|• Total||21.13 km2 (8.16 sq mi)|
|Elevation||419 m (1,375 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2015)|
|• Density||81/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Dettighofen (DE-BW), Eggingen (DE-BW), Hallau, Jestetten (DE-BW), Klettgau (DE-BW), Neunkirch, Trasadingen|
Profile (in German), SFSO statistics
Wilchingen has an area, as of 2006[update], of 21.2 km2 (8.2 sq mi). Of this area, 50.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 42.1% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 6.9% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.4%) is non-productive (rivers or lakes). In 2005 the village of Osterfingen merged into Wilchingen.
Coat of arms
Wilchingen has a population (as of 2008[update]) of 1,692, of which 11.2% are foreign nationals. Of the foreign population, (as of 2008[update]), 38.5% are from Germany, 15.5% are from Italy, 1.6% are from Croatia, 18.7% are from Serbia, 4.8% are from Macedonia, and 20.9% are from another country. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -1.2%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (93.8%), with Albanian being second most common ( 1.6%) and Italian being third ( 1.1%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2008[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 15.7% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 58.5% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 25.8%.
In Wilchingen about 79.7% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). In Wilchingen, as of 2007[update], 2.37% of the population attend kindergarten or another pre-school, 8.64% attend a Primary School, 4.8% attend a lower level Secondary School, and 3.43% attend a higher level Secondary School.
Wilchingen has an unemployment rate of 0.7%. As of 2005[update], there were 211 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 70 businesses involved in this sector. 203 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 22 businesses in this sector. 336 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 50 businesses in this sector.
As of 2008[update] the mid year average unemployment rate was 1.6%. There were 69 non-agrarian businesses in the municipality and 38.3% of the (non-agrarian) population was involved in the secondary sector of the economy while 61.7% were involved in the third. At the same time, 62.5% of the working population was employed full-time, and 37.5% was employed part-time. There were 554 residents of the municipality who were employed in some capacity, of which females made up 44.4% of the workforce. As of 2000[update] there were 347 residents who worked in the municipality, while 450 residents worked outside Wilchingen and 181 people commuted into the municipality for work.
There are two official border crossings into Germany in the municipality - one at Osterfingen (Zollstrasse) with Jestetten in Waldshut district, Baden-Württemberg state; and at Wilchingen town (Löchlistrasse) with Weisweil, also in Waldshut district.
Heritage sites of national significance
The early-neolithic settlement at Underflüe and the neolithic hilltop settlement at Flühhalde as well as the Trottenhaus and another house in the village of Osterfingen are listed as Swiss heritage sites of national significance.
Wilchingen has an average of 123.6 days of rain or snow per year and on average receives 938 mm (36.9 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is August during which time Wilchingen receives an average of 101 mm (4.0 in) of rain or snow. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 11 days. The month with the most days of precipitation is May, with an average of 12.2, but with only 76 mm (3.0 in) of rain or snow. The driest month of the year is September with an average of 65 mm (2.6 in) of precipitation over 11 days.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2016
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 30-December-2009
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (in German) accessed 23 September 2009
- Flags of the World.com accessed 30-December-2009
- Statistical Office of the Canton of Schaffhausen (in German) accessed 2 December 2009
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance 21.11.2008 version, (in German) accessed 30-Dec-2009
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, and Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the weather station elevation is 420 meters above sea level.
- Media related to Wilchingen at Wikimedia Commons