Wildside (Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch song)
U. S. commercial cassette single
|Single by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch|
|from the album Music for the People|
|B-side||""On the House Tip""|
|Released||October 23, 1991|
|Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch singles chronology|
"Wildside" is a song by American hip-hop group Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. It was released in October 1991 as the second single from their 1991 album Music for the People. It heavily samples Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side". All vocals on the track are performed by the group's leader Mark Wahlberg.
The song was written and produced by Boston pioneer rapper M.C. Spice (Amir Quadeer Shakir), and describes the effects of America's greed, violence, and drug addiction on innocent, unsuspecting people. It referenced two notorious crimes that happened in Boston; the murder-suicide of Charles Stuart and his wife and the murder of 12-year-old Tiffany Moore shot as she sat on a stoop during a drive by shooting by a youth gang. The early portion of the video features a few seconds of the burning of an American flag.
Originally recorded and performed by M.C. Spice, "Wildside" aired on Boston's W.I.L.D. Radio for nearly two years before Spice agreed to allow Wahlberg to record the song for the actor's debut album. However, Spice removed content which referenced his best friend, Wesley "DJ Wes" McDougald and Wesley's violent death. M.C. Spice still records under the name Quadeer Shakur and M.C. Spice, and is founder of the BlackBerry Soul Radio online music station.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||26|
|Belgium (VRT Top 30 Flanders)||23|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||19|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||33|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||42|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|US Billboard Hot Rap Singles||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||69|
- "Australian-charts.com – Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch – Wildside". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch – Wildside" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- Belgian peak
- Canada peak
- Pennanen, Timo (2006). Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972 (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 978-951-1-21053-5.
- "Musicline.de – Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch – Wildside". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch – Wildside". Singles Top 100.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1992". Retrieved 2010-07-30.