Wild West (album)
|Studio album by Dottie West|
|Recorded||June 1980; Creative Workshop, Berry Hill, Tennessee|
|Label||United Artists & Liberty|
|Producer||Randy Goodrum, Brent Maher|
|Dottie West chronology|
Wild West is a country album by Dottie West, released in 1981.
This was one of Dottie West's best-selling albums as a solo artist. The album reached not only the No. 5 spot on the "Top Country Albums" chart but also reached No. 126 on the "Billboard 200". The boasted two no. 1 Billboard country hits for West, "Are You Happy Baby" and the biggest single of her career, a duet Kenny Rogers (uncredited, except on promo copies), "What Are We Doin' in Love". The latter song was also No. 14 on the Pop charts and no. 7 on the Adult Contemporary charts, West's highest ranking by far on either chart. Another single spawned from this same album, titled "(I'm Gonna) Put You Back on the Rack", which reached the Top 20 on both the Billboard and Cashbox Country charts.
The back cover photo of the album featured West wearing her infamous Spandex pants. This is one of West's best-known albums in all of her career. The front and back photos were by renowned Hollywood photographer Harry Langdon who subsequently shot the album covers for all of West's 1981-84 albums on Liberty Records.
- "Make a Plan"
- "Are You Happy Baby?" (Bob Stone)
- "What Are We Doin' in Love" (Randy Goodrum)
- With Kenny Rogers
- "Right of Wrong I'll Be with You"
- "Choosin' Means Losin'"
- "'(I'm Gonna) Put You Back on the Rack"
- "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" (Elton John, Bernie Taupin)
- "Please Remember Me" (Jerry Foster, Bill Rice)
- "I Wish That I Could Hurt That Way Again" (Curly Putman, Don Cook, Rafe VanHoy)
- Dottie West - vocals
- Jon Goin, Bruce Dees - guitar
- Sonny Garrish - steel guitar
- Jack Williams, Bob Wray - bass
- Shane Keister - keyboards
- Randy Goodrum - piano
- Pete Bordonali - mandolin
- Kenny Malone - drums, percussion
- Terry McMillan - harmonica
- The Sheldon Kurland Strings - strings
- Sheri Kramer, Donna McElroy, Bergen White - backing vocals
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||5|
|U.S. Billboard 200||126|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions|
|US Country||US||US AC||CAN Country||CAN AC|
|1980||"Are You Happy Baby"||1||—||—||—||—|
|1981||"What Are We Doin' in Love" (with Kenny Rogers)||1||14||7||3||9|
|"(I'm Gonna) Put You Back on the Rack"||16||—||—||22||—|