Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Cannabis
|This is the talk page for discussing WikiProject Cannabis and anything related to its purposes and tasks.
|Archives: 1, 2|
|WikiProject Cannabis||(Rated Project-class)|
Using pre-1923 photos of hemp from Wisconsin Historical Society?
I stumbled across a number of photos of cannabis farming on the Wisconsin Historical Society page. Some of them are post-1923, but for the pre-1923 ones are we free to upload them to Wikimedia Commons even through the WHS is claiming "copyright" on them and selling access to them? Pre-1923 in the US is fair game, right? Or do they have some copyright justification if it wasn't published publicly in the US until some date, like it was an old archive/personal photo not previously disseminated? I don't want to chicken out of using their materials just because they claim "copyright", but I want to make sure I'm following the proper rules. I realize I can't make them hand over a high-res image or anything, but the example pics are fine for WP display. Here's the link Suggestions? Goonsquad LCpl Mulvaney (talk) 23:30, 28 February 2017 (UTC)
- Great question, and thanks for asking. I'm afraid I cannot be of any assistance (I tend to only upload images I've taken myself). If no one else is able to help here, you might try Wikipedia:Media copyright questions. Just wanted to share the link in case. I'd love to see many images uploaded and shared in galleries as part of this campaign. ---Another Believer (Talk) 23:41, 28 February 2017 (UTC)
- Asked here per advice: Wikipedia:Media_copyright_questions#Using_pre-1923_photos_of_hemp_from_Wisconsin_Historical_Society.3F. Goonsquad LCpl Mulvaney (talk) 05:05, 1 March 2017 (UTC)
- Agree with you, that what appears is just a 'boiler-plate' claim to copyright. However, that does not help you directly. If you wish to pursue it further ( and hope you and others will) here are some ramblings of other avenues to go down:
- The photos appears to be those of a type and style that the manufacturer McCormick Farmall would have commissioned to included in their catalogs for publication ( they obviously were not shot on an amateur `Kodak box'). They would have commissioned a professional. So they very likely have been published.
- Here in the UK it would be simple to go visit the British Library. It is a legal requirement that every UK publication is deposited there.. Your Library of Congress may have a similar policy. They are also great places to explore for everything and spend many happy hours getting lost in - whilst the world out-side goes by.
- The search I think should focus on the manufacturer: McCormick-Deering Farmall and McCormick Farmall and their trade catalogs.
- Much old farming equipment are now 'collectibles' also. There may be some enthusiasts that have old catalogs (with images) etc. You won't believe how much stuff they accumulate. Who knows, their Grandpa might have been a hemp farmer too. These people here may be able to put you in contact with those collectors Farmall Tractor History. Am sure there are many others.
- Like the idea of having more photographs (uploaded to Wikimedia Commons) of this once thriving industry that the US exported abroad, to protect William Randolph Hearst's heavy investments in forestry, to supply wood pulp for his newspaper empire at the expense of hemp farmers...
- Finally, any research you can do can be placed on Commons:Help desk where they have more in depth knowledge about image copyright. With a bit more background they may be able to blow this blanket 'boiler-plate' claim to copyright right out of the water.--Aspro (talk) 17:13, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
Do we need a general History of cannabis article?
Right now it just redirects to Cannabis (drug)'s "History" section. We have a ton of material scattered over a lot of articles, is there utility to trying to unite some of this material in one centralized location? Goonsquad LCpl Mulvaney (talk) 00:49, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
- Moved over some previous content from Cannabis and religion, which I'd briefly put at Ancient use of cannabis, but History of cannabis seemed the best catch-all title. Goonsquad LCpl Mulvaney (talk) 17:09, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
Discussion at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Endoca
Just a suggestion, but someone might want to ask at WT:DELSORT about having a delsort template specifically created for this WikiProject. This might make it a bit easier for others to notify the project of any AfD discussions of articles which might be of relevance to it. -- Marchjuly (talk) 06:26, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
Can more folks watchlist Jimmy Cournoyer for spam?
We have an SPA who keeps trying to promote a book there despite many explanations of needing third-party coverage. I don't want to 3RR, so can more folks watchlist? Goonsquad LCpl Mulvaney (talk) 02:43, 25 March 2017 (UTC)