|This WikiProject is believed to be semi-active. Activity is slower than it once was. See the WikiProject Guide for advice on reviving an inactive WikiProject.
Feel free to remove the
|Home||Participants||Assessment||Style guide||Templates||Resource library||Recognized content|
Welcome to WikiProject Mining!
Wikipedians have formed this collaboration resource and group dedicated to improving Wikipedia's coverage of mining, and the organization of information and articles on this topic. This project aims to provide factual, unbiased information on mineral resource mines, mining and mining related topics, from prehistory to the present.
It is hoped that this project will help to focus the efforts of other Wikipedians interested in the topic, be they mining professionals, fans of history, technology, or the geosciences, or anyone else. If you would like to help, please join the project, inquire on the talk page and see the to-do list below.
WikiProject Mining aims to increase the knowledge base of Wikipedia via focusing effort on improving articles related to
- Mining, be it placer, hard rock, coal, base metals, solution mining, or quarrying
- Geology articles related to mines, mineral deposits, ore genesis and theoretical metallogenic subjects
- Technology of mining - digging, crushing, blasting, excavators, etc.
- Mineral processing and extractive metallurgy - ore dressing, smelting, roasting, leaching, etc.
- Mineral resources - in a financial, geological, technical and practical sense
- Mining communities, regions and companies
- Mining/miners' biographies
The main category for the project is Category:Mining.
How to help
|To-do list for Wikipedia:WikiProject Mining:|
- Gold mining in Nevada: I added a bit, & put it on my to-do list, but this page needs work! See Talk:Gold mining in Nevada. Cheers, Pete Tillman (talk) 22:56, 28 January 2008 (UTC), Consulting Geologist, Arizona and New Mexico (USA)
- Diamond drilling needs some work and some expansion. It may need an entire re-write. I cleaned it up a bit, eliminated sentence fragments and added some tags for citations and expert attention, but it still has a long way to go, and I have no good references myself. ThanksTheseeker4 (talk) 17:04, 20 October 2008 (UTC)
- Elliot Lake - I have started creating pages for the historical Uranium mines in the area. Anyone who wishes to is welcome to contribute. I will eventually try to do the same for the Beaverlodge District. -- Turgan Talk 14:55, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
- Lengenbach Quarry - not a new article, but I just discovered it and templated the talk page. An interesting quarry, type locality of 27 valid minerals. Needs work. DuncanHill (talk) 18:18, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
- Portal:Mining - Looks like a good place to start. Turgan Talk 11:36, 20 June 2009 (UTC)
Please feel free to list your new Mining-related articles here (newer articles at the top, please). Any new articles that have an interesting or unusual fact in them, are at least over 1,500 characters, don't have any dispute templates on them, and cite their sources, should be suggested for the Did you know? box on the Wikipedia Main Page.
- Braemar Alliance (South Australia)
- Bromine production in the United States
- Molybdenum mining in the United States
- Iron mining in the United States
- Greenside Mine
- List of Show Mines
- List of copper production by company
- Mohawk Mining Company
- Canadian Mining in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Fowey Consols mine, Cornwall, copper
- Mount Morgan Mine, Queensland. Copper, gold and silver
- Mount Newman railway (iron ore)
- Goldsworthy railway (iron ore)
- Pilbara rail network (iron ore)
- Department of Mines and Petroleum (Western Australia)
- Diggers & Dealers
- BHP Billiton Ravensthorpe Nickel Project (Australia)
- Artisanal mining
- Extractive Sector CSR Counsellor (Canada)
- Marlin mine
- Holditch Colliery Disaster
- James M. Hyde
- Montana Resources LLP - nominated for speedy deletion
- File:Gold mines Kalgoorlie Leonora.jpg, Map of gold mines in the Kalgoorlie - Leonora region of Western Australia
- File:Gold mines Meekathara Leinster.jpg, Map of gold mines in the Meekatharra - Leinster region of Western Australia
- Wikipedia: WikiProject Rocks and Minerals
- Wikipedia: WikiProject Gemology and Jewelry
- Wikipedia: WikiProject Companies
- Wikipedia: WikiProject Energy, sharing coal mining topics
- Wikipedia: WikiProject Ghost towns
- Wikipedia: WikiProject Metalworking
- Wikipedia: WikiProject Organized Labor
- Wikipedia: WikiProject Archaeology, for stone age topics and industrial archaeology
If an article or topic has a specific regional focus (such as a specific mine or mining region), you might also consider asking those with local knowledge at one of the regional notice boards.
Place this on the talk page of any mining articles
Place this on the talk page beneath the project tag when an image would clearly improve the coverage of a physical object (e.g. mine, equipment). It will automatically add to a category for requested mining images. See the template for documentation on how to make a geographic-specific request (i.e. for an appeal to users in the region where a mine is located).
Place on a stub article that is under the scope of WikiProject Mining