Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Beauty Pageants/Archive 1
|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
|Archive 1||Archive 2|
- 1 Miss Universe Canada and Miss Canada
- 2 reference...
- 3 Alternate titles
- 4 Use of full names in winners lists - policy decision needed
- 5 Measurements
- 6 Lists of runners-up and semi-finalists in Miss Universe titleholder articles
- 7 Are Teens Notable?
- 8 Image deleted
- 9 Project Directory
- 10 Controversy article?
- 11 Wikipedia Day Awards
- 12 Image or Information colaboration
Until recently Miss Canada had names up to, and including 1992. Miss Universe Canada started with 1993. I thought that was when the title "Miss Universe Canada" started. Prior to 1993, I think, Miss Canada sent delegates to Miss Universe. But, I'm told it actually started only in 2003. So, I would like a little discussion on this. We don't want delegates listed in multiple pageants, for the same title. It's entirely possible I am confused about the names of the pageants/titles. --Rob 05:03, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
- Miss Universe Canada has now been fixed to have 2003 and later. So, where should 1993-2002 go? What title were the women in the middle given? --Rob 05:07, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
Hi all. Not sure how to join the group. I like to think I know everything about pageants in Canada! LOL! Rob, I have made several corrections to the Miss Universe Canada, Miss World Canada, Miss Canada (disam...) page, etc. as there have been several errors. What other pages would you like to see? Nuckyblue 18:32, 11 August 2006 (UTC)
officially for the 90's canada didn't have any set pageant, so there were random representatives,some were from miss canada international, some were from regional pageants, and i have no idea where the others came from... i think they finally have it organized though ! lol MBCC
MBCC, that is not true. There have been several mistakes in your articles. Please be careful! Nuckyblue 18:33, 11 August 2006 (UTC)
The Canadian representatives for Miss Universe were chosen through the "Canadian Search for Miss Universe" (1993-2002). The Miss World reps were chosen via the ways listed on the Miss World Canada page. Miss International reps were not chosen for 1993-1999. Nuckyblue 18:37, 11 August 2006 (UTC)
Where the name of a titleholder clashes with an already existing article, what "alternate title" should we use? I have been using [[Jane Doe (beauty queen)|Jane Doe]] but Rob has suggested [[Jane Doe (pageant contestant)|Jane Doe]] which I support because its more neutral. However, I think this should be [[Jane Doe (beauty pageant contestant)|Jane Doe]]. Opinions? -- PageantUpdater 00:49, 9 June 2006 (UTC)
- I think [[Jane Doe (pageant contestant)|Jane Doe]] is better, because the other seems too long to me and beauty pageants are the only type that have contestants AFAIK (Christmas pageants, etc., would have actors, since they are a kind of play). But if consensus says to use the longer title, I won't throw a hissy fit. :D --Cromwellt|talk|contris 21:29, 9 June 2006 (UTC)
- I avoided the word "beauty" in "beauty pageant" mainly to be concise, and also because some pageants don't consider themselves "beauty pageants". Often, its not obvious, whether the word "beauty" is considered a compliment or a patronizing term by certain individuals. Rather than worry about in which cases to use it, I figure its best not to use it any biography article title. --Rob 01:15, 10 June 2006 (UTC)
Use of full names in winners lists - policy decision needed
What do you think the policy on using full names for pageant contestants in articles should be? I think only the common name should be given because that is the most likely searched for and/or created if an article exists - and simply because the alternative is unwieldy. Opinions? -- PageantUpdater • talk | contribs | esperanza 05:43, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
