Wild (video game)
|Developer(s)||Wild Sheep Studio|
|Publisher(s)||Sony Interactive Entertainment|
Wild (stylized as WiLD) is an upcoming open world survival adventure game developed by French developer Wild Sheep Studio and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment as a PlayStation 4 exclusive. The game was announced in 2014 at Gamescom.
Wild is set during the prehistoric Neolithic period (approximately 10,000–2,500 BC), in a procedurally generated world of seemingly infinite size. Within the game world, the player controls a human and can use smaller animals to spy on others, or larger animals to support the player and their tribe in fights with other humans. Animals can be controlled by using shamanic like powers - once "possessing" an animal the gameplay moves to the point of view of the controlled creature, and then proceeds using the skills and characteristics of that animal.
Wild began development in 2014 at Wild Sheep Studio, a developer based in Montpellier founded by Michel Ancel from Ubisoft. Initial plans for the game included a very large, continent-sized open world, dynamic weather complete with seasonal variations, online play, and the ability to play as any wild creature in the world, including wolves, sheep, fish, ants, cats, birds, etc. A gameplay trailer for the game was shown at Gamescom in August 2014 and then at Paris Games Week in October 2015, where the developers released a new gameplay trailer and a film about the production of the game.
- "WiLD: Technology & People behind an Environmental Adventure". 80.lv.
- Dent, Steve (29 October 2015), "Befriend a bear or get killed by it in PS4-exclusive 'Wild'", www.engadget.com
- Haas, Pete (28 October 2015), "PS4 Exclusive Wild Lets You Possess Animals, Talk To Gods", www.cinemablend.com
- Dale, Laura Kate (27 October 2015), "PS4 exclusive Wild looks like symbiotic Animorphs", www.destructiod.com
- "Rayman creator Michel Ancel leading new indie studio Wild Sheep, will stay at Ubisoft (update)". polygon.com.
- "Introducing WiLD, a PS4 exclusive from Rayman creator Michel Ancel", blog.eu.playstation.com, 12 August 2014
- Anderson, Kell (12 August 2014), "Gamescom 2014: PS4 Exclusive WiLD Looks Wacky, Wonderful, and, Erm, Wild", www.pushsquare.com
- "PARIS GAMES WEEK: WILD GAMEPLAY TRAILER". gameindustry.com.
- "Thomas Bonin – Software Engineer, Gameplay" (PDF). tombbonin.com.
- "Wild :Michel Ancel Posts Picture, Promises More Spoiler-Free Screens Soon". www.gameinformer.com. 27 Jan 2017.
- Kolner, Chris (27 Dec 2016), "Thanks for Nothing, Videogames: The 2016 Vaporware Awards", www.wired.com
- Fulton, Will (19 June 2017), "Here are the top vaporware games that are currently MIA", www.digitaltrends.com
- DonnellanBy, Jimmy (23 Nov 2017), "Where Has The PS4 Exclusive WiLD Gone?", culturedvultures.com,
(June 2018) Update: it didn't turn up at PSX 2017 or E3 2018. Gulp.