Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2006-11-27/News and notes
News and notes
Tunisia reportedly blocks Wikipedia
Reports surfaced last week that access to Wikipedia was being blocked in Tunisia for reasons unknown. According to the latest information, the block appears to have been lifted again. As Geni noted, the block was somewhat ironic considering that Tunisia hosted the 2005 World Summit on the Information Society, which included representatives of the global Wikimedia Foundation, as well as the German and French chapters.
The English Wikipedia reached the 1.5 million article milestone this week with the addition of Kanab Ambersnail, an article on an endangered snail subspecies. The article was created by Quarma on Friday, November 24. This milestone came less than a year after the English Wikipedia reached one million articles in March (see archived story). It also came less than 24 hours after the German Wikipedia had reached 500,000 articles which made it the second language project to reach that milestone. Another milestone over the weekend was the French Wikipedia passing the 400,000 article mark with fr:Neuropathie (Neuropathy). In addition, Wikipedia, including all language versions, reached a total of 200 million edits this week.
Statistics available again
Erik Zachte's Wikipedia statistics pages are available again, with information updated through October 31. They had been taken offline because data from non-public wikis had improperly been included in the reports. English Wikipedia data is only current through June, however, due to ongoing problems in making a successful database dump of the largest Wikipedia.
- The Portuguese Wikisource has reached 5,500 texts.
- The Turkish Wikipedia has reached 50,000 registered users.
- The Welsh Wikipedia has reached 500 registered users.
- The Vietnamese Wikisource has reached 500 pages.
- The Turkish Wiktionary has reached 40,000 entries.
- The Albanian Wikipedia has reached 10,000 articles.
- The Danish Wikipedia has reached 10,000 registered users.
- The Catalan Wikipedia has reached 100,000 total pages.
- The Indonesian Wikipedia has reached 30,000 registered users.
- The Bulgarian Wikipedia has reached 10,000 registered users.
- The Wikipedia of Ripuarian languages has reached 100,000 edits.
- The Bishnupriya Manipuri Wikipedia has reached 5 000 articles.
- The Cantonese Wikipedia has reached 1,500 articles.