Welcome to the Library of Congress WikiProject on the English Wikipedia! We are a group dedicated to improving Wikipedia's coverage of topics related to one of the world's largest libraries, the United States' Library of Congress.
The project generally considers any article related to the Library of Congress to be within its direct scope.
Our work covers:
- Library of Congress personnel, including both leaders, curators and other personnel on staff if they meet the appropriate criteria of notability
- Library of Congress affiliates, programs, events, functions and charities
- Artifacts, books, images, manuscripts and other media within the LOC collection (we need to clarify this a bit). For example, the Declaration of Independence or Thomas Paines Common Sense.
Once we begin major collaborations any articles written explicitly as part of it will fall into the project's indirect scope.
At a meeting with the Smithsonian, Wikipedians proposed the following cooperative activities between the Smithsonian and the Community. Many of these same activities could be applied to a cooperation with the Library of Conress as well:
- Meet-ups at the Library of Congress (LOC) for in-person development of high-importance collection content
- Wiki-Academies where Wikipedians teach LOC staff how to interact with Wikipedia and the Wikipedia community
- LOC staff workshops with Wikipedians to increase their awareness and use of LOC resources in article-writing
- Volunteer Support
- Wikipedian in Residence—A Wikipedian who can:
- Connect Wikipedians with curators and other LOC staff for collaborations
- Analyze and manage content on Wikipedia to best benefit the missions of both the LOC and the Wikipedia community
- Coordinate competitions to improve LOC-related text and media content on Wikipedia
- Improved access to LOC resources, such as libraries and archives, in turn allowing volunteers to improve research for Wikipedia content
- Content Development
- Wikipedian organization and development of LOC-related content on Wikipedia
- Clearer identification and attribution of media from, by the LOC on Wikimedia sites
- Image restoration and development for Wikimedia and LOC shared use (this has already happened on a couple occasions)
- The sharing of LOC media, such as images, animations and sounds, with Wikipedia to increase visibility of collections and use of materials
The list is only a proposed plan of action, and future events and activities will be planned with the cooperation of local members, project members, and various groups within the Library of Congress.
||Most viewed article
||Most viewed article count