Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Golf
|This is the talk page for discussing WikiProject Golf and anything related to its purposes and tasks.
|Archives: Index, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|WikiProject Golf||(Rated Project-class)|
|Main pages(edit · changes)|
|Requested Golf articles||talk|
|Articles for Deletion|
|This talk page is automatically archived by MiszaBot II. Any threads with no replies in 3 months may be automatically moved. Sections without timestamps are not archived.|
Welcome to the Wikiproject Golf talk page. This is the place for questions, answers, and telling the rest of the group some of your accomplishments. New members should put their name down in the appropriate spot on the main page. Comment away!
- 1 Korean Tour external link template
- 2 Gary Planos
- 3 Jamaica Open NY Golf Tournament
- 4 Timeline of golf (2000–present)
- 5 Jacob's Creek Open Championship
- 6 The Championship at Laguna National
- 7 Laxman Singh
- 8 Gary Player and the Senior British Open
- 9 MENA (Golf) Tour
- 10 PING (golf) vs Ping (golf) for page statistics
I'm thinking of creating a WikiProject Golf at the Korean Tour official site (in Korean) on the lines of the others at Wikipedia:WikiProject_Golf/Templates#External_link_templates. This would link through to http://kgt.co.kr/players/profile.aspx?man_code=nnnnnnnn , eg K. J. Choi would be http://kgt.co.kr/players/profile.aspx?man_code=00000190 . The only issue is that pages are in Korean but the "translate to English" in my Chrome browser is helpful, although occasionally obscure (eg height = 신장 is translated as kidney. The page contains a lot of good stuff. eg the second option (결과 = results) gives season by season results.
- "Gary Planos, popular tournament host at Kapalua, dies". USA Today. March 27, 2016. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
- "Player favorite, 'Mr. Kapalua,' Gary Planos passes at 62". Golf Channel. March 27, 2016. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
- Hosting a golf tournament doesn't seem like grounds for notability. pʰeːnuːmuː → pʰiːnyːmyː → ɸinimi → fiɲimi 04:32, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
- Not notable as a golfer. I'm doubtful that there is sufficient interest in him to warrant an article even if he might, strictly speaking, pass WP:GNG. Nigej (talk) 06:28, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
Jamaica Open NY Golf Tournament
Anyone got any views on Jamaica Open NY Golf Tournament? A one-off event in 2014. Seems to be below our normal threshold but can let it go if people think it's worth keeping. Nigej (talk) 11:41, 6 January 2019 (UTC)
Timeline of golf (2000–present)
The Timeline of golf (2000–present) article needs sorting out. We have 2004 in golf, etc, so it seems to me that the Timeline of golf (2000–present) article needs, at a minimum a rename to Timeline of golf (2000–2003). Personally it seems to me that 2000 is perhaps a good point to start the NNNN in golf series. Why not split off the Timeline of golf (2000–present) into 4 pages: 2000 in golf, 2001 in golf, 2002 in golf, 2003 in golf. (a couple of these already exist as redirects to the PGA Tour) Nigej (talk) 10:43, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
Jacob's Creek Open Championship
The Championship at Laguna National
- The article's one and only source isn't coming up....William, is the complaint department really on the roof? 12:04, 18 January 2019 (UTC)
Gary Player and the Senior British Open
The PGA Tour is now acknowledging Player's three SBO wins as majors. This opens up a whole series of problems. 1- Player's article will need an overhaul to include his three wins. I did his playoff box. His senior major championship results will need to be adjusted to include these results. 2- I wonder if the PGA Tour has totally thought this through. But if they acknowledge Player's wins, they should for everyone who won the SBO between 87-2003. Or at least since 88 when Player won for the first time. They haven't done anything for other players (Most SBO winners prior to 2003 had minimum to no PGA Tour careers) so far. I checked Tom Wargo's PGA Tour page. It still lists him with 4 Champions tour wins. His 1994 SBO win would make 5.
So what do we do about the other SBO winners? I say acknowledge them as major winners also. If Player's wins in 88, 90, and 97 are acknowledged as ones, all the rest should....William, is the complaint department really on the roof? 00:50, 19 January 2019 (UTC)
I did further checking. Bob Charles two SBO wins 89 and 93 are also being acknowledged. That I think ices it. Senior tour records need to be adjusted....William, is the complaint department really on the roof? 00:56, 19 January 2019 (UTC)
- I think from a European Senior Tour point of view there's not much to do (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think we list EST major winners (not even sure if it is well defined anyway). The EST already includes SBO wins pre-its formation in 1992 as EST wins: List of golfers with most European Senior Tour wins. Obviously some changes needed to Senior Open Championship page to reflect the new situation re Champion Tour. Also currently it says there "(prior to European Senior Tour sanction)" between 1992 and 1991 which seems to be incorrect or at least misleading/confusing. Nigej (talk) 07:03, 19 January 2019 (UTC)
MENA (Golf) Tour
The MENA Golf Tour is now the MENA Tour. The website is now menatour.golf rather than menagolftour.com although the old website links to the new one (home page only). Looks like it will take place. Probably ought to rename the page at some point (currently MENA Tour is a redirect) and sort out the urls. Nigej (talk) 10:54, 21 January 2019 (UTC)
PING (golf) vs Ping (golf) for page statistics
To better align the PING brand with the intents of the PING company I moved Ping (golf) to PING (golf). I thought I did this properly. I can't seem to get the page statistics to follow this move. Would you please help me do this? NickWikiAccount1708 (talk) 21:52, 3 February 2019 (UTC)
https://xtools.wmflabs.org/articleinfo/en.wikipedia.org/PING_(golf)NickWikiAccount1708 (talk) 22:37, 3 February 2019 (UTC)