Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Years
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the WikiProject Years page.
|Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12|
|WikiProject Years||(Rated NA-class)|
|WikiProject Years was featured in a WikiProject Report in the Signpost on July 2009. If you wish to get involved with the Signpost, please visit the Newsroom.|
"New English words" sections
Some year articles have had a section entitled "New English words" added to them. These sections usually contain non-notable neologisms, in contrast with the rest of the page. I don't think the year articles are the right place for this information. Thoughts?
- My plan was to add "New English words" section to all year articles going backwards. I know I introduced something new to these articles. I thought there is nothing wrong with introducing something new. This tracks the development of the language over the years / centuries and is good encyclopedic information to record. Sheriff | ☎ 911 | 10:58, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- SheriffIsInTown, yeah, I agree that it's encyclopedic information and that it's likely a good idea to have these listed somewhere. I wonder if it may be a better idea to have the information somewhere else, such as in an article with just those new words? Enterprisey (talk!) 07:34, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
Duplicate year categories
Hey, all. I've noticed some strange new categories that seem to duplicate existing ones.
- Category:Current events by country
- Category:2018-related timelines for current events
- Category:2018 timelines by country
I put them all up for CfD: Wikipedia:Categories_for_discussion/Log/2018_November_19. I think this project pertains to these categories and I would love some more input. Best, BenKuykendall (talk) 08:30, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Consensus seems to be that 0s is not exactly a decade, but runs from January 1, 1 through December 31, 9. — Arthur Rubin (talk) 21:19, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
- However, regardless of whether 0s and 0s BC are in List of decades, they should definitely be in Category:Decades. — Arthur Rubin (talk) 21:27, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
Garchomp2017 asserts that, for example, a person born in 1992 and died in 2008, can only have an image in 1992#Births if he has an image in 2018#Deaths. I see no reasonable justification based on policy, guidelines, or custon; nor any previous discussion here. I think it unreasonable. Comments? — Arthur Rubin (talk) 16:30, 2 December 2018 (UTC)
- The argument seems to me parallel to WP:OTHERSTUFFEXISTS. — Arthur Rubin (talk) 16:35, 2 December 2018 (UTC)
Well I want Wikipedia to be balanced. Like yeah, some people can have their images here but if it takes too much room, then it just creates a bit of a problem and I could replace someone’s image for Miller in the 2018 article but I’m not completely sure if there was a discussion about it. Gar (talk) 21:35, 2 December 2018 (UTC)
- Balanced? Like a pair of bookends, but not even as balanced as fair and balanced news. — Arthur Rubin (talk) 07:36, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
Chronology categories for Congress Poland
Please see and participate in the discussion at Category talk:1900s establishments in Congress Poland. – Fayenatic London 20:43, 7 December 2018 (UTC)