Wikipedia:WikiProject Women in Red/Meetup/211
|Global event||"New Zealand & Australia" event||"Kenya" event||"Ghana" event||"Pakistan" event||"American timezones" event||"UK" events||Resources|
Ada Lovelace Day:
24-Hour Global Edit-a-thon
AdaWiki24.org on 12 October 2021
|Hello! and welcome to WikiProject Women in Red (WiR), whose objective is to turn red links into blue ones. Our project's scope is women's biographies and women's works, broadly construed. Did you know that, according to Humaniki, only 19.25% of the English Wikipedia's biographies are about women? Not impressed? Content gender gap is a form of systemic bias, and this is what WiR addresses. We invite you to participate, whenever you like, in whatever way suits you and your schedule.|
Women in Red warmly welcomes you!
12 October 2021
|Use social media to promote our work!|
|Wiki Women in Red|
|October 2021 editathons|
|Add to articles|
|Add to article talk pages|
Given the success of our presentations at Wikimania and the need for more contributors to write about women and their works, Women in Red (WiR) is celebrating Ada Lovelace Day—12 October—with a round-the-clock online edit-a-thon. Online events in Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Kenya and UK timezones, focused on the biographies of women in STEM, will offer inspiring presentations and extensive support, especially for new contributors creating their first articles about women.
By means of simply presented exercises in the basic features of Wikipedia editing, we hope to see newcomers embark on their first creative assignments. Those of you who have not yet tried your hand at beginning new articles will be guided on the road to success, both through these events and by personal mentoring.
- Below, you'll find the events, as well as sections for listing the articles you create or improve and the images you upload to the Wikimedia Commons.
- This essay on creating women's biographies and our Ten Simple Rules might be helpful to newer editors. WiR also maintains a list of biographical resources to aid in searching for sources.
- If you share any of the articles on social media, please indicate this next to the article name.
Questions or comments during the event?
- On-wiki: post at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Women in Red
- Off-wiki: connect with us on Twitter at @wikiwomeninred
version 2 schedule; click to enlarge!
New Zealand and Australia
Date: Tuesday 12 October 2021
Time: Noon – 10.00 pm NZST / 10:00 am – 8:00 pm AEST (12.00am BST UK time)
Location: Online (zoom link via registration through Eventbrite. Links on page)
- Four workshop sessions across time zones in New Zealand and Australia. Open to all levels of new editors wanting to learn how to create a biography of a notable STEM women. We have people to teach you!
- Online sessions with open chat rooms for experienced editors to create content in a collegial environment. Join the zoom link whenever you are able.
Kenya and Pakistan
|Session||Local Time||UK time||Register|
|Kenya||14:00 - 16:00 pm||13:00 - 16:00 pm||Kenya session, coaching available for new people or join an editing room||Zoom link via Eventbrite|
|Pakistan||8:00 pm- 10:00 pm||16:00 - 18:00 pm||Pakistan based session, coaching available for new people or join an editing room||TBA|
Time: 2 p.m.(UK time) (1 p.m UTC)
Link: via Eventbrite here.
Time: 12:00 - 2 p.m UTC
|Session||Local Time||UK time||Register|
|Salt Lake City, USA||16:30 - 18:30 pm MDT||23:30 - 01:30 pm||Salt Lake City session, slapdash coaching available from KarenJoyce - more coaches welcome||Zoom link via Meetup|
Wikipedia Weekly videocast
Join us for live editing Wikipedia Weekly videocast at 1pm EDT/5 pm UTC. Working with @Rosiestep @restlesscurator @SiobhanLeachman @WikiWomenInRed @Fuzheado on the Timeline of women in computing and more.
Other event planners are warmly welcomed to add their details and links.
Not attending one of these events? Join our virtual editathon! Please register with the Dashboard (a place where progress is counted and articles are allocated).
- paul2520 💬
- Kunokuno 💬
- Innisfree987 (talk)
- lajmmoore (User talk:lajmmoore|talk]])
- ☕ Antiqueight chatter
WiR maintains a wide variety of red-link lists. Some of the most relevant to this event are listed below.
Crowd-sourced (CS) and Wikidata (WD) red-link lists: women's biographies in other language versions of Wikipedia:
- Note: for those listed in the Dictionary of Women Worldwide, some corresponding entries may be found at Encyclopedia.com or, for access to all, by signing up for the Wikipedia Library's free bundle and then using this search option.
Add other red links here, if possible with a source:
Promote our work
You can find the new and improved articles here, as they are created. Do feel free to publicise them and you can record this below. Thank you.
- Add FB after the article if you mention it on Facebook
- Add PIN after the article if you pin the image on Pinterest
- Add TW after the article if you tweet it on Twitter; use the hashtag #WikiAda24
- Add IG after the article if you post it on Instagram
Please add your new articles here:
- Jennifer H. Martin
- Mary Belle Allen
- Marnie Halpern
- Barbara Nowak
- Adele Hofmann
- Sue Gardiner
- Maureen Baker (sociologist)
- Dorcas Brigham - PIN
- Joanna M. Kain
- Ellen Heine - PIN
- Doreen Thomas
- Janet Wilmshurst
- Lynnette Ferguson
- Ruth Davidow - PIN
- Ruth Dyk - PIN
- Hilda Kincaid - PIN
- Marieke Lettink
- Janet Irwin FB
- Kathleen Pih-Chang
- Joan Chapple
- Cathy Edwards (software engineer)
- Mavis Melville Davidson
- Kerry Gibson
- Makarena Dudley
- Joan Gardner (microbiologist)
- Hilda Gardner - PIN
- Jean Littlejohn FB TW
- Yolarnie Amepou
- Rose Lu
- Melva Philipson
- Shari Gallop
- Brigida Antónia Correia
- Miliama Simeona - PIN
- Olwen Wooster
- Kennie Tsui
- Christine Lambkin
- Rosemary Chepkorir Sang
- Bina Shaheen Siddiqui
- Sara Gill
- Nadia Patel Gangjee
- Farhat Bashir
- Fajer Rabia Pasha
- Marianna Sankiewicz-Budzyńska
- Marie Surcouf
- Viopapa Annandale-Atherton
- Małgorzata Kalinowska-Iszkowska
- Velma Huskey
- Agnès Kraidy
Please add articles you have improved here:
- Nicola Gaston expanded (and possible Polish- and German-language translations coming)
- Jean Mary Sandel
- Norma Restieaux
Please add any images you have uploaded here:
"Did You Know...?" features
Add here, newest at the top
- Lesley Akyaa Opoku Ware - 10 November
- Małgorzata Kalinowska-Iszkowska - 5 November
- Marie Surcouf - 4 November
- [https://thenorthernquota.org/news/feminists-fight-against-wikipedia-content-gender-gap-global-24-hour-edit-thon Well researched piece covering Carol, Mahwish, On This Day She and Roger.
- WIKIPEDIA HAS A WOMEN PROBLEM: And There is Both Bad News And Good News About Why And How to Fix - comments by Roger
- Global 24-hour Wikipedia "Edit-a-thon" Kicks Off In New Zealand, Scoop.co.nz, 29 September 2021
- 24-hour Wikipedia 'Edit-a-thon' launches, Mike Dickison is interviewed by Jesse Mulligan on Radio New Zealand, 12 October 2021
- Big Tech's Big Tobacco moment. Despite the title, today's Axios podcast introduced by Niala Boodhoo includes comments by Roger Bamkin on today's 24-hour ADA marathon (from 6:35), 12 October 2021
- Invitation: OCTOBER 2021
- Editathon banner for talk pages of articles created: Template:WIR-211: