Welcome to WikiProject Theatre! The goal of this project is to improve all articles relating to theatre, making Wikipedia one of the best online resources on the subject.
As it currently stands, the vast majority of these articles are in need of some serious attention. While many of the important topics do have existing articles, the quality of these can be quite poor. If you would like to participate in the project, please sign up below, look for jobs in the to-do list, and join in with project-related discussions at the talk page.
Any and all articles related to theatre on Wikipedia, including, but not limited to:
- Drama (including plays)
- Theatrical biographies (such as playwrights, actors, directors, producers and theatre companies)
- Theatre history (including Greek theatre, Chinese theatre, Roman theatre, Commedia dell'arte, Kabuki, Renaissance theatre, Epic theatre etc.)
- Modern theatre (i.e. Experimental theatre, Theatre of Cruelty, Physical theatre etc.)
- Genres (Comedy, Tragedy, etc.)
- Theatres, i.e. theatre buildings, venues and structures
- Stagecraft topics
- Comedy and Parody
Theatre is a very broad topic! There are several descendant and related projects to help organise work on theatrical articles:
- Musicals, and biographies relating solely to musical theatre.
- Gilbert and Sullivan.
- The finer details of Stagecraft.
- Shakespeare and English Renaissance theatre
- To improve the quality of articles on theatre, bringing articles on important topics up to featured article standard.
- To create articles to cover the topic of theatre comprehensively, including articles on non-western theatre.
- To make Wikipedia the finest, most comprehensive resource of theatre topics available online.
The entire subject and Wikipedia's coverage of it is intended to be summarized in the Outline of theatre. It in turn is part of Wikipedia's outline system which is one of Wikipedia's main contents systems.
Please look it over and fill-in missing topics. If Wikipedia has an article or article section about those topics, please add links to them.
While analyzing the outline, please answer the following questions (and fix the outline as needed):
- What's missing?
- Is the structure of the outline (sections and indents) representative of the subject?
- Does the outline help understand the relationships between the topics presented in the best way possible?
The overall purpose of the outline is to help readers comprehend the subject by showing what belongs to it, and within the subject what belongs to what.
The outline is a taxonomy of the subject, and also serves as a table of contents and navigation aid to browse Wikipedia's articles (and article sections) about the subject.
It is also a useful tool for the WikiProject to analyze, plan, develop, and revise theatre-related material. It is a hub from which to organize related topics.
Please help improve it.
It's our bird's eye view.
- Improve top priority theatre articles (stubs | start-class | C-class | B-class)
- Create new articles - we have a list of plays and related articles identified by the project at articles needing creation, or see the Theatre section of Wikipedia requested articles.
- Prioritise work on articles found in unknown-importance Theatre articles - see article assessment to help decide if an article is of top, high, mid or low importance to the project.
- Collaboration of the month - vote for the focus of next month's efforts.
- ...or work towards our goals in any way you can!
|To-do list for Wikipedia:WikiProject Theatre:|
Did you know
- 14 Jun 2019 – Damiano Michieletto was nominated for DYK by Gerda Arendt (t · c); see discussion
- 11 Jun 2019 – May Hollinworth was nominated for DYK by RebeccaGreen (t · c); see discussion
- 30 May 2019 – Liu Housheng was nominated for DYK by Zanhe (t · c); see discussion
Articles for deletion
- 21 Jun 2019 – Vera Shpak was AfDed by Kirill Samredny (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 12 Jun 2019 – Ronald Armbrust was AfDed by HM Wilburt (t · c); see discussion ( ; relisted)
- 16 Jun 2019 – Indhuja Ravichandran AfDed by Velella (t · c) was closed as keep by Filelakeshoe (t · c) on 23 Jun 2019; see discussion ( )
Categories for discussion
- 16 Mar 2019 – Category:British actors of Chinese descent was CfDed by Tom.Reding (t · c); see discussion
- 16 Mar 2019 – Category:American actors of Chinese descent was CfDed by Tom.Reding (t · c); see discussion
- 16 Mar 2019 – Category:Actors of Vietnamese descent was CfDed by Tom.Reding (t · c); see discussion
- 16 Mar 2019 – Category:Actors of Korean descent was CfDed by Tom.Reding (t · c); see discussion
- 16 Mar 2019 – Category:Actors of Japanese descent was CfDed by Tom.Reding (t · c); see discussion
- 16 Mar 2019 – Category:Actors of Iranian descent was CfDed by Tom.Reding (t · c); see discussion
- 16 Mar 2019 – Category:Actors of Indian descent was CfDed by Tom.Reding (t · c); see discussion
- 16 Mar 2019 – Category:Actors of Chinese descent was CfDed by Tom.Reding (t · c); see discussion
Files for discussion
- 25 Jun 2019 – File:NATIONAL ART THEATRE.jpg (on National Arts Theatre) was FfDed by Magog the Ogre (t · c); see discussion
- 25 Jun 2019 – File:NationalArtsTheatre.jpg (on 1, 2, 3) was FfDed by Magog the Ogre (t · c); see discussion
Featured article candidates
- 14 May 2019 – Albert Camus has been put up for PR by Cinadon36 (t · c); see discussion
- 05 Nov 2017 – Lord Chamberlain has been put up for PR by Jlingreen (t · c); see discussion
Click to watch (Subscribe via RSS Atom)
|Theatre articles by quality and importance|
|WikiWork factors (?)||ω = 71,741||Ω = 5.16|
|Articles assessed for quality: 100% complete|
Former Featured Articles
- See Wikipedia:WikiProject Theatre/Featured Articles for a list of current and former featured articles.
