Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2005-12-26/Technology report
Bugs, Repairs, and Internal Operational News
brion hid deleted edit summaries from non-admins this week. In a mailing list post, brion cited complaints about "private, embarrassing, vandalistic, [and] libelous" material placed in edit summaries that was still visible through Special:Undelete. brion hinted that changes will likely be made to the way these revisions are handled, allowing better revision deleting or revision editing.
Special:Unwatchedpages was installed on December 22. The page, only accessible by administrators, shows all pages not watched by any users. The extension was installed in response to a request by Jimbo Wales, and in the wake of the recent Seigenthaler controversy.
Special:Filepath was installed on December 25. The extension allows the creation of links forwarding users to the current version of an image. For example, Special:Filepath/Wiki.png redirects to the current location of the Wikipedia logo.
Last week in servers
Server-related events, problems, and changes included:
- December 22 — New protection interface installed
- December 23 — Amethyst skin removed from all wikis
- December 24 — Wikitech wiki moved to https, the first step in a planned move to secure logins in other Wikimedia locations
- December 26 — In response to upload vandalism, the ability to upload files is restricted to "autoconfirmed" accounts, or those older than 4 days.
- December 26 — An old apache server is converted into an experimental https server for testing.