Wild Man From Borneo
|Wild Man From Borneo|
Wild Man From Borneo with owner Tom Widger
|Dam||Wild Duck (half-bred)|
|Country||United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland|
|Owner||1) J.J. Maher|
2) John and Joe Widger
|Grand National (1895)|
Wild Man was bred by George Keays at Newton House, Nenagh. His dam, Wild Duck, was a half-Thoroughbred sired by the registered Thoroughbred stallion Sheldrake (seventh in the 1877 St. Leger) out of an unraced half-breed mare. Wild Duck was sold as a four-year-old with the foal Wild Man at foot to J.J Maher. Maher won several steeplechases with Wild Duck, notably the Ward Hunt Cup, before selling her to E. Richardson in 1891, who sold her shortly afterward to a German buyer. Wild Man is Wild Duck's only recorded foal. Maher retained Wild Man until 1893, using him as a hunter initially as a three-year-old and then entering him in steeplechases beginning in April 1892. Wild Man was trained by James Gatland at his Wingrove Stables in Alfriston, Sussex.
Running in the name of Mrs. F. E. Norris, Wild Man finished third to Balmy and Drogheda in the 7 December 1897 Metropolitan Steeplechase at Gatwick.
|Alice Carneal||Sarpedon (GB)|
Wild Duck (GB)
|Bonny Breast Knot||Voltigeur|
|Ireland Yet mare||Ireland Yet (IRE)||Lance|
|William the Conqueror mare||William the Conqueror|
- Staff (1895). "Our Van". Baily's Magazine of Sports & Pastimes. 63: 280. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Fletcher, Joseph Smith (1902). The history of the St. Leger Stakes, 1776-1901. London: Hutchinson & co. p. 370.
- Prior, F.M. (1914). "Prior's "H-B" Studbook Volume I". Horace Cox. p. 208. Missing or empty
- Bird, Thomas Henry (1937). A hundred Grand nationals. London: C. Scribner's sons. p. 141.
- Staff (25 March 1896). "Messrs. J. Gatland and W. C. Clark". Racing Illustrated. 2: 324. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Staff (January 1898). "Sporting intelligence". Baily's Magazine of Sports and Pastimes. 69: 87. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Staff (July 1901). "Sporting intelligence". Baily's Magazine of Sports & Pastimes. 76: 78. Retrieved 5 January 2014.