The Great North American Wiknic is the annual "picnic anyone can edit" being held on weekend dates in August 2023, and coming back in person across the continent!
The Wiknic is the picnic anyone can edit, with people ordinarily bringing their own picnic food and perhaps other items to share. This page can also be reached at the shorter domain name wiknic.org.
Wiknics have three virtues, which we aim to preserve:
- Easy to organize, even for old Wikipedians
- Welcoming to everyone, even for new Wikipedians and Wikipedian-wannabes
In short, a Wiknic can be a great easy-in to real life Wikipedia culture, and lead to greater Wiki-community and outreach in your corner of the continent! In 2023, we are returning to in-person Wiknicking after a switch to virtual events during the worst years of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020–2022.
Great North American Wiknic picnic meetups by region (2023)
The 2023 Great North American Wiknic will be held on weekend dates in August as Wikimania satellite events, with local groups feeling free to choose a differing date so as to make the meetup more convenient for their attendees.
With grassroots organizing help from local Wikipedia:Meetup groups and the North American Regional Wiki Hub and Lab (NARWHAL) committee...
Everyone is encouraged to start a Wiknic page for their own city, and please sign up both at your city's meetup page (in bold), as well as on this page. Be sure that it is in this format: City, Location, Day, Date (Month, Day, Year), Time (00:00 AM/PM)
Please watch this page for future updates and for new cities being added.
If you have questions about getting help for event planning for a new city, please ask on the Wiknic discussion page. You can apply for a micro-grant of up to $200 for picnicking expenses.
- New York City Wiknic, Governors Island, Sunday August 27
- Washington, DC, Wiknic, Rock Creek Park Picnic Area, Grove #9, Sunday August 27, 3-5:30pm
- Add your city here!
- San Diego Wiknic, Vacation Isle, Sunday August 6
- Seattle Wiknic, Saturday, August 5, 2023, at 12pm to 3pm, in the Washington Park Arboretum
- Salt Lake City Wiknic, Salt Lake City Public Library, Sunday August 27, 12pm to 2pm
- Add your city here!
The rest of the world
- Add your city here!
History and development
The first national Wiknic was held in June 2011, and 16 cities took part with Wiknics large and small. The Wiknic concept was modeled on the Wikipedia 10 celebrations and on the past success of Wiknics in New York City, and has inspired other large-scale coordinated events like Wikipedia Loves Libraries and Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States.
2020 Great Virtual Wiknic
The 2020 Great American Wiknic was held Sunday, August 16, 2020, with local groups contributing to a common live video session for attendees.
With grassroots organizing help from local Wikipedia:Meetup groups and the Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States (WALRUS) committee...
For the live video session, we plan to include various segments:
- Community history of the Great American Wiknic
- Featuring artist-Wikimedian Sara Clugage's "Picnics: An Outside History" for a cultural exploration of picnicking, knowledge and society
- Food and cooking demonstrations, share your own local specialties
- Introduction to regional Wikimedia chapters and usergroups
- Breakout sessions for different regions and cities
- Call in from from a local park or natural site and share it on the video stream
- Pub-style quiz
We will be ordered sequentially:
- 1st hour: National livestream via Streamyard / YouTube / social media (3-4pm Eastern, 12-1pm Pacific)
- 2nd hour: Regional breakout rooms via Zoom / Wikimedia Meet, etc. (4-5pm Eastern, 1-2pm Pacific)
- New York City / Mid-Atlantic by Wikimedia NYC (Zoom link for NYC), local co-hosts: User:Pharos & User:Wil540 art
- Boston / New England (Zoom link for Boston), from Phoebe
- Midwest (Zoom link for Midwest), local host: User:L235
- West (Zoom link for West) by Cascadia Wikimedians, local host: Peaceray
- 3rd hour and beyond: Text chat channel via IRC or similar (5-6pm Eastern, 2-3pm Pacific)
Please watch this page for future updates and for the video link.
If you would like to get further involved, ask questions or give your optional RSVP on the Wiknic discussion page.
List of 2019 Wiknics
List of 2018 Wiknics
List of 2017 Wiknics
List of 2016 Wiknics
List of 2015 Wiknics
List of 2014 Wiknics
The 2014 Great American Wiknic was held on July 6th (and nearby dates).
List of 2013 Wiknics
The 2013 Great American Wiknic was held on Sat, June 22 (and nearby dates).
- Media related to Wiknic at Wikimedia Commons