Wildwood, North Carolina
Wildwood, North Carolina is a small unincorporated community centered on the Wildwood Road, just west of the Morehead City, North Carolina town limits along US Highway 70, in Carteret County, North Carolina. Newport, North Carolina is the next closest town.
The larger region encompassed by the Wildwood fire district is also sometimes referred to as "Wildwood" by local residents, and contains about 5000 residents. The Wildood Fire Department merged with the Morehead City Fire & EMS on October 1, 2014. The Wildwood Presbyterian Church, located on the Wildwood Road, has been in existence since the 1890s. The Wildwood Community Cemetery contains graves dating to American Civil War times, and is accessible via Old Murdoch Road. Wildwood was the home of Jake Wade, baseball pitcher in the 1930s and 1940s. He died on February 1, 2006 at his home in Wildwood at the age of 93.
Wildwood is located in District 3 for the Carteret County Board of Commissioners. As of March 2015 Wildwood is represented on the Board by Terry Frank, whose term expires November 2016. District 3 also includes part of Morehead City as well as Broad Creek, North Carolina.
- Carteret County, NC, website: County Commissioners: Members: Terry Frank. Accessed 2015-03-09
- Google Maps: Wildwood, North Carolina
- Carteret County Commissioners
- Jake Wade Biography on HistoricBaseball.com
- Wildwood FD to Become Part of Morehead City Fire-EMS
- Wildwood Presbyterian Church website
- Findagrave.com: Wildwood Community Cemetery