Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Clans of Scotland
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the WikiProject Clans of Scotland page.|
|WikiProject Clans of Scotland||(Rated NA-class)|
- 1 Popular clan articles that need major work
- 2 ScotWiki Mailing List
- 3 Proposed restrictions on styles & titles of former royals
- 4 Carter-Campbell of Possil
- 5 Popular pages tool update
- 6 Sir Malcolm Colquhoun, 9th Baronet, Chief of the Colquhoun Clan
- 7 Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/Clan Buchanan Heraldry
- 8 Clan Cochrane
- 9 Clan Ewing Page
- 10 Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
- 11 WikiProject X is live!
Popular clan articles that need major work
- Clan Gregor - this has been a popular article for random IP users and others to come along and edit. But it has become a mass of unsourced information. What with the clan's famous member, Rob Roy MacGregor, it would be good to get the clan article up to a good standard, but I do not want to get into an edit war.
- Clan MacLaren - another article that has been popular to edit. It does have some sources but is largely unsourced. Would be good to get it up to a good standard.
- Clan Swinton - a lot of information and effort has been put into this article but again it is largely unsourced. Would be good to get up to standards.
- Update: I have made some edits to the Clan Gregor article - mainly removing unsourced info and adding info with references.QuintusPetillius (talk) 14:34, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
ScotWiki Mailing List
Thought this might be of interest: Wikimedia UK have launched a ScotWiki mailing list to help encourage more Wikimedia events in Scotland and hopefully to establish greater contact between Wikimedians throughout the country. You can sign up here - any/everybody is welcome to join! The goal is to spread the word about Wikimedia events or projects in Scotland; you can also promote or organise your own, or join in general discussion - the usual mailing list stuff. ACrockford (talk) 18:17, 23 October 2013 (UTC)
Proposed restrictions on styles & titles of former royals
A proposal is now pending to !vote to ban use of titles, honorifics and styles historically associated with titled members of no longer reigning families or to require that wherever such titles are mentioned in a Wikipedia bio, article or template that a disclaimer must be attached informing the reader that the title/style is not legal or is a courtesy title only. You may read opinions and express your views here. FactStraight (talk) 22:49, 26 November 2013 (UTC)
I have serious problems with the current state of this article. I'm being reverted in edits to take in hand, by User:ContribUnit, who is apparently unaware that "defending" the article in this fashion, they are putting its very existence at risk. I actually do not see so far that this subdivision of Campbells is worth an article in its own right: I was led there by a reference I couldn't resolve, and the sheer accumulation of material is not as far as I can see establishing the notability. There a clear line between clan history and indiscriminate family history, as I hope is common ground. Charles Matthews (talk) 12:13, 16 January 2014 (UTC)
- The article has potential to be a good article but is not yet. If you can improve it then go ahead and edit. However I would be unhappy for the article to be deleted. The majority of the article is well sourced with secondary sources, however it does not read very well, not like an encyclopedia article should.QuintusPetillius (talk) 19:46, 16 January 2014 (UTC)
Popular pages tool update
As of January, the popular pages tool has moved from the Toolserver to Wikimedia Tool Labs. The code has changed significantly from the Toolserver version, but users should notice few differences. Please take a moment to look over your project's list for any anomalies, such as pages that you expect to see that are missing or pages that seem to have more views than expected. Note that unlike other tools, this tool aggregates all views from redirects, which means it will typically have higher numbers. (For January 2014 specifically, 35 hours of data is missing from the WMF data, which was approximated from other dates. For most articles, this should yield a more accurate number. However, a few articles, like ones featured on the Main Page, may be off).
Web tools, to replace the ones at tools:~alexz/pop, will become available over the next few weeks at toollabs:popularpages. All of the historical data (back to July 2009 for some projects) has been copied over. The tool to view historical data is currently partially available (assessment data and a few projects may not be available at the moment). The tool to add new projects to the bot's list is also available now (editing the configuration of current projects coming soon). Unlike the previous tool, all changes will be effective immediately. OAuth is used to authenticate users, allowing only regular users to make changes to prevent abuse. A visible history of configuration additions and changes is coming soon. Once tools become fully available, their toolserver versions will redirect to Labs.
