|Welcome to the Wikimedia New York City Chapter community discussion page! Check back here for conversations about meetups, special events and other topics relevant to the NYC community.|
Threads older than 30 days may be archived.
Chapter scholarships for WikiConference North America
You are invited to submit a chapter travel scholarship to WikiConference North America, which is being held in Columbus, Ohio on October 18-21, 2018.
The scholarship supported by Wikimedia NYC chapter will be a *flat $500* for all recipients, and you will be responsible for booking all of your own travel and accommodation. Because the amount we support is limited, it may be that only part of your trip expense is covered.
NYBG Wikipedia edit-a-thon
There's going to be an edit-a-thon at the New York Botanical Garden on October 10th. The focus is, creating and enhancing pages related to the theme of Women in Science. See https://www.nybg.org/event/wikipedia-edit-a-thon/ for details. -- RoySmith (talk) 21:21, 21 September 2018 (UTC)
- Oh. This is already at Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/NYBG October2018. -- RoySmith (talk) 21:55, 21 September 2018 (UTC)
Community Wishlist Survey 2019
The WM-NYC is limited in outreach to watchlist notices and mailing lists. In 2016, we filed a task to allow CentralNotice (the banners on top of article pages) to target readers in the NYC area. Efforts have stalled and to spur progress it would be great if you could support it in the Community Wishlist Survey 2019. Voting end November 30. — Dispenser 20:33, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
Applied for Wikimedia Foundation grant - seeking comment and support
Since March 2018 I have been Wikimedian in Residence (meta:Wikimedians in Residence Exchange Network) at the University of Virginia. Among other things I organize collaborations with the library. Some notes on my projects are at meta:University of Virginia and WP:UVA.
In the above proposal I am assisting some librarians, researchers, and our copyright lawyer in requesting US$15,000 from the Wikimedia Foundation in the November 2018 call for projects as described at meta:Grants:Project. With this money the library would, in summer 2019, develop a tool kit and event package for more libraries to celebrate Public Domain Day and to incorporate Wikimedia engagement into their program. We will be hosting a Public Domain Day event of our own with Wikimedia engagement in January 2019 to get experience before starting the grant funded project. I am posting here because I want to connect the concept and commemoration of the January 15 Wikipedia Day with the 1 January Public Domain Day. Wiki NYC already celebrates WP:Wikipedia Day enthusiastically.
Meetup NYC 13 Jan 2019
I signed up here, but so far I cannot see how to signup on Eventbrite. Perhaps it is too soon?
- @Dthomsen8: Glad you can make it! You can register on Eventbrite here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wikipedia-day-2019-tickets-53454508875
- The Paul is another hotel that's right nearby and a bit cheaper, though I've never stayed there. Beyond that, and you'd probably want to factor in the cost of transportation. Ace Hotel is pretty nice, though, so it may be worth it for the convenience of being there in the hotel. I'll ping some other NYC people in case they have tips.
- Pharos can answer any questions you may have about the lightning talks. — Rhododendrites talk \\ 05:44, 31 December 2018 (UTC)
- @ArnoldReinhold: We will have a projector with a dedicated Chromebook. Slides aren’t required, but if you have them, we have a Google Drive folder where people can upload them. Not linked publicly for obvious reasons, but if you sign up someone will email it to you. Given it's a Chromebook, Google slides or live demos (in a browser) work best, but we can work with PowerPoint as well (Keynote probably will not work, though). Pharos is coordinating the lightning talks, so pinging him here. — Rhododendrites talk \\ 04:12, 9 January 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for all the organizers for the wonderful event today! I was wondering if the presenters will link to and/or upload their presentations on commons. 03:05, 14 January 2019 (UTC) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Louize5 (talk • contribs)
- @Louize5: Happy to say that the videos are live at commons:Category:Wikipedia Day 18 NYC! — Rhododendrites talk \\ 23:37, 18 January 2019 (UTC)
- @RoySmith: I checked with the venue (Ace Hotel). They said they do not have bike storage either inside or outside, unfortunately. @Jim.henderson: do you have any tips for Roy about securing a bike around there? — Rhododendrites talk \\ 04:12, 9 January 2019 (UTC)
- If my wrist injury doesn't get worse I intend to ride Citi Bike. Or else my folding bike and store it inconspicuously behind the coat rack, which is unsecured but hasn't been reported to lose coats in past years. As for my own full size bike, well, insecure parking is a major reason why I seldom ride it in Manhattan. Jim.henderson (talk) 05:26, 9 January 2019 (UTC)
I spotted one small glitch.
#16 CUNY is longer than it should be. Done Also, the afternoon keynote, at 220MB, busts wikimedia's filesize limit. Somehow it squeaked through, but now seems to be broken So that'll have to be fixed too. Done Magically appears to be fixed. If you see anything else LMK. Wwwhatsup (talk) 13:47, 18 January 2019 (UTC)