Wikipedia talk:Bot Approvals Group
|This page was previously nominated for deletion. Please review the prior discussions if you are considering re-nomination:
This is the talk page for the Bot Approvals Group. Specific bot requests should be placed on the Requests for approval page. See the Bot policy page for more information on bot policy. This page is specifically for issues related to the approvals group. At the moment there is no formal policy for adding and removing members of the approvals group, but one will likely be formulated in the future. This is, however, the correct page to discuss member changes.
|Threads older than 14 days may be archived.|
Requests for BAG membership
Requests to join the Bot Approvals Group are currently made here, although other methods have been proposed. Users wishing to join BAG, or to nominate another user to become a member, should start a new nomination page via the form below (replacing "UserName" with the nominee's) and transclude the discussion in a section below. Please note that notification to WP:AN, WP:VPM, WT:BOT, and WP:BON is required. After a suitable length of time (usually one week unless the nomination has not received a reasonable level of support), the discussion will be closed by a bureaucrat.
Hi fellow BAG's, active members have likely been called to this discussion. Please review Special:PermaLink/726543278#Statement_by_Xaosflux - am seeking consensus for formally removing prior approval for these old tasks (not currently running due to arbcom sanctions). Should the general sanction be lifted I suggest they be represented if desired to give opportunity for community discussion. — xaosflux Talk 21:27, 22 June 2016 (UTC)
- This seems likely to be a good idea. I note some of those have since been taken over by other bots, and it probably wouldn't hurt to give the ones that haven't a fresh look to see whether they're still wanted and if they need any adjustment to the details of the task.
- Besides Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval/Femto Bot that you already noted, there's also Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval/Helpful Pixie Bot and Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval/SmackBot Anomie⚔ 01:15, 23 June 2016 (UTC)
That's what I had already in mind. No old task should be resumed. Most of them are outdated, completed or now done by other bots in a more optimal way. Any bot run should go through the normal bot approval process. -- Magioladitis (talk) 07:39, 23 June 2016 (UTC)
It would have been courteous to ping me about this discussion. I came across it reviewing Xaosflux's contributions for their RfB.
More - it would have been sensible to sound me out about the proposal, to obviate the need for discussion, as I quite willing to re-apply for the tasks.
I take it that FemtoBot 7 would not need re-application, as suggested by Xaosflux in the amendment request.
- Hello Rich Farmbrough - I did link to this in my statement response at the arbitration request-apologies if it wasn't clear to you; I also support continuing approval for FemtoBot Task#7. — xaosflux Talk 20:24, 2 July 2016 (UTC)
- Note: The arbcom motion
has concludedis closing Special:Permalink/728924349#Rich_Farmbrough:_Motion_.28sanctions_rescinded.29; excepting Femptobot #7 - it appears we are in agreement to revoke prior authorizations - any dissenters? — xaosflux Talk 16:17, 8 July 2016 (UTC)
- I can't imagine anyone would care but for safety's sake motions don't actually take effect until a clerk actions a motion (which is done 24 hours after the deciding vote. Kharkiv07 (T) 20:48, 8 July 2016 (UTC)
I've indeffed InternetArchiveBot as it is apparently malfunctioning. Not entirely sure of the protocol as it's the first block I've ever done on a bot. Owner notified, any admin may unblock withour further reference to myself. Mjroots (talk) 19:48, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
- @Mjroots: I suggest you start a thread on this at WP:BOWN and invite the operators to it. — xaosflux Talk 20:30, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
- @Xaosflux: I've already notified the bot operator as a courtesy. Do I still need to start the thread? Mjroots (talk) 20:49, 21 July 2016 (UTC)