If you have any questions, want to report any bugs, or there are any features you would like to see that aren't currently available on the Toolserver tools, see the updated FAQ or contact me on my talk page. Mr.Z-bot (talk) (for Mr.Z-man) 04:59, 23 February 2014 (UTC)
Sir Malcolm Colquhoun, 9th Baronet, Chief of the Colquhoun Clan
Dear Scotland experts: Is there material in this abandoned AfC draft that should be merged into the Clan Buchanan article? If so, is there someone here willing to integrate the material, crediting the draft's creator in the edit summary? The draft will be deleted shortly unless someone takes an interest in it. —Anne Delong (talk) 20:34, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
I was left a message on my talk page, possibly because I was the last person to edit the Clan Cochrane page. I don't really have time to do much about it so I'm posting it here in hopes that someone else can take care of things. Of course, I'm unable to verify the identity of the person but the point about the clan motto and crest being incorrect seems valid. The message from my talk page follows:
- I am Thomas Cochran, President of Clan Cochrane in North America and Commissioner to the Chief Clan Cochrane. While I find most of your page accurate and well written there is a glaring error. The Clan Motto is not "Virtute et Labour". It is "Virtute et Labore".Labour is an alternate spelling of the English "labor". Labore is the Latin word for "hard work", which is paired with the Latin word for "valor". The clan crest thus is incorrect also. I have seen this version around the internet and I not sure how to address that issue, but I do hope you will correct your page. Thanks. 184.108.40.206 (talk) 23:53, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- I've adapted the previous image file to include the correct motto.Thor Ewing (talk) 09:24, 11 May 2015 (UTC)
Clan Ewing Page
I noticed that there is no page for Clan Ewing and recently Clan Ewing has been officially recognized by the Court of the Lord Lyon. I would like to create a page because there's a lot of information relevant specifically to Clan Ewing such as their crest, coat-of-arms, registered tartan, and roots.
I saw some notices about unlinked pages being deleted. Should I first identify pages this article would reference against and edit in those references before building that page, or is deletion unlikely? (I've never created a page before)
- It doesn't look like this is about to happen any time soon. Would it be OK for me to put up a stub myself (I'm Commander of the Clan)? Thor Ewing (talk) 18:25, 10 May 2015 (UTC)
Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
Hello there! As you may already know, most WikiProjects here on Wikipedia struggle to stay active after they've been founded. I believe there is a lot of potential for WikiProjects to facilitate collaboration across subject areas, so I have submitted a grant proposal with the Wikimedia Foundation for the "WikiProject X" project. WikiProject X will study what makes WikiProjects succeed in retaining editors and then design a prototype WikiProject system that will recruit contributors to WikiProjects and help them run effectively. Please review the proposal here and leave feedback. If you have any questions, you can ask on the proposal page or leave a message on my talk page. Thank you for your time! (Also, sorry about the posting mistake earlier. If someone already moved my message to the talk page, feel free to remove this posting.) Harej (talk) 22:47, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
WikiProject X is live!
You may have received a message from me earlier asking you to comment on my WikiProject X proposal. The good news is that WikiProject X is now live! In our first phase, we are focusing on research. At this time, we are looking for people to share their experiences with WikiProjects: good, bad, or neutral. We are also looking for WikiProjects that may be interested in trying out new tools and layouts that will make participating easier and projects easier to maintain. If you or your WikiProject are interested, check us out! Note that this is an opt-in program; no WikiProject will be required to change anything against its wishes. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Note: To receive additional notifications about WikiProject X on this talk page, please add this page to Wikipedia:WikiProject X/Newsletter. Otherwise, this will be the last notification sent about WikiProject X.