Did you know (DYK)s
|WikiProject Theatre||(Rated NA-class)|
- The descendants of this WikiProject are
- WikiProject Elizabethan Theatre - now defunct
- WikiProject Musical Theatre
- WikiProject New York City/Theatre (inactive)
- Similar WikiProjects are
- WikiProject Dance
- WikiProject Opera
- WikiProject Literature
- WikiProject Shakespeare
- WikiProject Circus
- WikiProject Stagecraft
- Category:Musical theatre
- List of playwrights
- Movie palaces list
- List of musicals
- List of Canadian plays
- List of early-modern women playwrights (UK)
- Links to recent changes in theatre-related articles
- Internet Broadway Database
- Internet Movie Database - contains a surprising amount of information on live theatre.
- Playbill Magazine - information on current theatre.
- TheatreLinks - information on historic American theatres.
- Cinema Treasures - information about historic theatres that have served as cinemas.
- Internet Theatre Database
- de:Portal:Theater - the Theatre portal on the German Wikipedia
- AusStage - Gateway to the Australian Performing Arts
- Global Performing Arts Database
Project Theatre: Page view statistics
Wikipedia:WikiProject Theatre/Popular pages - this page shows which pages in this Project receive the most traffic. Gives an idea of which pages are popular and might need attention (if their quality level is not as high as we would wish).
- Steven Walling
- Dionysos Proteus
- Robert Greer
- Thomprod - stage manager, lighting designer, orchestra conductor, rehearsal pianist
- Mark E (talk)
- Declan Clam
- Mdukas - trained audience member
- Mfs1013 wants to program moving lights for theatre
- Matthewrbowker - High School Thespian, Lighting Designer
- Aaron Booth - Actor
- Blethering Scot
- ArtifexMayhem - Professional.
- Beth Phillips - Ph.D English/Theatre History. Doctoral dissertation on Clifford Odets; currently writing biography of Odets.
- Tito Dutta (talk)
- Sirkablaam Just did some theatre in high school and college.
- Jburlinson Restoration theatre and American theater.
- Maxim Stoyalov
- The Dancing Badger (talk)
- Saslos Theatre designers
- Alexandru M. (talk · contribs)
- Abishe (talk · contribs)
- Andrew Hendo (talk · contribs)
- Bardoleg (talk · contribs)
- ClarityKTMpls (talk · contribs)
- Menmsha Actor, musician. Primarily interested in Los Angeles theatre.
- PhantomRed Actor, singer.
- Kevin M Marshall
- Girl-razor, primarily interested in European theatre
- Duckie for broadway
- Canadian Scouter
- Steven J. Anderson
- Carole Higgins
- John Thaxter
- Sebbi - primarily interested in contemporary theatre practices.
- KlickingKarl - interest in UK theatre buildings.
- Brettstout Interest in movie palaces
- CPolo Interested in amateur theater
- Thatguykalem - Trained actor.
- Sean - HS Thespian and techie
- 15lsoucy - Plays of Racine
- waltjohnson - BA and MFA in Technical Theatre w/pro exp. ad Tech Dir, Asst Tech Dir, and Production Mgr
- OperaticNun - Interested in Irish and Shakespearean/classical theatre
- Sum (talk) 10:13, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
- Act Class 1742
- ÇaCestCharabia - PhD Candidate in Theatre History
- Jwyllie - primary interest in improvisational theatre - co-founder of Canadian Improv Games - studied under David Shepherd
- JoyceJoyce1 - Professional.
- Alexroller - Professional actor doing mostly amateur productions, intend to pursue as a career.
- James Fahringer
- Alla Breve
- Leigh C. Tyler
- User:Nightenbelle - Minor in theater, Former High school Thespian, High School Theater Teacher, Active in the Twin Lakes Playhouse Community Theater.
- Dental plan (Lisa needs braces)
- Rosario Berganza
- Voltaire&Leibniz Enlightenment France and ancient Greek plays.
- Ninquelosse Oscar Wilde's plays
- Parasitaster - Elizabethan/Jacobean theatre; musical theatre; opera.
- Bd1896 - Ph.D. in Theatre/English Professor. 19c/early 20c US theatre.
- Chickeninapram - Deputy technical mgr RSC 1998-2003
- tomnnnn PhD Student. Interested in contemporary British theatre.
- Solness (talk · contribs)
- jwvarner Confused peasant looking for guidance.
- Paracosms (talk · contribs)
- User:aka bekka Modern Theater , Performance, live art
- Caleb Bond - Actor
- poisonborz Hungarian theatres and actors