The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe, contribute and give feedback.
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- Superprotect has been removed. 
- You can now switch between the wikitext editor and the visual editor without saving. You will not lose the changes you have made. 
- JSON dumps of the production search indexes are now available. They can be imported to Elasticsearch. 
- Some translations for the Thanks and Echo extensions were missing. Translators have been asked to help and this should be solved soon. 
Changes this week
- Thumbnails of 16-bit TIFF files will be displayed properly. Before, this didn't work. 
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from November 10. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis from November 11. It will be on all Wikipedias from November 12 (calendar).
- You can join the next meeting with the VisualEditor team. During the meeting, you can tell developers which bugs you think are the most important. The meeting will be on 10 November at 19:00 (UTC). See how to join.
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.