Wikipedia:Wiki Loves Pride/2015
|This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current talk page.|
Wiki Loves Pride is a global campaign to expand and improve LGBT-related content across several Wikimedia projects. Most activities of Wiki Loves Pride take place between June and October, traditionally the months when lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) communities around the world celebrate LGBT culture and history. We invite you to participate in a series of edit-a-thons, held during June 2015, to help improve Wikipedia's coverage of LGBT-related content.
First-time edit-a-thon organizers may find "How to run an edit-a-thon" helpful.
Do you have questions? Ideas? Contact Wiki Loves Pride organizers at wikiLGBTgmail.com.
Please share the results of your work here!
Background and scope
In the past few years, organized groups on Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia Foundation project-spaces have sought to increase the quality and scope of public domain information and media relating to the LGBT community. 2014 saw the first global Wiki Loves Pride campaign. The project was spearheaded by Dorothy Howard (User:OR drohowa) and Jason Moore (User:Another Believer), and is supported by Wikimedia LGBT, a Wikimedia user group that promotes the development of content on Wikimedia projects which is of interest to LGBT communities. 2015 will see the second annual campaign!
One of the aims of Wiki Loves Pride will be increasing the number of people and perspectives contributing to LGBT information on the site, as well as encouraging institutions to add their authority information, research and images to the public domain. Contributions to information about LGBT topics in politics and policy, medicine, topics in identity sexuality, and society, rights and attitudes, history, culture, and institutions will vastly affect the ways in which these topics are researched and understood internationally. In the past, Wikipedia articles on these topics have been riddled with a lack of scholarly sources and lack of perspectives, a problem which has the effect of skewing public perceptions and affecting research and decisions in public policy, science and medical practice, and community acceptance.If you would like to host a Wikipedia edit-a-thon at your institution, or to sponsor this campaign by offering your endorsement in some other way, please contact the organizers. This campaign page will be a resource for all satellite events, and will be available to help connect institutions with experienced Wikipedians and learning resources to get you started editing.
Don't see your city listed below? Be bold and create a new event page! Feel free to copy and paste the example text below, adjusting the city name appropriately. Ideally, your entry below should include the city (linked to the event page), the event date and location:
- Event Page: Wikipedia:Meetup/WikiTown/Wiki Loves Pride 2015
- Entry Below: WikiTown: June 21, Central Library
- Växjö, Sweden: Tuesday, May 5, 2:30 pm
- Vienna: Tuesday, June 9, 7:30 pm at Gugg (Heumühlgasse 14); Homosexuelle Initiative (HOSI) Wien, Facebook
- Paris: Saturday, June 13, 2:00 pm at Caserne de Reuilly; POOP
- Lexington, KY: Saturday, June 27, 2015 (all day at Lexington Pride Festival) and Tuesday, June 30th (edit-a-thon; 7:00pm, location TBD)
- New York City: Wednesday, June 24, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at the Museum of Modern Art
- Washington, D.C.: Saturday, June 6, 2015 at the National Museum of American History (14th St and Constitution Ave, NW)
- Atlanta: Saturday, October 10, 2015 and Sunday, October 11, 2015 at Piedmont Park (1342 Worchester Dr NE, Atlanta, GA 30306)
Consider organizing a photography project to illustrate LGBT culture and history in your region. Projects could take the form of a group photo hunt, or simply showcasing LGBT-related images uploaded during the month of June. Be sure to add your images to relevant articles!
For more information about how to upload images to Wikimedia Commons as part of this project, visit Wikipedia:Wiki Loves Pride/HowTo.
- June 26, a page specifically dedicated to images associated with the Supreme Court's June 26 ruling on marriage equality
- Dublin, LGBTQ Pride Festival
- New Orleans, Gay Easter Parade (April 2015)
- New York, New York Pride, June 2015
- Portland, Oregon, a month-long LGBT photography campaign called "Pride Portland" (June 2015)
- Rome, Roma Pride
- Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv Gay Pride
- Toulouse, Toulouse Gay Pride
- Valdosta, Georgia (United States), Lowndes County Courthouse on June 26, the day of the Supreme Court's ruling on marriage equality
- Zagreb, rainbow sidewalk to commemorate International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia
Following initial outreach, campaign organizers received messages from multiple people around the world who expressed a desire, but also an inability, to publicly organize LGBT events in their city or country. For this reason, a page for Remote Participation has been set up. We welcome and encourage you to share your LGBT-related content and article improvements throughout the month of June.
The Tasks page has a sampling of possible articles to create or improve, among other tasks to consider.
- New York Public Library Gay and Lesbian Collections – AIDS/HIV Collections
- Rainbow History Project
- Washington Post Historical Database
You are encouraged to share the results of your work here. All contributions, small and large, contribute to Wikipedia's mission of providing free access to the sum of all human knowledge. We hope to share reports from all cities with organized activities and showcase a list of articles created/improved as the result of this project.
Add your name and/or organizational affiliation to this list if you are interested in participating and/or hosting an event.
Alternatively, you may add your name here to indicate your support and receive future notices related to Wiki Loves Pride.
- Another Believer (Talk) 05:46, 13 May 2015 (UTC)
- OR drohowa (talk) 11:30, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- Pharos (talk) 15:18, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- Parul Thakur (talk) 07:07, 31 May 2015 (UTC)
- 97198 (talk) 08:05, 31 May 2015 (UTC)
- Satdeep Gill (talk • contribs 02:51, 2 June 2015 (UTC)
- William Morel (talk) 19:44, 02 June, 2015 (UTC)
- Sydney Poore/FloNight♥♥♥♥ 23:41, 13 June 2015 (UTC)
- Varnent (talk)(COI) 00:06, 19 June 2015 (UTC)
- tdempsey (talk) 16:26, 3 September 2015 (UTC)
- Add your name here!