Wilcox County High School
In 2013 the school had 400 students.
Historically, students organized separate parties classified as proms; black and white students attended separate parent-organized proms which were not organized by the school administration. In 2012, a black student from the school was voted the Homecoming Queen; however, she did not purchase a ticket to the homecoming dance, but felt that she had been insulted because she was still expected to pay to participate in the privately funded dance. In 2013, students organized the first private racially integrated prom, and the school district announced that it would consider holding a school-sponsored integrated prom in 2014. The first school-organized prom was held in 2014, and the school has held a prom each year since.
- Alfonzo Dennard, former New England Patriots cornerback
- Nick Marshall, former Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback
- Gumbrecht, Jamie. "'New tradition' for Georgia students: Their first racially integrated prom." CNN. April 5, 2013. Retrieved on April 6, 2013.
- Bourgeois, Clinton. "New Video: Wilcox County Students Fight Segregated Prom." (Archive) WSAV-TV. April 3, 2013. Updated April 5, 2013. Retrieved on April 7, 2013.
- "Wilcox County Schools Respond to Integrated Prom." (Archive) WMAZ. April 6, 2013. Retrieved on April 7, 2013.
- "WCHS 2015 Prom". Facebook. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
|This school-related article concerning the U.S. state of Georgia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|