Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles
|WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles was featured in a WikiProject Report in the Signpost on 12 November 2007. If you wish to get involved with the Signpost, please visit the Newsroom.|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles page.|
|Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9|
- 1 Wikipedia:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles/Thompson-Reuters most cited scientists
- 2 New tool
- 3 Wikipedia:WikiProject Encyclopaedia Britannica
- 4 Museo del Prado encyclopedia
- 5 Invitation to User Study
- 6 Wikipedia:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles/Movies/M-Q
- 7 Selection from Wikipedia:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles/ADB
- 8 Invitation to Participate in a User Study - Final Reminder
- 9 Missing directors
- 10 Missing palaeontology articles
- 11 Missing saints
- 12 Leaflet For Missing Encyclopedic Articles At Wikimania 2014
- 13 Citizendium porting
- 14 Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
- 15 Africana
- 16 Are tables of contents/indexes copyrighted?
- 17 WikiProject X is live!
Per the discussion at Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/Newsroom/Suggestions#“The Distorted Mirror of Wikipedia: a Quantitative Analysis of Wikipedia Coverage of Academics”, I have created a page for Wikipedia:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles/Thompson-Reuters most cited scientists, but it is very short at the moment, listing only 34 of the 6,000+ names identified by Thompson-Reuters. I plan to expand it further, but if anyone else wants to do so, please do. bd2412 T 23:39, 3 November 2013 (UTC)
- Nice idea. Obviously that 6000 articles will require years to be created, but we are doing ok with creating lists of missing topics. --emijrp (talk) 16:07, 9 November 2013 (UTC)
Hi, I wrote a new tool that seems relevant to this endeavor here :-) Basically, it allows for easier, more fine-grained matching of third-party articles to Wikidata items (and thereby, Wikipedia articles). I'll be happy to add more catalogs if there's something you'd like. --Magnus Manske (talk) 08:47, 13 November 2013 (UTC)
I have created a new subproject called Wikipedia:WikiProject Encyclopaedia Britannica to give people editing in that area a focus point (all of course welcome). -- PBS (talk) 13:13, 17 November 2013 (UTC)
Museo del Prado encyclopedia
Here is a list of painters and other artists (many Spanish ones). It is an encyclopedia of Museo del Prado. It is not free, but the index is useful to discover missing articles. emijrp (talk) 16:17, 29 November 2013 (UTC)
Invitation to User Study
Would you be interested in participating in a user study? We are a team at University of Washington studying methods for finding collaborators within a Wikipedia community. We are looking for volunteers to evaluate a new visualization tool. All you need to do is to prepare for your laptop/desktop, web camera, and speaker for video communication with Google Hangout. We will provide you with a Amazon gift card in appreciation of your time and participation. For more information about this study, please visit our wiki page (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Finding_a_Collaborator). If you would like to participate in our user study, please send me a message at Wkmaster (talk) 22:41, 13 January 2014 (UTC).
Hello friends I recently found that the films under the list Wikipedia:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles/Movies/M-Q are already there on Wikipedia .So I created redirects and removed those names from the list. Sorry if I have done anything wrong,but I have seen that most entries on Wikipedia:WikiProject_Missing_encyclopedic_articles/Movies ,Wikipedia:WikiProject_Missing_encyclopedic_articles/Actors have their articles yet their names haven't been removed.I want to be an active contributor to this project .I think I can do a lot of work for this project .Skr15081997 (talk) 12:55, 24 January 2014 (UTC)
Selection from Wikipedia:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles/ADB
Invitation to Participate in a User Study - Final Reminder
Would you be interested in participating in a user study of a new tool to support editor involvement in WikiProjects? We are a team at the University of Washington studying methods for finding collaborators within WikiProjects, and we are looking for volunteers to evaluate a new visual exploration tool for Wikipedia. Given your interest in this Wikiproject, we would welcome your participation in our study. To participate, you will be given access to our new visualization tool and will interact with us via Google Hangout so that we can solicit your thoughts about the tool. To use Google Hangout, you will need a laptop/desktop, a web camera, and a speaker for video communication during the study. We will provide you with an Amazon gift card in appreciation of your time and participation. For more information about this study, please visit our wiki page (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Finding_a_Collaborator). If you would like to participate in our user study, please send me a message at Wkmaster (talk) 16:40, 5 March 2014 (UTC).
