Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2006-10-02/News and notes
News and notes
Board welcomes Möller; feedback on election wanted
Following the conclusion of the Board of Trustees elections last week, where Erik Möller received the most votes and was declared the winner (see archived story), the Board officially welcomed Möller with a resolution accepting the results of the elections and inviting him to officially replace Angela Beesley, who resigned earlier this year. He will serve the remainder of Beesley's term, which lasts until July 18, 2007.
In addition, this week the election officials also requested feedback from the community regarding the elections. The page, modelled after a "request for comments", asked users to provide their opinions on a variety of issues, ranging from the manner of voting used (approval) to the overall way the elections were run.
Assessment team reaches milestone
Last week, the Version 1.0 Editorial Team, a group of editors working together to evaluate the quality of articles in preparation to gather a list of articles suitable for release, assessed their 100,000th article. The assessments involve the grading of articles to place each page in one of six categories, ranging from featured articles to stubs. Multiple Wikiprojects are involved in making assessments, often utilizing collaborative "task forces" to streamline the process.
Danny's contest to conclude
Danny's third contest will conclude this week on Saturday, October 7. The contest promotes the sourcing and improvement of current articles either in the list of vital articles or in an article related to history; the winner will receive $100 in books and media. As of press time, there were 12 initial entries; the improvements will be judged by a panel of Wikipedians.
Logo proposals proceed into third phase
Proposals for new logos for Wikibooks, Wikiversity, and Wiktionary proceeded into the third phase this week. Following the close of the second phase, which allowed for minor changes and readjustments to some of the proposed logos, the current phase allows for approval voting to select one variant of each proposal to be voted on in the next and final phase. Voting for all three projects concludes on October 15.
Jimbo meets with Wikipedians in India
A meetup was held in Bangalore, India, on 29 September with Jimbo Wales and approximately 15 local Wikipedians. Wales, in India to participate in a conference, talked with the group for approximately three hours, discussing topics ranging from the need for more multilingual cooperation to the establishment of an Indian wiki-community.
Last week's article on the Board of Trustees elections erroneously implied that Wikimania 2005 and the publication of the book written by Erik Möller were following Möller's temporary departure from Wikimedia projects, when in fact they occurred prior to his resignation as Chief Research Officer (and his subsequent hiatus in contributions to Wikimedia). Möller returned to major editing in January 2006. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
- The Malay Wikipedia has reached 15,000 articles.
- The Persian Wikipedia has reached 15,000 articles.
- The Hebrew Wikipedia has reached 25,000 registered users.
- The Sindhi Wikipedia has reached 100 articles.
- The Hungarian Wiktionary has reached 40,000 entries.
- The Danish Wikipedia has reached 50,000 articles.
- Twenty new Wikipedia language editions have been created. 
- The Belarusian Wikipedia has reached 5,000 articles.
- The Armenian Wiktionary has reached 5,000 total pages.
- The Macedonian Wikipedia has reached 8,000 articles.
- The Occitan Wikipedia has reached 5,000 articles.
- The Italian Wikipedia has reached 200,000 articles.
- The English Wiktionary has reached 200,000 entries.
- The Marathi Wikipedia has reached 12,000 total pages.
- The Greek Wiktionary has reached 60,000 entries.
- The Finnish Wikipedia has reached 80,000 articles.
- The Polish Wikipedia has reached 300,000 articles.
- The Kannada Wikipedia has reached 4,000 articles.
- The Bengali Wikipedia has reached 10,000 articles.
- The Norwegian Wikipedia has reached 20,000 registered users.
- The Telugu Wikipedia has reached 15,000 articles.