Welcome to WikiProject Women! We're a group of editors who aim to improve Wikipedia's coverage of women's topics. WikiProject Women brings Wikipedia users of all genders, sexual orientations, geographic locations, and personal backgrounds together to discuss and collaborate on coverage of women's content across Wikipedia. Know that we warmly welcome you to participate in the project's scope, whether or not you are a project member.
|Affiliates of |
|Warfare and military|
|Wiki Loves Women (Africa)|
|Women's History Month|
Missing articles department:|
Women in Red
Article improvement department:|
Women in Green
Gender gap task force
This project addresses the under-representation of content on Wikipedia about women (both real and fictional) and covering women's perspectives. Women are only 17% of Wikipedia posts. It also addresses women's works, such as the paintings they created, books they wrote, scientific discoveries they made or the organizations they created. Think of this as an umbrella group which unites more specific women's projects, one which attempts to look broadly at coverage of women on Wikipedia as part of the bigger picture and how we can improve it. Readers and editors may not know that there's a project for women artists, scientists or writers, but if they reach this page, they can fork away to more specific areas if they wish.
First and foremost, this project is about "content", including creating new articles and adding or improving content in existing articles! Our Featured Articles and Good Articles are the best examples of our work. To counter Wikipedia's systemic bias against covering women's biographies, women's work and women's perspectives, which occurs because the vast majority of editors are male (see the article on Gender bias in Wikipedia for more details), we have a department, Women in Red, that works on missing articles about notable women.
We track lots of areas connected with Women+Wikipedia. Some of these include new articles, articles posted in the Did you know? section of Wikipedia's main page, events, meetups, edit-a-thons, scholarly articles, and newspaper articles.
What can you do?
For those who like to write, you can create, expand or improve articles. For general guidelines for writing biographies, there are several resources, such as the Women in Red's Primer for creating women's biographies, Manual of style for biographies, writing about women (a helpful essay), the biographies of living persons policy, and the notability guideline for biographies.
Creating articles that will survive an Article for Deletion review requires that, at minimum, the new article cite several reliable sources such as published books and major newspapers and magazines, and that the text not be copied directly from another website or another source. If there is already an article about a woman or a woman's work, you can expand the article by adding information. To avoid having your added sentences "reverted" (removed), you should provide a reliable source for any information or claim that is likely to be challenged. You do not have to provide a source for "The capital of France is Paris", but a statement about an award that a woman won or a scientific achievement she made should usually be sourced.
Another task for editors who want to reduce gender bias on Wikipedia is to review articles about women to look for biased writing, such as text that defines women primarily in terms of their relationship to other people. An article about a woman scientist should begin more like this:
Susan Trang (1900–1980) was a Canadian astronomer. She is known for her series of comet discoveries in the 1930s, her books on astrophysics and for winning the Nebula Award in 1975.
Susan Trang (1900–1980) was a Canadian astronomer. She was the daughter of scientist [name of father], the wife of [name of husband], the noted [name of profession] and the mother of [name of adult child], the well-known [child's profession].
The essay "Writing About Women" covers these matters in more detail.
There are a lot of non-writing tasks which need attention too, such as tagging the talk pages of relevant articles with project banners associated with sister and daughter projects, assessing article quality on talk pages, improving biography categorization at Category:Women by occupation, and adding reliable sources to existing articles, particularly for articles about women or their work that are proposed for deletion. (In some cases, a handful of reliable, high-quality sources can save an article from being deleted.) Other non-writing tasks include adding categories to articles (an article about a woman engineer may be categorized under Canadian engineers, but there may be other categories that she could fit into, such as Canadian professors, Canadian authors or Canadian inventors); adding images of women or their works or creations to articles (see adding images essay); and wiki-linking terms and names within the article. (If you link men in a woman's article, it is good practice to go to the men's articles and ensure that the woman is linked in those articles as well.)
If you have questions about these tasks or editing in general, leave a note on our talk page or stop by the Teahouse where there are hosts standing by to answer questions from newer editors.
How are we organized?
WikiProject Women has a loose affiliation with many other WikiProjects, Task Forces, and a User Group; check out our Affiliates navigation box for a list of them. WikiProject Women has several departments, including article creation, article improvement, DYK? articles, and events. They are described in more detail on this page and if you follow their links.
