Wikipedia:Wikipedia Takes Baltimore 2012
Wikipedia Takes Baltimore 2012 is a planned scavenger hunt and free content photography contest, aimed at illustrating Wikipedia articles related to Baltimore. All Wikipedians and non-Wikipedians are invited to participate.
A date has yet to be determined.
Organizing suggestions taken from the main project page:
Pick a starting point for the day, probably outside near a downtown landmark. Greet everyone and explain how it all works. Bring a Wikipedia sign or something similar for recognition!
- I suggest Poe's Grave Mech Aaron (talk) 13:26, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
- May be start or end at Federal hill to give folks a view of the town and walk all the way up to washington monument in a zig zag way covering points of interests on the way - some that comes to mind are city hall, Poe's grave, Babe Ruth Birthplace & Museum, court house and post office, old alex brown building, walk thru historic charles street, shot tower, may be a water taxi group trip to fells point, canton, fort mchenry etc. --Jyothis (talk) 13:52, 10 August 2012 (UTC)
- I'm not very familiar with Poe's grave, but one grave among many perhaps isn't enough of a physical landmark. Jyothis' idea may be good if you can pick a prominent spot at Federal Hill.--Pharos (talk) 01:01, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
- * I suggest Memorial Plaza at Oriole Park at Camden Yard. The site is designed for easy access, it is easy to find, has lots of parking, and is a beautiful setting.
Sites to Visit
Have a big group photo-walk touring different historic sites around town, or alternatively teams can go out on their own. (Don't forget your cameras!)
- I suggest looking through the pages at Category:Baltimore to find places that need better quality photos. Mech Aaron (talk) 13:26, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Baltimore, Maryland is the list of sites that are eligible for the larger Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest.--Pharos (talk) 20:37, 15 August 2012 (UTC)
- Photos of the prisons / prison district would be really good. There's a request on commons for photos of the state penitentiary. Also would be interested in seeking photo illustrations of the 1968 riots. groupuscule (talk) 02:45, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
- In the interest of WP:CSB among other more direct concerns, can we please avoid a photo trip that focuses primarily on the spaces/issues/monuments of Baltimore's (minority) white population? groupuscule (talk) 19:28, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
- We could always do the heritage walk downtown at the harbor it will lead us to all the main landmarks within the city of baltimore and would be a great idea. Shot Tower, World Trade Center, as well as both Stadiums and Harbor place eatiers all in the same area so it would be most convient. --RossiGraphics
Optionally, designate a cozy spot for an after-party in the evening, can be a bar or restaurant. If you can upload some photos there too, all the better. some options:
- Tex Mex or other ones in power plant live area
- Peter's Pour house - small place, but has been around for a while- 111 Mercer Street
- Uno's near the harbor great view and water taxi
- The Camden Club would be perfect, it is the 7th and 8th floor of the historic Warehouse at Camden Yards which is the cornerstone of Oriole Park at Camden Yards. It holds hundreds.
Please finalize the day of the event and starting time/location ASAP.