|This page is currently inactive and is retained for historical reference. Either the page is no longer relevant or consensus on its purpose has become unclear. To revive discussion, seek broader input via a forum such as the village pump.|
Want to have some wikifun? Good, then follow the guideline below and go for it!
Unfortunately, due to ALoan's retirement, having a Round 15 for Wikifun would be problematic.
- 1 Wikihunt
- 2 Round 14 (Round 14)
- 3 The Questions
- 3.1 Question 1
- 3.2 Question 2
- 3.3 Question 3
- 3.4 Question 4
- 3.5 Question 5
- 3.6 Question 6
- 3.7 Question 7
- 3.8 Question 8
- 3.9 Question 9
- 3.10 Question 10
- 3.11 Question 11
- 3.12 Question 12
- 3.13 Question 13
- 3.14 Question 14
- 3.15 Question 15
- 3.16 Question 16
- 3.17 Question 17
- 3.18 Question 18
- 3.19 Question 19
- 3.20 Question 20
- 4 Tally
- 5 Current Ranking
- 6 Previous rounds
How fast are you at finding information? Do you know where to look? Test your skills here with the scavenger hunt activity through the pages of Wikipedia. In order to participate, simply follow the tasks below and enter your answers via the links below. There can be more than one individual to answer a question, as the first may be wrong. Remember to place your timestamp to ensure your place. When the last question has been answered, the winners will be announced. The individual(s) with the most points will be contacted and asked to assist in the next task line-up.
All answers can be found in Wikipedia, so please use only Wikipedia for research; otherwise you'll spoil the fun. We're playing on a game field consisting of all information in the main namespace of the English Wikipedia. Mailing lists, IRC channels, and their archives are off-limits. Talk pages, categories, and the Wikipedia namespace may be used in your search, although all answers are located in the article namespace. Off-site web pages (external links) also are discounted. Using Wiki-search, specialised Wikipedia search engines, or any external search engine with the search restricted to the en.wikipedia.org domain is ok. Using unrestricted searches of the whole web is cheating. Interwiki links to other language Wikipedias should not be used; all answers should be found on pages in the English wikipedia. Keep in mind that only complete answers will be taken into account for receiving points. While incomplete answers may cause the question-setter to give helpful comment, they will also provide clues to the other participants.
Feel free to post any comments, questions or ideas for improvement on the discussion page.
Also, feel free to include the Wikifun userbox in your profile:
This will add you to the Category:Wake me for Wikifun. Please notify the users in this category when you start a new round. You may also add your user page manually if you do not like userboxes.
Round 14 started on Tuesday, April 10 at 16:30 (UTC). As in previous rounds, all answers are to be found in the articles of the English Wikipedia.
The scoring system is the same as in the previous round. The first ten questions correctly answered are worth 2 points each for the poster of the first correct answer. The next five questions answered are worth 3 points. The next three questions to be answered are worth 4 points, and the last two are worth 5 and 6 points respectively. (Note: it's the order in which questions are answered correctly that determines the number of points awarded for a question, not the numbering below!) Partial answers may receive partial shares of the points at the discretion of the question-setter. When no answers have been posted for a long period of time, additional hints will be given on this page. There is a time limit of two weeks on this round.
This round was prepared by: Spondoolicks. Available for birthdays, weddings and bar mitzvahs. Will travel. Reasonable rates.
If in doubt, the question-setter is always right!
Only a complete answer identifying all the hints given in a question will be accepted.
All of them could be bad for your health!
A ghost, a queen, a salty islander and an assassin with MPD: what are the two common ingredients?
- This was the fifth question to be answered. 2 points to Jeandré
Nice guy. Shame about the oral hygiene.
A big name in communications technology, this man made a permanent statement of his success which includes a snake wrapped around a cat. Where in London could you find it?
Hint: The original is not in London. The cat is a big one.
Hint 2: The words "cat" and "snake" do not appear in the article. He could be said to have something in common with Scooby Doo.
- This was the eighteenth question to be answered. 4 points to Zoicon5
Looks like fun.
What, specifically, is this person doing?