If you would like to help, please add your user name to the members' list! Anyone with a Wikipedia user account—regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity—is free to join. If you do not already have a free Wikipedia user account, click here to read some reasons to create one. Joining the project is easy! Add your name here in alphabetical order:
- Afifa Afrin
- Alanna the Brave
- Barbara (WVS)
- Blossom Ozurumba
- Chabota Kanguya
- Daphne Lantier
- DENAMAX Maxim Stoyalov
- FloNight/Sydney Poore
- Gaia Octavia Agrippa
- Gerda Arendt
- Grand'mere Eugene
- Krishna Chaitanya Velaga
- Lena Key
- Lu Brito
- Luis Arturo Romero Granados
- Megan OBrien
- Million Moments
- Netha Hussain
- Penny Richards
- peter merrick
- Pharaoh of the Wizards
- Philip Cross
- PR6029.R8 A6
- Rich Farmbrough
- Sumita Roy Dutta
- T. Anthony
- The Vintage Feminist
- See Wikipedia:WikiProject Women/Featured Articles for a complete list of articles on women which have reached Featured Article status.
- See Wikipedia:WikiProject Women/Good Articles for a list of over 500 articles on women which have reached Good Article status.
Good article of the week
Fatima Massaquoi-Fahnbulleh (1904–1978) was a pioneering educator in Liberia. After completing her education in the United States, she returned to Liberia in 1946, where she contributed much to the cultural and social life of the country.
Born into a family of African royalty, Massaquoi grew up in the care of an aunt in Njagbacca, in the Garwula District of Grand Cape Mount County of southern Liberia. After seven years, she returned to the northwestern part of the country in Montserrado County, where she began her schooling. In 1922 she accompanied her father, a diplomat, to Hamburg, Germany, where she completed her studies in medicine at the University of Hamburg in 1937. She moved to the United States for further education, studying sociology and anthropology at Lane College, Fisk University and Boston University. While in the US, she collaborated on a dictionary of the Vai language and wrote her autobiography, though a legal battle ensued over the rights to her story. She won an injunction barring others from publishing and returned to Liberia in 1946, immediately beginning collaboration to establish a university there, which would become the University of Liberia.
GA focus of the month
- January 2016: Women in Music. See Category:Lists of women in music for pertinent lists.
- List candidates of interest here
- Mami Kawada - recently promoted to GA
Did You Know?
Current article statistics
|WikiProject Women pages by quality|
Did you know
- 15 Dec 2018 – Lisa Buckwitz was nominated for DYK by Joseph2302 (t · c); see discussion:
- 13 Dec 2018 – Disappearance of Heather Elvis was nominated for DYK by Daniel Case (t · c); see discussion
- 10 Dec 2018 – 1971 Women's World Cup was nominated for DYK by GiantSnowman (t · c); see discussion:
- 09 Dec 2018 – Wanda Harper Bush was nominated for DYK by Dawnleelynn (t · c); see discussion:
- 07 Dec 2018 – Dorothée Munyaneza was nominated for DYK by Joseph2302 (t · c); see discussion:
- 07 Dec 2018 – Annie Park was nominated for DYK by Giants2008 (t · c); see discussion:
- 06 Dec 2018 – Geeta Parikh was nominated for DYK by Nizil Shah (t · c); see discussion:
- 05 Dec 2018 – Josephine Heffernan was nominated for DYK by Joseph2302 (t · c); see discussion:
- 03 Dec 2018 – Greta Thunberg was nominated for DYK by Gfosankar (t · c); see discussion:
- 02 Dec 2018 – Clare Faulds was nominated for DYK by Joseph2302 (t · c); see discussion:
- (15 more...)
Articles for deletion
- 16 Dec 2018 – List of Native American women artists was AfDed by Yuchitown (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 15 Dec 2018 – Deirdre Eberly Lashgari was AfDed by Onel5969 (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 15 Dec 2018 – Alice Cooper Bailey was AfDed by DeltaQuad (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 14 Dec 2018 – Tuti Yusupova was AfDed by The Blade of the Northern Lights (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 13 Dec 2018 – Yulia Mayboroda was AfDed by RTY9099 (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 13 Dec 2018 – Darya Poverennova was AfDed by RTY9099 (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 13 Dec 2018 – Vivien Keszthelyi was AfDed by Corvus tristis (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 11 Dec 2018 – Isha Ambani was AfDed by Domdeparis (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 10 Dec 2018 – The Thompson Sisters was AfDed by Darth Mike (t · c); see discussion ( )
- 10 Dec 2018 – Melena Maria was AfDed by TheLongTone (t · c); see discussion ( ; relisted)
- (15 more...)
