Wildlife of Kenya
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is not confined to the parks, pens, and reserves, although there is normally more abundance in such areas. There are many safaris held in Kenya, mostly in the reserves.
Main article: List of mammals of Kenya
Large plains herbivores
- The largest of the antelope in the savannah, weighing about 600 kilograms. They can be found all over Kenya, in places such as Nairobi National Park, Mt Kenya, Kora National Park, and Meru National Park
- Share grazing with zebra and stay in groups. They can be found in places like Nairobi National Park and Kora National Park
- Cape Buffalo
- Also known as the African Buffalo are known to be the most dangerous animal in Africa. They can be found at Nairobi National Park, Mount Kenya, Meru National Park, and Kora National Park
- Most are being relocated to safe places because of their endangerment, but there are still many wild rhino roaming Kenya. Although there are few places for visitors to see them, you are sure to find them at Nairobi National Park.
- Found in many different habitats in Kenya. They can be found from the hot coastlands to the cool moorlands of the Aberdares and mount Kenya range. A few of these places are Mount Kenya, Meru National Park, Kora National Park, and Amboseli National Park.
- Have little competition for the tender leaves of the acacia tree, their principal food.
- Irritable and normally cranky, are very dangerous. They are found in many of Kenya's basins, swamps, and areas with water. Some other places to find them are Nairobi National Park, Meru National Park, and Kora National Park.
- A medium-sized antelope often found in large herds, and known for its leaping ability.
- A type of wild pig.
- A small antelope similar to the orbi and duiker. They travel in groups of two or alone. They can be found in different areas in Kenya, including Mt Kenya.
- They travel alone or in groups of two or three. They are similar to the suni and the duiker.
- Normally travel alone but sometimes go in pairs. They are similar to the suni and orbi.
- A powerful predator who uses its power to its advantage. It can be found all over Kenya, and in places such as Nairobi National Park, Mt Kenya, and Kora National Park
- Another predator who, like the lion, has much brute force and uses it. They hunt at night and use their excellent eyesight to spot and kill their prey. They can be found at Nairobi National Park, Mt Kenya, Meru National Park, Kora National Park, and over almost all of Kenya.
- A predator who hunts in the day time and its most powerful weapon is its speed. They live in places like Nairobi National Park, Meru National Park, and Kora National Park.
- Wild Dog
- Are predators that roam over parts of Kenya. The African Wild Dog Conservancy is actively engaged in helping to save this endangered species from extinction.
- A powerful predator that sometimes travel in groups. They have the strongest jaw pressure and most powerful bite out of any animal in Kenya except for the Nile crocodile. Both the spotted and striped variety of Hyena can be found at Nairobi National Park, Mt Kenya, and Kora National Park.
- Serval cat
- One of the smaller predators in Kenya.
- A small cat-like predator that lives in Kenya.
- A small dog-like predator that travel in small groups across Kenya.
Main article: List of birds of Kenya
- A large reptile that is powerful and has been known to attack and kill people. They are found in many areas of Kenya.
- Nairobi National Park
- Mount Kenya
- Meru National Park
- Kora National Park
- Masai Mara
- Sibiloi National Park
- Amboseli National Park