Hint: Perhaps a bit more from the same image may help:
- This was the fifteenth question to be answered. 3 points to Zoicon5
Name that planet…
Here you may see a living liquid in a jar, sentient rocks (Mr & Mrs Washington perhaps) and possibly even a talking frog. An unusual mating ritual was observed here.
- This was the eleventh question to be answered. 3 points to ALoan
The sheep never said anything about this!
What is the connection between a great chieftain and the JFA?
Note: The crucial article which provides the link has, unfortunately, been tagged recently for not citing its sources. Get in there quick before this question becomes defunct!
What number was Clinton again?
The 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 19th, 23rd, 25th, 27th, 35th, 37th and 45th Presidents had something in common. What was it?
Hint: Actually they had quite a lot in common. The numbering is debatable.
Hint 2: Before all of these presidents, one entry in the list shows three people governing together
Hint 3: (As it seems there are still a number of wild geese being chased) After the 15th president had left office, he was involved in a memorable battle, the subject of at least seven films, against a knife man, among others.
- This was the nineteenth question to be answered. 5 points to ALoan
I’m sure I saw a lamp just like that in Ikea the other day…
What caused this?
- This was the seventh question to be answered. 2 points to Hoof Hearted
If it’s not Wednesday it must be…
At 14 she became a prostitute and a speakeasy singer before catching a killer and, eventually, becoming a nun. She was also the great-aunt of Frankenstein’s monster. Who is she?
Quite a prodigy!
This composer had written an opera by his 4th birthday, was married by his 7th, and he was so successful in his work that he was able to go into semi-retirement before he had celebrated his 8th birthday. He died not long after his 18th birthday having produced many famous works, including one which got to number five in the chart in North America, (beating its sequel to 6th place).
Surely football was the winner…
You may have noticed that there was a soccer tournament in Germany last year. The host nation got through to the semi-final but then lost to a team which then went on to lose on penalties in the final. Who won?
- This was the sixth question to be answered. 2 points to ALoan
Some are odder than others.
Which is the odd one out?
Hint: These two also fit in:
Hint 2: All but one of these took part in a long and violent event.
Hint 3 The odd one out I picked is actually a bit random, with no real rationale behind the choice. Perhaps a more pertinent selection for the odd one out would be a certain Russian billionaire.
Hintazio! Okay, this is a pretty big hint as I'm going to actually tell you the answer: Jet Li is the odd one out. The six points will go to whoever can find the connection between the others, plus a bonus point for finding the two people in the first hint and another for coming up with a creative and plausible reason why I might have included Jet Li (beyond the real reason of it just being a cool picture).
- This was the last question to be answered. 5 points + 1 bonus point + eternal glory to ALoan, 1 point to Hoof Hearted and 0.5 points to Smooth O
Name that planet: part two
Either a large, rapidly spinning red planet, twice the mass of Jupiter, or a dwarf planet about 1/500 the mass of Earth. Either way it was inhabited by 5-foot long fungoid creatures with a knack for surgery.
- This was the ninth question to be answered. 2 points to ALoan
King Val d'Isère?
This Pagan king shares his name with a central ski-resort, he ascended to his throne in the same year that another king was isolated by a great man.
- This was the thirteenth question to be answered in full. 2 points to Yuanchosaan, 1 point to Warofdreams
A to B
‘’A’’ was a famous victim of assassination. His killer, the son of a man with the name of an assassin, was named after a very ugly English radical. The radical was also a member of a notorious order of monks together with a snack food pioneer. The order’s founder produced a very short funeral service for the benefit of those still living. This was in collaboration with ‘’B’’.
B is higher than A but by how much? (There are several possible answers.)
Where can this wintry landscape be found?
- This was the twelfth question to be answered. 3 points to ESkog
There can be only one!
Find the odd one out:
- A superhero, one of many to bear the same name, who first appeared in 1994 and carried a big stick.
- A tax collector who lived in a village which, thanks to his daughter, was exempt from tax for over 350 years.
- A rock musician who also acts.
- A film actor who also rocks.
Hint: The tax collector's daughter died young.
