This page contains a list of image resources which may be useful to WikiProject Volcanoes, for enhancing articles within its scope. Many excellent images can be found on Wikimedia Commons, especially in the categories listed at right. Note that many images which are available on Commons are not properly categorized yet, so it is helpful to also search directly for images there.
Thousands of other useful free images can be found on the websites listed below. In general, free images from these sites should be uploaded to Commons instead of the English Wikipedia, so that they can easily be used in Wikipedia articles in any language.
Please add any other useful websites to the lists below, along with any search tips.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
- A useful trick for finding public domain images via Google is to type "site:gov search terms" into the Google Images search box. This will find images hosted on any U. S. government website, and almost all of those images are in the public domain. For example, http://images.google.com/images?q=site:gov+shishaldin.
- Creative Commons has a Search Engine dedicated to images tagged for commercial reuse. The images utility is highly useful for finding images that are usable on Wikipedia.
- A list of basic search tips is available online.
Public domain image resources
Sites which have volcano, volcanology, and igneous rock photos:
- http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/ - U.S. Geological Survey Photographic Library
- http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/ - The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth
- http://photo.itc.nps.gov/storage/images/ - National Park Service Digital Image Archives
- http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/ - NOAA Photo Library
- http://photolibrary.usap.gov/ - Antarctic Photo Library
- http://pictures.fws.gov/ - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service pictures
- http://images.fws.gov/ - More U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service imagery
- http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/hazardimages/ NGDC Images of Geologic Hazards
Specific USGS photo CD collections:
- http://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds-80/ - Selected Images of the Pu‘u ‘O‘o–Kupaianaha Eruption, 1983–1997
- http://geopubs.wr.usgs.gov/dds/dds-72/ - 2000 multibeam sonar survey of Crater Lake, Oregon; data, GIS, images, and movies
- http://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds-40/ - Volcanoes of the Alaska Peninsula and Aleutian Islands—Selected Photographs
- http://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds-39/ - Volcanoes of the Wrangell Mountains and Cook Inlet Region, Alaska—Selected Photographs
- http://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds-24/ - Images of Kilauea East Rift Zone Eruption, 1983-1993
- http://gliff.org/usgs/ (DDS-21) - Earth science photographs from the U.S. Geological Survey Library
Other free image resources
- Flickr (link) has many photos of volcanoes, mountains, and islands throughout the world, including many locations for which no other photos appear to be available online. There is a special section (http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/) for pictures tagged with a Creative Commons license. Note that images with NoDerivs or NonCommercial are non-free Creative Commons licenses and cannot be used on Wikipedia. See Wikipedia:Image copyright tags/Deprecated#Non-free Creative Commons licenses for a list of unacceptable licenses, while acceptable licenses are listed at Wikipedia:Image copyright tags/Free licenses. In some cases, it may be possible to ask a Flickr user by email to change an image license from non-free to one which is acceptable for use here. All acceptable images from Flickr should be uploaded to Commons.