|Member of the New Zealand Parliament|
for Labour party list
|Assumed office |
23 September 2017
|Political party||Labour (2006–present)|
|Alma mater||Victoria University of Wellington|
|Website||Labour Party profile|
Priyanca Radhakrishnan (Malayalam: പ്രിയങ്കാരാധാകൃഷ്ണൻ) is a New Zealand politician who was elected to the New Zealand parliament at the 2017 general election as a representative of the New Zealand Labour Party.
Early life and career
Radhakrishnan was born in southern India and grew up in Singapore before finally moving to New Zealand. She attended Victoria University of Wellington and graduated with a master's degree in Development Studies.
After graduating Radhakrishnan worked as a social worker amongst the Indian community in Auckland. She joined the Labour Party in 2006 and has worked on the internal party policy development process and has been active in both local and regional party organisation.
|New Zealand Parliament|
A the 2014 election, Radhakrishnan was ranked number 23 on the Labour Party list, the highest newcomer, but narrowly missed out on election due to a drop in Labour's party vote that year. In October 2016, Radhakrishnan was selected as Labour's candidate for the electorate of Maungakiekie for the 2017 election. She was also ranked number 12 on Labour's list, making her the highest-ranked Labour member not already an MP and a significant increase from her ranking three years earlier.
- "Indians add colour to political canvas". Indian Newslink. 14 September 2014. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- "Priyanka Radhakrishnan will be the most possible Labour candidate for Maungakiekie Electorate". India NZ Herald. 23 October 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- Parker, Elliot (25 June 2014). "Priyanca jumps up Labour list". Wairarapa Times-Age. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Priyanca Radhakrishnan". New Zealand Labour Party. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "Revised Labour Party List for the 2017 Election". Scoop.co.nz. 15 August 2017. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "Successful Candidates". Electoral Commission. 23 September 2017. Archived from the original on 28 September 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Christian, Harrison (11 November 2017). "Labour MP Priyanca Radhakrishnan mugged in broad daylight in Auckland". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
|This article about a New Zealand Labour Party politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|