Where might you find this chaotic tourist attraction, one woman’s project, which took 38 years to build – and would have taken longer if her death hadn’t interrupted the construction. After 1906 it lost about 40% of its height but it is still so big that by the time the painters have got to the end of their job it is time to start again at the beginning. The number thirteen and spiders are considered lucky here.
- This was the first question to be answered. 2 points to ESkog
Warning: this article is not for the faint-hearted
A prince, son of a dragon, famous for ruthlessness and cruelty but also for scrupulous honesty. During his three reigns he became a national hero. He indirectly inspired characters in over 160 films.
- This was the fourth question to be answered. 2 points to Smooth O
Are they all in the Chelsea reserve team?
What links the following:
- This was the third question to be answered. 2 points to ALoan
Name that planet: part three
A day here lasted approximately 21.9 hours and a year approximately 400 days. The inhabitants commonly resembled worms, discs, fronds or bags.
- This was the second question to be answered. 2 points to ALoan
- Question 17 was the first to be answered correctly. 2 points to ESkog
- Question 20 was the second to be answered. 2 points to ALoan
- Question 19 was the third to be answered. 2 points to ALoan
- Question 18 was the fourth to be answered. 2 points to Smooth O
- Question 1 was the fifth to be answered. 2 points to Jeandré
- Question 10 was the sixth to be answered. 2 points to ALoan
- Question 7 was the seventh to be answered. 2 points to Hoof Hearted
- Question 8 was the eighth to be answered. 1.5 points to ALoan, 0.5 points to Warofdreams
- Question 12 was the ninth to be answered. 2 points to ALoan
- Question 9 was the tenth to be answered. 1.5 points to ALoan, 0.5 points to Amirman
- Question 4 was the eleventh to be answered. 3 points to ALoan
- Question 15 was the twelfth to be answered correctly. 3 points to ESkog
- Question 13 was the thirteenth to be answered correctly. 2 points to Yuanchosaan, 1 point to Warofdreams
- Question 14 was the fourteenth question to be answered. 2 points to ALoan, 1 point to Yomangani
- Question 3 was the fifteenth question to be answered. 3 points to Zoicon5
- Question 5 was the sixteenth question to be answered. 3 points to Zoicon5, 1 point to ALoan
- Question 16 was the seventeenth question to be answered. 3 points to ALoan, 1 point to Hoof Hearted
- Question 2 was the eighteenth question to be answered. 4 points to Zoicon5
- Question 6 was the nineteenth question to be answered. 5 points to ALoan
- Question 11 was the last question to be answered. 5 points + 1 bonus point to ALoan, 1 point to Hoof Hearted and 0.5 bonus points to Smooth O
- 1. ALoan -- 31 points
- 2. Zoicon5 -- 10 points
- 3. ESkog -- 5 points
- 4. Hoof Hearted -- 4 points
- 5. Smooth O -- 2.5 points
- =6. Jeandré -- 2 points
- =6. Yuanchosaan -- 2 points
- 7. Warofdreams -- 1.5 points
- 8. Yomangani -- 1 point
- 9. Amirman -- 0.5 points
For the records this section features links to previous versions of this page, each referring to the last version containing all tasks of the respective round.
- Round 1 (editor: Larsie, winner: Ravn) - Answers
- Tasks and Answers for Round 2 (editor: Ravn, winner: Lupo)
- Questions for Round 3, with links to answers. (editor: Lupo, winner: Ravn)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 4 (editor: Eugene van der Pijll, winner: Lupo)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 5 (editor: AllyUnion, winner: Gkhan)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 6 (editor: Gkhan, winner: Grue)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 7 (editor: Grue, winner: Eugene van der Pijll)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 8 (editor: Eugene van der Pijll, winners: FreplySpang, Thejesterx, Alphax)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 9 (editors: AllyUnion and Alphax, winner: Alphax)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 10 (editors: ESkog and Grue, winner: Dmn)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 11 (editor: Dmn, winner: Ravn)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 12 (editor: Ravn, winner: MFH)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 13 (editor: Eugene van der Pijll, winner: Spondoolicks)
- Wikipedia:Wikifun/Round 14 (editor: Spondoolicks, winner: ALoan)