Wikipedia:WikiProject Portuguese geography
Wikiproject Portugal geography aims to expand, define and establish some goals for the elaboration of content on Wikipedia and its sister projects, they include:
- To create guidelines and standards to assist articles related to the geography of Portugal and its dependencies (for example, municipalities, parishes, regions, and physical features);
- To educate users on the geographic terms and definitions common and unique to Portugal;
- To promote a comprehensive aesthetic and content elaboration;
- To facilitate and encourage translation of existing Portuguese articles from other wikis;
- To elaborate and expand content established in those wikis from valid, documented sources;
- To develop non-POV content, promote neutral elaboration and discourage bias editing from articles that fall within the Portuguese name-spaces;
- To attract editors from various wiki sister projects, with knowledge in the subject to contribute to the betterment of Portugal-related subjects.
A list of the participants, members or collaborators that have contributed to the success of the group:
- Deizio talk
- Grandmasterka... Obviously.
- User:Serte - Hm, why not? :)
- Ruben JC (Zeorymer) - with a Masters of Geography, GIS Technician; I am currently expanding geographic content in the Azores, and promoting the implementation of the Geobox standard, content elaboration and standards within the Portuguese namespaces.
To do items
Articles that describe the geography of Portugal are scattered throughout the Wikipedia name-space, and there is a lot that can be done to improve their content. The Portuguese Wikipedia has already expanded many details on subjects as diverse as parishes, mountains or rivers within continental Portugal and autonomous regions. Within the English Wikipedia, the process has been less dramatic. Here are some things that can assist in expanding content:
- Expand the main article, Geography of Portugal, to provide a comprehensive summary of the diversity within Portugal, from the human or physical aspects of its geography;
- Improve the Subdivisions of Portugal article, that has, as its function, the definition of the current hierarchal division of space within the Portuguese territory;
- Although most political divisions of the Portugal may have references, they are not elaborated in detail. With the added content from valid sources, including articles within the Portuguese Wikipedia, attempt to add detail on the legal divisions of Portugal:
- Analyze and/or elaborate the articles pertaining to Portuguese districts (for example, District of Faro), with the aim to providing comprehensive treatment on the subject;
- Analyze and/or elaborate the articles pertaining to Portuguese municipalities (for example, Alcácer do Sal), with the aim of providing comprehensive treatment on the subject;
- Analyze and/or elaborate the articles pertaining to Portuguese parishes (for example, Cedofeita), with the aim of providing comprehensive treatment on the subject;
- From a geographical perspective, Portugal is not limited to the human aspects (administrative divisions, economic, social and cultural), there are many physical features that need content review or updates. In particular, mountain ranges, rivers and parks that distinguish Portugal from other nations. For an example of an expanded physical geography elaboration, check the article on the Guadiana River for an example of best practices on content elaboration.
- The Geography page describes the fundamentals of a geographic treatment of the subject, by identifying what is geographic. Along with Wikipedia:WikiProject Portugal, be bold and expand all content associated with Portugal.
- Assess or assign category definitions for geographic subjects.
This Wikiproject promotes the expansion of all articles with valid sources, in keeping with Wikipedian principals, and in particular suggesting the following guidelines, when elaborating content:
Territorially, Portugal is administered by three administrative entities in law: the national government, the municipality and the civil parish. Cities, towns and typical traditional notions of settlement, are not defined by law. The latter, although acceptable for describing urbanized areas, are not physically demarcated, nor do they have an administrative government. Consequently, most information on political divisions, the composition, structure, statistics, histories, etc., should be identified in terms of one of the above administrative units (municipality or parish).
When creating new articles, or in general, we must strive for a specific naming convention for administrative units, derived by consensus:
<specific unit> (<larger entity>)
This may be interpreted as:
Avoid creating locality pages since they are not legal entities, nor do they usually have enough information to make them more than perpetual stubs.
All municipal or parish articles should implement a top-level Infobox, or Geobox, to provide content-rich summaries on all geographic namespaces. The Geobox can be re-categorized for any of the Wiki Sister projects, using local idioms, and covers all geographic categories necessary to summarize the geographic extent of the administrative unit. The Geobox standard eliminates the need to redesign a new Infobox for each nation, since it includes many of the basic categories common, as well as free-form categories that expand the versatility of the original design.
Similarly, the Geobox has expanded categories, implemented to elaborate content for physical entities, such as mountains, valleys, water bodies, protected areas and buildings, in a format that is complementary, that fits in with the Wikipedia aesthetic. These formats utilize a similar system of fleixble categories and free-form entries that will provide more detailed inputs then the typical Infobox. Examples of this can be seen in the Lisbon and Oporto articles, as well as the islands, municipalities and parishes of the Azores and Madeira. For examples, see the article on Faial, Angra do Heroísmo or São João (Abrantes) which have implemented Geobox formats, and compare them to the following sites: the municipality of Melgaço or the parish of Brotas, that use the basic Infobox.
- Category:Portugal subdivision templates
- Category:Portuguese parishes by municipality navigational boxes, for parishes by municipality templates. When creating similar templates, keep the standard and categorize it.
- I'm creating several templates of the "parishes by municipality" type, if you want to help, check Template:Parishes of Almada, for example. Mário 17:10, 8 July 2006 (UTC)
- Revision of the WikiProject Portuguese geography page: initiating process of revitalization of the Wikiproject. Ruben JC (Zeorymer) (talk) 13:54, 22 October 2010 (UTC)