- It's already a guideline to do that which you want. See Wikipedia:Naming conventions (common names). --Rob 05:48, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
Excuse if this is not the right place to ask. I noticed someone added Jennifer Hawkins' measurements to her article. Is this considered appropriate or in good taste? My own view is that it's not really encyclopaedic, but perhaps in the beauty world it is moreso. I also have no idea whether they are accurate or not as no source has been provided. Grateful for some guidance here. -- I@n 06:58, 20 July 2006 (UTC)
Lists of runners-up and semi-finalists in Miss Universe titleholder articles
It has come to my attention that Hedwig0407 has been adding lists of runners-up and semi-finalists to Miss Universe titleholder articles. I do not consider this appropriate and was on the verge of reverting such edits but decided to bring it here first. Opinions? -- PageantUpdater • talk | contribs | esperanza 03:43, 27 July 2006 (UTC)
- Sorry for almost fully editing the page of the winners, but I cant find exact page on where I can list the runners-up and semi-finalists. And I think listing of runners-up and semi-finalists is appropriate, because listing them will present to our readers who are the other women gain enough fame for being a Miss Universe contestant and listing them will also show who are the titleholder's competitor for gaining the crown and prestige. I have a suggestion that adding a page for the full list of the winners and its runners-up and finalists. Hedwig0407 03:53, 20 July 2006
- The solution would be creating new articles for each pageant, but that requires a bit more than simply the results. Using Pageant Almanac might help you beef them up. See Miss Universe 2004, Miss Universe 2005 and Miss Universe 2006 for examples (of which Miss Universe 2006 is the most complete and the best one to look at, Miss Universe 2005 is pretty scanty, and Miss Universe is getting there but I wouldn't suggest using flags... that is just an interim measure until we can get the list of delegates there). Good luck! -- PageantUpdater • talk | contribs | esperanza 04:18, 27 July 2006 (UTC)
- So what exactly I can do so that I share the runners-up and semi-finalists? Or I am not allowed share it? Hedwig0407 20 July 2006
- Thank you for supporting my works, I spend my whole afternnon just doing the additional information for Miss Universe 2005. To be honest Im having a hard time understanding the code for the delegates but Im trying to understand and the main trouble for is I dont know the flag icon codes or something (hope you get it).
- What about on what Ive done on the titleholder's pages? It is ok if you remove the list of runners-up and semi-finalists, I will think some way on how to present the runners-up and the semi-finalists.
- Now I will follow format for the list of the delegates. And nice source of the profiles of each candidates you gave me (http://www.santabanta.com/contestants.asp?picid=1078%7CSanta Banta]).
- PS: I dont take your compliment as negative criticism or whatsoever. I know what is a positive criticism and negative criticism, so dont worry. Actually it gives me more idea on what should I do. :)Hedwig0407 20 July 2006
Jimmy's Pageant Page has the lists. So does Pageant Almanac, and Pageantopolis. You may want to contact them to ask permission??? Nuckyblue 18:39, 11 August 2006 (UTC)
Are Teens Notable?
Ok this is a tricky one... are Miss Teen USA delegates notable in their own right? Are they notable only if they place at Miss Teen USA or are they not notable at all? Whereas it is accepted that Miss USA delegates are notable in their own right, I made the decision not to create articles for each Miss Teen USA 2006 delegate based on their age and the fact that they receive less publicity than the Miss contestants. However, following the pageant, Xmzstephx has started creating articles for each contestant - very good articles they are too but even I have to call into question the notability of the Teens who didn't place.
