Writing Contest: 15 days to create (at least) 15 biographies on notable African women!
On the 15th of January 2016, Wikipedia will celebrate its 15 year anniversary.
Contest is CLOSED
However ... even after 15 years, content about Africa in general, and African women in particular, is still limited on the world's largest source of knowledge.
For this reason, it was important to celebrate Wikipedia 15 by organising a bilingual (English/French) writing contest to increase the number of notable African women that are covered on Wikipedia.
This contest launches Wiki Loves Women, a content liberation project related to Women in Africa in 6 countries.
- The contest will start on the 15th of January 2016 (0:00 UTC) and will end on the 31st of January 2016 (23:59 UTC)
- Any creation or modifications done before the start of the contest will not accepted as part of the contest.
- In the sake of fairness, it is important not to start working on an article in a subpage or offline before the start of the contest. Please respect the spirit of the contest and only start working on the article from the 15th onwards.
- The Contest is organised by teams (although individual participation is also accepted);
- Accepted articles must be biographies of a notable African woman;
- The contest is bilingual English/French.
- The m:Wiki Loves Women Writing Contest page on Meta will announce the winners and coordinate communication.
- Translation of the final articles into other languages are very welcome!
- Create Your Team
- Teams can be created by any wikipedian with a user account (create an account);
- Only contributors with a user account can join a team;
- Teams can be composed of 1 to 10 members;
- All teams are in competition, but it is perfectly ok for a team (or individual team member) to help another team!
- Each team decides which notable woman they wish to celebrate and stick to that person;
- It is allowed to create a team by country (=all contributors are from the same country). This could be reflected in the name of the team.
- Every team should have a team leader, to be the contact between team and jury;
- There is no deadline for the creation of a team (it can be created even after the contest is launched);
- There is no deadline for joining a team (you can join even after the contest is launched);
- If you want to join a team that has already been created, please check with them and get their approval;
- Participants may use the user box to be created
- Each team can only work on a many articles as they want, but they can only propose one article for the best article prize;
- Articles proposed will be only biographies about of a notable African woman;
- The selection of the article to propose for the best article prize made by the team, after discussion;
- The article may be proposed by the team or picked from a list of suggestions: Wikipedia:Wiki Loves Women/Writing Contest/Articles suggestions ;
- Everyone can suggest a topic for an article. Please make sure those women are likely to be notable enough that they will stay on Wikipedia;
- At the start of the contest, the article should not exist or should be a very, very, very basic stub, allowing for significant progress;
- Please add the category Category:Wiki Loves Women Writing Contest to the articles you work on.
- Best team :
- Best encyclopaedic input and team work (collaboration, discussion, work sharing etc.).
- Best article :
- Well ... best written article :)
- Jury prize :
- Jury choice. Undefined number. Potentially, these prizes may distinguish :
- best media (images added, voice record etc.) ;
- article translated in other languages;
- best individual team;