Cybercrime Industry: Economic, Institutional and Strategic Perspectives (1st ed.). Springer. p. 159. ISBN 3-642-11521-7.
[long quote of irc-junkie.org] and See "Help! I am being DoS'ed" at http://www.irc-junkie.org/content/a-DoS.php(Scholarly work)
- Padula, Marco; Reggiori, Amanda (February 4, 2010). "Riferimenti webliografici". Fondamenti di informatica per la progettazione multimediale. Dai linguaggi formali all'inclusione digitale (in Italian). Franco Angeli. p. 182. ISBN 88-464-7893-2.
"IRC Junkie - IRC news", http://www.irc-junkie.org/.
- Pranz, Sebastian (January 27, 2009). "Direkte Schrift-Kommunikation". Theatralität digitaler Medien: Eine wissenssoziologische Betrachtung medialisierten Alltagshandelns (in German) (1st ed.). VS Verlag. p. 128. ISBN 3-531-16243-8.
The Shelly and Ksherti reliable sources provide the best support for the existence of expertise at irc.junkie.org, though they are not scholarly works commending other scholarly works. This was all discussed and given limited approval at Reliable Sources/Noticeboard archived here. Quoting the conclusion of the discussion:
To be honest, this source doesn't meet Wikipedia's reliable sourcing policy. However, I believe this source is reliable due to expertise. The rules are standing in the way of the encyclopaedic project, and therefore, following Ignore All Rules I support this source being used very carefully as a reliable source for limited claims about irc. Where available, other sources should be used. Hopefully, eventually, irc-junkie.org will be cited in other scholarly works, further clarifying the expert element. Fifelfoo (talk) 15:04, 11 May 2011 (UTC)
Books citing or referring to Tobias Schlitt:
- Andi Gutmans, Stig Saether Bakken, Derick Rethans (2005) PHP 5 aus erster Hand. Addison Wesley Verlag. p. 662. ISBN 3-8273-2241-3 (in German). English tr.:"PEAR - License: PHP - By Tobias Schlitt (lead) Net_FTP provides an OO interface to the FTP functions of PHP and some accessories.")
- Bruno Pedro, Vitor Rodrigues(2007) PHP and Smarty on Large-Scale Web Development. O'Reilly Books Shortcuts. p. 9. ISBN 0-596-51379-8 "There are many sources of documentation about installing your own PEAR channel, but we recommend Tobias Schlitt's excellent tutorial, available at his blog, tinyurl.com/2doqj4."
Book by Schlitt as primary author:
- Tobias Schlitt, Kore Nordmann (2007) eZ Components: Das Entwickler Handbuch. Installation, Grundlagen, Praxis.: Inkl. Einführung in die MVC-Architektur. Galileo Computing (DE). ISBN: 978-3836210737. (in German).
Book including a chapter by Schlitt:
- Sebastian Bergmann, Stefan Priebsch (2010) Softwarequalität in PHP-Projekten. Chapter 7: Wie Man Einen WebDAV-Server testet. Hanser Fachbuchverlag (DE). ISBN: 978-3446419230 (in German)
So the schlitt.info blog now seems reliable per WP:RS, due to published expertise, and references by others in the field. It should be used only as a primary source about Schlitt's publications and products, but secondary about others.