- I think they are definitely notable. Before anybody gets any stupid ideas, I don't watch any beauty pageants at all, but the competition above is shown on Australian free-to-air television. Certainly they are more notable than the bare minimum standard for bands and authors (circulation 5000) in Wikipedia, and get about as much coverage as some guy who gets booted out at #25 in Idol, etc. Looks like there aren't enough Pageant enthusiasts around for AfDs. I'm rather busy trying to restrain a whole pile of people on a whole bunch of Insia related pages so never check AfDs these days except the ones on the Aussie noticeboard, so if anybody is trying to save one of these, feel free to message me.Blnguyen | rant-line 01:10, 21 August 2006 (UTC)
- I question the notability of Teen winners at the state level. If you look at Wikipedia's definition of notable people, they are supposed to be people who contribute for a length of time. You also are dealing with Teenagers here, some of whom may not want to have their information published online. I don't know that it would be wise to do every teenager that wins a state pageant in Wikipedia but rather, I think it belongs in Wiki News. I think this is something for the overall wiki editors to look at. Victoria A. Davis 01:15, 1 January 2007 (UTC)
It appears the small image used for the templates has been deleted... not quite sure why but I have asked Blynguyen if he can figure it out! -- PageantUpdater • talk | contribs | esperanza 22:11, 27 August 2006 (UTC)
Hello. The WikiProject Council is currently in the process of developing a master directory of the existing WikiProjects to replace and update the existing Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory. These WikiProjects are of vital importance in helping wikipedia achieve its goal of becoming truly encyclopedic. Please review the following pages:
- User:Badbilltucker/Culture Directory,
- User:Badbilltucker/Culture Directory 2,
- User:Badbilltucker/Philosophy and religion Directory,
- User:Badbilltucker/Sports Directory,
- User:Badbilltucker/Geographical Directory,
- User:Badbilltucker/Geographical Directory/United States, (note: This page will be retitled to more accurately reflect its contents)
- User:Badbilltucker/History and society directory, and
- User:Badbilltucker/Science directory
and make any changes to the entries for your project that you see fit. There is also a directory of portals, at User:B2T2/Portal, listing all the existing portals. Feel free to add any of them to the portals or comments section of your entries in the directory. The three columns regarding assessment, peer review, and collaboration are included in the directory for both the use of the projects themselves and for that of others. Having such departments will allow a project to more quickly and easily identify its most important articles and its articles in greatest need of improvement. If you have not already done so, please consider whether your project would benefit from having departments which deal in these matters. It is my hope to have the existing directory replaced by the updated and corrected version of the directory above by November 1. Please feel free to make any changes you see fit to the entries for your project before then. If you should have any questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you. B2T2 20:59, 23 October 2006 (UTC)
- Sorry if you tried to update it before, and the corrections were gone. I have now put the new draft in the old directory pages, so the links should work better. My apologies for any confusion this may have caused you. B2T2 23:43, 23 October 2006 (UTC)
Does anyone think a Controversy in Miss Universe Organization pageants article would work? Pulling together info about Mary Leona Gage, Alicia Machado, Oxana Fedorova and the whole Tara/Katie scandal. Or perhaps an article on all beauty pageant scandals? -- PageantUpdater • talk | contribs | esperanza 21:23, 18 December 2006 (UTC)
Wikipedia Day Awards
Hello, all. It was initially my hope to try to have this done as part of Esperanza's proposal for an appreciation week to end on Wikipedia Day, January 15. However, several people have once again proposed the entirety of Esperanza for deletion, so that might not work. It was the intention of the Appreciation Week proposal to set aside a given time when the various individuals who have made significant, valuable contributions to the encyclopedia would be recognized and honored. I believe that, with some effort, this could still be done. My proposal is to, with luck, try to organize the various WikiProjects and other entities of wikipedia to take part in a larger celebrartion of its contributors to take place in January, probably beginning January 15, 2007. I have created yet another new subpage for myself (a weakness of mine, I'm afriad) at User talk:Badbilltucker/Appreciation Week where I would greatly appreciate any indications from the members of this project as to whether and how they might be willing and/or able to assist in recognizing the contributions of our editors. Thank you for your attention. Badbilltucker 15:55, 29 December 2006 (UTC)
Image or Information colaboration
Hi everyone. In the profile page of the Miss Universe 2002 and runner up Justine Pasek his image is not very visible his face therefore cannot be recognized very well if anybody has any photo of her who could contribute where one sees clearly. talk | If a photo manages to see of her or some Miss Panama-Señorita Panamá hat information to add to his profile. Thank for help. Evanex 19:23, 23 October 2010 (UTC)