- 17 Dec 2018 – Makoto Takeda was PRODed by Lullabying (t · c):
- 13 Dec 2018 – Shirley van der Lof was PRODed by Corvus tristis (t · c):
- 13 Dec 2018 – Gail Curry was PRODed by Liz (t · c)
- 13 Dec 2018 – Sneha Sharma PRODed by Corvus tristis (t · c) was deproded by Fecotank (t · c) on 16 Dec 2018
- 03 Dec 2018 – Lisa Bartlett PRODed by John from Idegon (t · c) was deleted
Templates for discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game B2 was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game SF2 was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game SF1 was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game R7 was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game R5SF2 was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game R5SF1 was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game R5 was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game GM was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game BM was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Template:2018 Asian Games women's rugby sevens game B6 was TfDed by JJMC89 (t · c); see discussion
- (10 more...)
Files for discussion
- 17 Dec 2018 – File:Lorde Rolling Stone, 2014.jpg (on Lorde) was FfDed by De88 (t · c); see discussion
Featured article candidates
Good article nominees
- 02 Dec 2018 – Ankita Bhakat was GA nominated by MBlaze Lightning (t · c); start discussion
- 21 Nov 2018 – Anna-Marie McLemore was GA nominated by Angelcake57 (t · c); start discussion
- 15 Nov 2018 – Mary Hogarth was GA nominated by Joseph2302 (t · c); see discussion
- 12 Nov 2018 – Adriana Lima was GA nominated by Trillfendi (t · c); start discussion
- 04 Nov 2018 – Girlamatic was GA nominated by Maplestrip (t · c); start discussion
- 03 Nov 2018 – Naomi Osaka was GA nominated by Sportsfan77777 (t · c); start discussion
- 09 Sep 2018 – Aryna Sabalenka was GA nominated by Sportsfan77777 (t · c); start discussion
- 25 Aug 2018 – Locked in Time was GA nominated by Fearstreetsaga (t · c); start discussion
- 24 Aug 2018 – Ida Tarbell was GA nominated by Auldhouse (t · c); start discussion
- 23 Aug 2018 – Hannah Arendt was GA nominated by Michael Goodyear (t · c); see discussion
- (7 more...)
Featured article reviews
Good article reassessments
- 10 Nov 2018 – Emily Ratajkowski was nominated for GA reassessment by Trillfendi (t · c); see discussion
Requests for comments
- 15 Dec 2018 – Linda Sarsour has an RfC by Sangdeboeuf (t · c); see discussion
- 07 Dec 2018 – Stav Shaffir has an RfC by Dorian Gray Wild (t · c); see discussion
- 03 Dec 2018 – Elizabeth Warren has an RfC by Yetishawl (t · c); see discussion
- 01 Dec 2018 – Sammi Giancola has an RfC by DA1 (t · c); see discussion
- 26 Nov 2018 – Carrie Rentschler has an RfC by Shashi Sushila Murray (t · c); see discussion
- 20 Nov 2018 – Jackie Walker (activist) has an RfC by Slatersteven (t · c); see discussion
- 05 Nov 2018 – Jennifer Aniston has been put up for PR by ArturSik (t · c); see discussion
- 27 Sep 2018 – Indiggo has been put up for PR by Vyeh (t · c); see discussion
- 26 Aug 2018 – Lana Turner has been put up for PR by Drown Soda (t · c); see discussion
- 16 Dec 2018 – Shunzei's Daughter is requested to be moved by Hijiri88 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – Alex Mayer (politician) is requested to be moved by Unreal7 (t · c); see discussion
- 15 Dec 2018 – IF Limhamn Bunkeflo (women) is requested to be moved by Bring back Daz Sampson (t · c); see discussion
- 07 Dec 2018 – Mottainai Grandma is requested to be moved by Hijiri88 (t · c); see discussion
- 03 Dec 2018 – Marina and the Diamonds is requested to be moved by Unreal7 (t · c); see discussion
- 03 Dec 2018 – Highway of Tears murders is requested to be moved by Nfox24 (t · c); see discussion
- 13 Dec 2018 – Sue Isle move request by Leeece (t · c) was ; see discussion
- 08 Dec 2018 – Genesis Rodriguez move request by Philip J Fry (t · c) was ; see discussion
- 05 Dec 2018 – KeyArena move request by Zzyzx11 (t · c) was ; see discussion
Articles where content about women has been deleted
- In Conducting, a section about the role of women conductors was deleted.
- Create an invitation template
- Create a barnstar template
- TAMARA RASAMNY. 'Mind the Gap: Highlighting Women's Representation on Wikipedia'https://www.demworks.org/mind-gap-highlighting-womens-representation-wikipedia.
- Gender bias on Wikipedia
- Biases in Wikipedia essay
- Writing about women (essay)
- WP:HER, an essay encouraging the use of female pronouns (she, her)