Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Animals in media
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the WikiProject Animals in media page.|
|WikiProject Animals in media||(Rated NA-class)|
List of animal cartoon characters sorted by biological taxonomy
I am interested in seeing an article "List of animal cartoon characters sorted by biological taxonomy".
—Wavelength (talk) 18:59, 29 June 2012 (UTC)
How broadly are animals in media anthropomorphic?
In The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy Gale's pet dog Toto is not at all anthropomorphic. Right?
Is it possible for a nonhuman animal to be a fictional "character" without begin anthropomorphic?
- "Anthropomorphic" is a broad statement meaning that in some way they have been made to be like humans. They can talk, walk, do tricks like humans, wear clothes. Basically, if they are doing at least one thing that is more like a human than like an animal, they are anthropomorphic. This is usually talking animals, but it can be extended to an animal that talks, walks on its hind legs, has some semblance of opposable thumbs if it wouldn't already, wears clothes, and handles tools. Most animals in media are, to some degree, anthropomorphic. You could even consider Buck from The Call of the Wild anthropomorphic, because even though he never talks he has thoughts like a human. However, there are some cases—like Toto—where the animal is not anthropomorphic. Toto is still considered a character, however. öBrambleberry of RiverClan 14:10, 26 January 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks. Buck in The Call of the Wild is a great example for the front page. In my works it's a broad definition that includes animal characters whom some people consider realistic in the non-human animal; others (like me) would say "he has thoughts like a human and not like a dog".
- Hanno the gorilla in The Stranger at Green Knowe may be another good example. One reader may call it fantasy only in the premise that an escaped zoo gorilla could survive in the English countryside with cover provided by a small boy. Another may find the friendship incredible.
- --P64 (talk) 16:29, 28 January 2013 (UTC)
Gertie the Dinosaur FAC
Calvin and Hobbes, an article that you or your project may be interested in, has been nominated for an individual good article reassessment. If you are interested in the discussion, please participate by adding your comments to the reassessment page. If concerns are not addressed during the review period, the good article status may be removed from the article.
Leaflet for Wikiproject Animals in media at Wikimania 2014
My name is Adi Khajuria and I am helping out with Wikimania 2014 in London.
One of our initiatives is to create leaflets to increase the discoverability of various wikimedia projects, and showcase the breadth of activity within wikimedia. Any kind of project can have a physical paper leaflet designed - for free - as a tool to help recruit new contributors. These leaflets will be printed at Wikimania 2014, and the designs can be re-used in the future at other events and locations.
This is particularly aimed at highlighting less discoverable but successful projects, e.g:
• Active Wikiprojects: Wikiproject Medicine, WikiProject Video Games, Wikiproject Film
• Tech projects/Tools, which may be looking for either users or developers.
• Less known major projects: Wikinews, Wikidata, Wikivoyage, etc.
• Wiki Loves Parliaments, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves ____
• Wikimedia thematic organisations, Wikiwomen’s Collaborative, The Signpost
The deadline for submissions is 1st July 2014
For more information or to sign up for one for your project, go to:
Adikhajuria (talk) 11:04, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
Hello there! As you may already know, most WikiProjects here on Wikipedia struggle to stay active after they've been founded. I believe there is a lot of potential for WikiProjects to facilitate collaboration across subject areas, so I have submitted a grant proposal with the Wikimedia Foundation for the "WikiProject X" project. WikiProject X will study what makes WikiProjects succeed in retaining editors and then design a prototype WikiProject system that will recruit contributors to WikiProjects and help them run effectively. Please review the proposal here and leave feedback. If you have any questions, you can ask on the proposal page or leave a message on my talk page. Thank you for your time! (Also, sorry about the posting mistake earlier. If someone already moved my message to the talk page, feel free to remove this posting.) Harej (talk) 22:47, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
WikiProject X is live!
You may have received a message from me earlier asking you to comment on my WikiProject X proposal. The good news is that WikiProject X is now live! In our first phase, we are focusing on research. At this time, we are looking for people to share their experiences with WikiProjects: good, bad, or neutral. We are also looking for WikiProjects that may be interested in trying out new tools and layouts that will make participating easier and projects easier to maintain. If you or your WikiProject are interested, check us out! Note that this is an opt-in program; no WikiProject will be required to change anything against its wishes. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Note: To receive additional notifications about WikiProject X on this talk page, please add this page to Wikipedia:WikiProject X/Newsletter. Otherwise, this will be the last notification sent about WikiProject X.
After a recent request, I added WikiProject Animals in media to the list of projects to compile monthly pageview stats for. The data is the same used by http://stats.grok.se/en/ but the program is different, and includes the aggregate views from all redirects to each page. The stats are at Wikipedia:WikiProject Animals in media/Popular pages.
The page will be updated monthly with new data. The edits aren't marked as bot edits, so they will show up in watchlists. You can view more results, request a new project be added to the list, or request a configuration change for this project using the Tool Labs tool. If you have any comments or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks! Mr.Z-man 04:42, 18 November 2015 (UTC)