Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2019-02-28/News and notes
- For more background, see "European copyright law moves forward" from the October 1, 2018 Signpost
Subsequent to the adoption of the final version of EU Copyright Directive / Article 13, a Village pump proposal appeared for a Wikipedia banner campaign in protest. The discussion continues on whether this constitutes advocacy in "Wikipedia's voice". WMF News (formerly "blog") also posted a piece on this, "Problems remain with the EU's copyright reform". B
Passing of Corinne
- Posted to wikimedia-l by Pine
Dear colleagues of wikimedia-l,
I learned today of the 2018 passing of User:Corinne. I feel that Corinne's substantial contributions to Wikimedia merit forwarding the news of her passing to this email list. Corinne had a Master's degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. User:Miniapolis wrote, "Corinne was a fellow coordinator of the Guild of Copy Editors, and we had come to know each other off-wiki as well. Corinne's specialty was request articles, and her copyediting skill (second to none) was a factor in many Good and Featured Articles." Corinne made over 25,000 contributions to English Wikipedia.
May she rest in peace.
- Wikimania scholarships: Scholarships for Wikimania 2019 are available. Deadline to apply is March 15, 2019, 23:59 UTC.
- Elections for WMF board: Community affiliate selected WMF Board seats are up for election. See details at this month's In focus report.
- Partial blocks: Partial blocks are under development as a software feature by WMF. They could be used to enforce topic bans on English Wikipedia. They were announced as functional as of February 13 and could be applied pending policy decisions on logging, notices and a few other issues.
- New administrators: The Signpost welcomes the English Wikipedia's newest administrator, Evad37 also a frequent contributor to The Signpost. Seven administrators were desysopped due to inactivity in February.