- Kodanda Rami Reddy A. to A. Kodandarami Reddy
- Rao C. S. R. to C. S. Rao
- F. H. Constantino to Fely Constantino
Missing palaeontology articles
I've compiled a list of pages that contains red links to genus names that should all be articles. I'll copy it here:
- Pages with many red links, that need to be made into articles: Taxa: Sparassodonta, Condylarthra, Equidae, Tapiroidea, Rhinocerotidae, Brontotheriidae, Suidae, Proboscidea, Cervidae, Antilocapridae, Anthracotheriidae, Hyaenidae, Amynodontidae, Oxyaenidae, Felidae, Hyaenodontidae, Odobenidae, Phocidae, Glyptodontidae, Pampatheriidae, Proterotheriidae, Macraucheniidae, Toxodontidae, Isotemnidae, Notohippidae, Leptictida, Cimolesta, Hyracoidea. Lists: List of therapsids, List of prehistoric mammals, List of extinct cetaceans, List of fossil primates, List of fossil birds, List of prehistoric bony fish, List of prehistoric cartilaginous fish, List of prehistoric jawless fish, List of placoderms, List of acanthodians, List of Ediacaran genera, and a horde of invertebrate lists can be found here: 
- There are 5138 redlinks, by memory, full list here Feel free to copy it on-wiki. All the best, Rich Farmbrough, 04:55, 13 April 2014 (UTC).
- Rich I will copy the missing paleontology articles list. Should I create User:Rich_Farmbrough/wanted/paleontology or just create it under this project. What do you say?--Skr15081997 (talk) 05:14, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
I have created a list of missing saints at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Rich_Farmbrough/wanted/saints .
Of course many of these will be redirects, but please feel free to copy the list to English Wikipedia somewhere User:Rich Farmbrough/wanted/saints if you wish.
I cannot do this myself because it is currently being debated whether this is allowed under restrictions forbidding me from doing anything but "typing in the box". All the best, Rich Farmbrough, 04:03, 13 April 2014 (UTC).
- Done I have created it under your userspace.--Skr15081997 (talk) 05:28, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
Leaflet For Missing Encyclopedic Articles At Wikimania 2014
My name is Adi Khajuria and I am helping out with Wikimania 2014 in London.
One of our initiatives is to create leaflets to increase the discoverability of various Wikimedia projects, and showcase the breadth of activity within Wikimedia. Any kind of project can have a physical paper leaflet designed - for free - as a tool to help recruit new contributors. These leaflets will be printed at Wikimania 2014, and the designs can be re-used in the future at other events and locations.
This is particularly aimed at highlighting less discoverable but successful projects, e.g:
• Active Wikiprojects: Wikiproject Medicine, WikiProject Video Games, Wikiproject Film
• Tech projects/Tools, which may be looking for either users or developers.
• Less known major projects: Wikinews, Wikidata, Wikivoyage, etc.
• Wiki Loves Parliaments, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves ____
• Wikimedia thematic organisations, Wikiwomen’s Collaborative, The Signpost
See User_talk:Rich_Farmbrough#Mark_project_defunct.3F. Also the lists at Wikipedia:WikiProject Citizendium Porting and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Emijrp/Citizendium. All the best: Rich Farmbrough, 05:37, 30 July 2014 (UTC).
Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
Hello there! As you may already know, most WikiProjects here on Wikipedia struggle to stay active after they've been founded. I believe there is a lot of potential for WikiProjects to facilitate collaboration across subject areas, so I have submitted a grant proposal with the Wikimedia Foundation for the "WikiProject X" project. WikiProject X will study what makes WikiProjects succeed in retaining editors and then design a prototype WikiProject system that will recruit contributors to WikiProjects and help them run effectively. Please review the proposal here and leave feedback. If you have any questions, you can ask on the proposal page or leave a message on my talk page. Thank you for your time! (Also, sorry about the posting mistake earlier. If someone already moved my message to the talk page, feel free to remove this posting.) Harej (talk) 22:47, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
Are tables of contents/indexes copyrighted?
Can we digitize tables of contents / indexes from copyrighted encyclopedias and such? For example, if I have a list of topics from a mondern encyclopedia, can I share it with this project? (If anyone replies here, please WP:ECHO me - thanks). --Piotr Konieczny aka Prokonsul Piotrus| reply here 03:34, 31 October 2014 (UTC)
WikiProject X is live!
You may have received a message from me earlier asking you to comment on my WikiProject X proposal. The good news is that WikiProject X is now live! In our first phase, we are focusing on research. At this time, we are looking for people to share their experiences with WikiProjects: good, bad, or neutral. We are also looking for WikiProjects that may be interested in trying out new tools and layouts that will make participating easier and projects easier to maintain. If you or your WikiProject are interested, check us out! Note that this is an opt-in program; no WikiProject will be required to change anything against its wishes. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Note: To receive additional notifications about WikiProject X on this talk page, please add this page to Wikipedia:WikiProject X/Newsletter. Otherwise, this will be the last notification sent about WikiProject X.