Wikipedia:Academic studies of Wikipedia
|Wikipedia in the media|
|Wikipedia as a topic|
|Wikipedia as a source|
Below is an incomplete list of academic conference presentations, peer-reviewed papers and other types of academic writing which focus on Wikipedia as their subject. Works that mention Wikipedia only in passing are unlikely to be listed.
Unpublished works of presumably academic quality are listed in a dedicated section. For non-academic research, as well as tools that may be useful in researching Wikipedia, see Wikipedia:Researching Wikipedia. For a WikiProject focused on doing research on Wikipedia, see Wikipedia:WikiProject Wikidemia.
For academic papers using Wikipedia as a source, see Wikipedia:Wikipedia as an academic source, and the bibliography links listed at the bottom of this page. For teaching with Wikipedia, see Wikipedia:Student assignments. For researching with Wikipedia, see Wikipedia:Researching with Wikipedia. For non-academic works focused on Wikipedia, see Wikipedia:Wikipedia in the media.
- 1 Over time
- 2 Peer reviewed
- 3 Not peer reviewed
- 4 Data sets
- 5 External bibliographies of Wikipedia research
- 6 External links
These tables grew beyond the limits of a reasonable wiki page, so their content has been moved to a separate wiki.
Conference presentations and papers
Not peer reviewed
- Remy, Melanie (2002). Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Online Information Review 26(6):434. Emerald
- Levack, Kinley (2003). If Two Heads Are Better than One, Try 7,000 with Wikipedia. Econtent Magazine 26(4):12–13, April 2003. 
- Crawford, Walt; Wikipedia and Worth. Cites & Insights, Oct 2004.
- Crawford, Walt; Wikipedia and Worth [Revisited]. Cites & Insights, Feb 2005.
- Denning, Peter; Jim Horning; David Parnas; and Lauren Weinstein (2005). Wikipedia risks. Communications of the ACM 48(12):152, December 2005. doi:10.1145/1101779.1101804
- Giles, Jim (2005). Internet encyclopaedias go head to head. Nature 438, 900-901 (15 Dec 2005) 
- Lipczynska, Sonya (2005). Power to the people: the case for Wikipedia. Reference Reviews 19(2):6–7.Emerald Ingenta (abstract)
- Lawler, Cormac. A ‘resource review’ of Wikipedia. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research. 1473-3145 (Print) 1746-1405 (Online). Volume 6, Number 3/September 2006
- Clauson, Kevin A; Hyla H Polen, Maged N Kamel Boulos & Joan H Dzenowagis (2008). Scope, Completeness, and Accuracy of Drug Information in Wikipedia. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. Vol. 42, No. 12, pp. 1814-1821
- Chitu Okoli, Mohamad Mehdi, Mostafa Mesgari, Finn Årup Nielsen, Arto Lanamäki (2012), The People’s Encyclopedia Under the Gaze of the Sages: A Systematic Review of Scholarly Research on Wikipedia, SSRN-id2166137, http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2021326
Books and book chapters
- Nature editors (2005). Wiki's wild world. Nature 438, 890-890 (15 Dec 2005) 
- Logan, Darren W.; Sandal, Massimo; Gardner, Paul P.; Manske, Magnus and Bateman, Alex (2010) Ten Simple Rules for Editing Wikipedia, PLoS Computational Biology 6(9): e1000941.
- Reagle, Joseph, (2009), Wikipedia: The Happy Accident, Interactions, Volume 16, Issue 3, pp. 42-45.
- Hardy, Mat, (2007), Wiki Goes to War, Australian Quarterly, Vol. 79, Issue 4, p. 17-22
- Ann M. Lally, Carolyn E. Dunford, Using Wikipedia to Extend Digital Collections, D-Lib Magazine, May/June 2007
- Meijssen, Gerard (2005): Wikipedia: Localization in a Free Content Community. In: LISA (Localization Industry Standards Association), June 2005 
- Sanger, Larry (2005): The Early History of Nupedia and Wikipedia: A Memoir. In: DiBona; Cooper & Stone (Eds.): Open Sources 2.0. O'Reilly. Online: part 1, part 2
- Möller, Erik (2003). Tanz der Gehirne. Telepolis, May 9-30. Four parts: "Das Wiki-Prinzip", "Alle gegen Brockhaus", "Diderots Traumtagebuch", "Diesen Artikel bearbeiten". Summary and table of contents: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/fr-30.05.03-000/
- Sonya Lipczynska (Summer–Autumn 2005). "The role of Wikipedia in higher education" (PDF). Sconul Focus 35.
- Lanier, Jaron, (2006), DIGITAL MAOISM: The Hazards of the New Online Collectivism, Edge 183 — May 30, 2006 
- Lakhani, Karim R. and Andrew P. McAfee, Case Study: Wikipedia, Harvard Business School, 30 January 2007
- Tom McArthur (July 2006). "Citing, quoting, and critiquing the Wikipedia". English Today 22 (3): 2. Note: This is not a peer-reviewed article. This is a call for others to write such an article.
