Wildlife Protection Act of 2010
The Wildlife Protection Act of 2010 is a statute enacted by the government of the District of Columbia (which is coterminous with the United States capital city of Washington). The Act was adopted by the Council of the District of Columbia on 2010 October 5.
Controversy began developing as critics of the law alleged that it protected rats without regard to their effects on the human population, a strident opponent from the outset being the Wildlife Society. The controversy broadened in early 2012 amid concerns about the prevalence of rats in the vicinity of the Occupy DC camp in the District of Columbia. Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) assailed the Act as encouraging exterminators to dump the District of Columbia’s rats into bordering Virginia. Similar concerns were voiced by Maryland legislator Pat McDonough (R-Baltimore).
- Lyons, Gillian (2010-11-12). "D.C. passes Wildlife Protection Act". Animal Blawg. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- The text of the Act is available at "Wildlife Protection Act of 2010" (PDF). Codification District of Columbia Official Code (2001 edition with 2011 winter supplement, enrolled original). 2010-11-08. Retrieved 2012-01-24. For background see also Czop, Lisa Marie (2010-11-08), "Fact vs. fiction: DC Wildlife Protection Act," Examiner (accessed 2012-01-24).
- "WTH? Wildlife Protection Act of 2010 is an example". Southern Maryland Community Forum. 2012-01-18. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- Ryder, Thomas J. (2010-11-03). "The Wildlife Protection Act [letter to the District of Columbia Council]" (PDF). Wildlife Society. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- Gowen, Annie (2012-01-09). "City: Rat population has 'exploded'around Occupy D.C. camps". Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- Goins, Christopher (2012-01-13). "VA AG fears DC law may relocate rat 'families' to Virginia". CNS News. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- Binder, Alan (2012-01-20). "Maryland delegate moves to ban rat trafficking, 'protect our borders'". Washington Examiner. Retrieved 2012-01-24. See also Colleluori, Salvatore (2012-01-12). "Maryland delegate uses anti-immigrant language to describe anti-rat trafficking bill". Media Matters Action Network. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- Chapman, Michael W. (2012-01-18). "DC wildlife law protects rats: Right to life for rodents". DC Insider. Retrieved 2012-01-24. See also Chapman, Michael W. (2012-01-17). "New DC law protects rats!". Investment Watch. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- Limbaugh, Rush (2012-01-16). "Washington, DC, law forces exterminators to capture and relocate rats". Rush Limbaugh Show. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- Greenwood, Arin (2012-01-24). "Maryland lawmaker wants policy to block rats from D.C.". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- "DC Councilmember Mary Cheh discusses Wildlife Protection Act". Fox 5 News. 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2012-01-24.