Wild Chives and Soy Bean Soup: 12 Years Reunion
|Wild Chives and Soy Bean Soup: 12 Years Reunion|
Promotional poster for Wild Chives and Soy Bean Soup: 12 Years Reunion
|Also known as||Jang Gook Becomes Dal-rae: Reunion in 12 Years
Wild Chives and Tofu Soup
Wild Chive Soybean Paste Soup, Soothed Clear Soup
|Written by||Kim Yi-kyung|
|Directed by||Kim Do-hyung
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Executive producer(s)||Jo Joon-hyung|
|Running time||Saturdays and Sundays at 20:45 (KST)|
|Production company(s)||Drama House|
|Original release||22 March 2014– 29 June 2014|
|Preceded by||The Firstborn|
Wild Chives and Soy Bean Soup: 12 Years Reunion (Hangul: 달래 된, 장국: 12년만의 재회; RR: Dalrae Dwaen, Jangkook: 12nyeonmanui Jaehwe) is a 2014 South Korean television series starring Lee So-yeon, Namgung Min, Lee Tae-im, Yoon So-hee, Lee Won-keun and Ryu Hyoyoung. It aired on jTBC from March 22 to June 29, 2014 on Saturdays and Sundays at 20:45 for 26 episodes.
The title is a pun, and can also mean Jang Gook Becomes Dal-rae: Reunion in 12 Years. The female protagonist's name Jang Gook means "clear soup with doenjang" which she later changes to Dal-rae, meaning "azalea."
In 2002, on the night of Korea's momentous World Cup win, high school sweethearts Jang Gook and Yoo Joon-soo sleep together and Jang Gook ends up pregnant. They are given permission to marry by Joon-soo's father, but eventually split up and go their separate ways due to circumstances and the fierce opposition of their mothers. To move on, Jang Gook leaves Korea to live in the U.S., and changes her name to Jang Dal-rae. Twelve years later, they reunite and get entangled in each other's lives again.
- Gook is a high school senior at the start of the story. She is a good student who has achieved the highest ranking in her classes. After losing her father in a tragic accident, she moves from Busan to Seoul with her mother and younger brother, Hoon. She meets and begins a relationship with her classmate Yoo Joon-soo.
- Joon-soo is a high school senior at Daehan High School. He is handsome, friendly, and a good student. His father is the vice principal of the school. His family owns the building in which Jang Gook's family operates a dumpling restaurant. Over the course of twelve years, Joon-soo goes from the son of a prominent wealthy household to struggling as the eldest provider for a family that scrapes by from paycheck to paycheck. Prideful and temperamental, he seems tough on the outside but is vulnerable underneath it all.
- Da-hae is an ace student who received the highest math score in all of Korea. She is humiliated when her father's adultery becomes public knowledge. Da-hae has been friends with Joon-soo since childhood, and is in love with him. When Joon-soo rejects Da-hae to date Gook, she is devastated.
- Jang Gook/Dal-rae's family
- Bae Jong-ok as Choi Go-soon
- Oh Seung-yoon as Jang Hoon
- Ra Yoon-chan as young Jang Hoon
- Seo Woo-rim as Yeo Il-sook
- Kim Young-ran as Yeo Sam-sook
- Uhm Hyo-sup as Jang Gook's father
- Yoo Joon-soo's family
- Park Hae-mi as Pyung Beom-sook
- Chun Ho-jin as Yoo Jung-han
- Kim Shi-hoo as Yoo Joon-sung
- Choi Won-hong as young Yoo Joon-sung
- Danny Ahn as Yoo Soo-han
- Jung Kyung-soon as Yoo Jung-sook
- Joo Da-hae's family
- Extended cast
- Jung Chan as Heo Se-min
- Jung In-sun as Kang Ham-cho
- Lee Young-eun as young Kang Ham-cho
- Choi Sung-joon as Park Moo-chul
- Han Min as young Park Moo-chul
- Ah Young as Park Moo-hee
- Lee Do-yeon as young Park Moo-hee
- Shin Dong-mi as Yeo-ok
- Jung Kyu-soo as Mr. Kang
- Kim, Gwang-kuk (11 February 2014). '달래 된, 장국' 대본 리딩 현장 공개...연습도 실전처럼. TenAsia (in Korean). Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- Kim, Hee-eun (19 March 2014). "Min Nam-gung 'happy' to act in new comedic family drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-15.