- Giddings, Janet M. SBL Forum Ethical Issues in Pedagogy: Wikipedia
- Simmons, John (Editor), The Wikipedia Muhammad Cartoons Debate: A W A R O F I D E A S, Iraq Museum International
- Andrea Capiluppi (September 2013). "Similarities, challenges and opportunities of Wikipedia content and open source projects". Journal of Software: Evolution and Process (John Wiley & Sons) 25 (9): 891–914. doi:10.1002/smr.1570.
This table is now found at: http://wikipapers.referata.com/wiki/List_of_doctoral_theses and similar.
- Jansson, Kurt (2002): "Wikipedia. Die Freie Enzyklopädie." Lecture at the 19th Chaos Communications Congress (19C3), December 27, Berlin. Online description: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Kurt_Jansson/Vortrag_auf_dem_19C3
- Möller, Erik (2003): "Belanglose Käfer. Eine Reise in die Welt der Wikis." July 1, Merz-Akademie, Stuttgart, Germany.
- Philippe Aigrain (2003): The Individual and the Collective in Open Information Communities at 16th BLED Electronic Commerce Conference, 9-11 June 2003. http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/aigrain3.pdf
Survey and poll results
- Reminder: this is for academic or semi-academic surveys and polls of Wikipedia aimed at increasing our understanding of Wikipedia. For Wikipedia's own surveys used for determining consensus, policy making and dispute resolution, see Wikipedia:Requests for comment and Wikipedia:Straw polls.
- See also: Category:Wikipedia surveys and polls, Wikipedia:Centralized discussion, MediaWiki talk:Sitenotice, meta:Category:Surveys, meta:Category:Polls and meta:CentralNotice.
To do: parse and analyze this
- Editor Survey 2011
- Usability studies: - ongoing from Jan'2009
- 2009 Wikimedia survey of scholarly community on Wikipedia (data set)
- Wikimania 2009 satisfaction survey
- Wikipedia:Survey 2008 - the first real "census" of Wikipedians, see story in Signpost
- 2008 Poll by Jimbo on Facebook about ads on Wikipedia
- 2007 Hebrew Wikipedia satisfaction survey
- Wikipedia Signpost 2007 readers survey
- 2007 Wikimedia brand survey
- 2006 survey on conflict and conflict resolution
- 2006 survey on the reasons behind the success of Wikipedia
- 2006 survey on Motivation of Contributors to Wikipedia
- 2005 A small scale study of Wikipedia
- 2005 German Wikipedia survey
- 2004 French Wikipedia survey
- 2004 Developer payment poll
- 2003 English Wikipedia Quality Survey
- Assini, Pasqualino (2006). Wikipedia chapter in draft PhD thesis on Principles and Patterns of Social Knowledge Applications
- Chen, Siyuan (2010). Hart v Finnis: How Will Positivism and Natural Law Account for the Socio-Legal Paradigm in Wikipedia?
- Endrizzi, Laure (2006). L'édition de référence libre et collaborative : le cas de Wikipédia. http://www.inrp.fr/vst/Dossiers/Wikipedia/sommaire.htm
- Garcia, J. M., Steinmueller W. E. (June 2003): Applying the Open Source Development Model to Knowledge Work. SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, INK Open Source Working Paper No. 2. http://siepr.stanford.edu/programs/OpenSoftware_David/oswp2.pdf
- Geiger, R. Stuart & Halfaker, Aaron (2013). "When the Levee Breaks: Without Bots, What Happens to Wikipedia’s Quality Control Processes?", Working paper.
- Hong, Seah Ru, Knowledge Contribution in Wikipedia, National University of Singapore, Thesis, http://www-appn.comp.nus.edu.sg/~seahruho/ruhongwiki.pdf
- Reagle, Joseph M. Jr. Wikipedia's heritage: vision, pragmatics, and happenstance. http://reagle.org/joseph/2005/historical/digital-works.html
- Stvilia, B., Twidale, M., Gasser, L., Smith, L. (2005). "Information quality discussions in Wikipedia"
- Voss, Jakob (2006). "Collaborative thesaurus tagging the Wikipedia way" .
- Wattenberg, Martin, Viégas, Fernanda B. (2003). history flow. preliminary report http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/history/ Published at CHI 04, available through the ACM Digital Library.
- Wikimedia projects dumps
- Data set used in the 2008 article Communications of the ACM article The Collaborative Organization of Knowledge
- Data set for 2009 Wikimedia survey of scholarly community on Wikipedia
- Dumps of wiki communities from WikiTeam
- List of datasets in WikiPapers
External bibliographies of Wikipedia research
- m:Wiki Research Bibliography
- Wikibibliographie Encyclen (partly French)
- Zotero group on Wikipedia Research
- Bibsonomy Tag "Wikipedia"
- CiteULike Tag "Wikipedia"
- Semantic Web-related Research using Wikipedia
- A state of the art of the research written by a PhD student.
- Analysis of Research using Wikipedia and the Semantic Web
- SWEETpedia: A Periodic Update of Semantic Web-related Research using Wikipedia
- List of Wiki Researchers at the Wikimedia project coordination wiki
- Wikimedia Resarch Newsletter, monthly overview of recent academic studies of Wikipedia (also published in The Signpost)
- WikiPapers, a wiki research literature compilation (conference papers, journal articles, theses, datasets and tools)