Wilhelm Carl von Rothschild
|Wilhelm Carl von Rothschild|
|Born||16 May 1828|
|Died||25 January 1901
Frankfurt, German Empire
Königstein im Taunus
|Spouse(s)||Mathilde Hannah von Rothschild|
|Children||3, including Adelheid von Rothschild|
|Parent(s)||Carl Mayer von Rothschild
Baron Wilhelm Carl von Rothschild (16 May 1828 – 25 January 1901) was a banker and financier of the Frankfurt House of Rothschild.
Life and career
Wilhelm Carl von Rothschild was the son of Baron Carl Mayer von Rothschild of Naples and Adelheid Hertz. He was known by some as "The Tzadik of the Rothschild House." He strongly supported many Orthodox Jewish institutions and studied in Yeshivas. He married his cousin Mathilde Hannah von Rothschild, the second oldest daughter of Anselm von Rothschild, a chief of the Vienna House of Rothschilds in 1849. The couple first resided in the Rothschild house on the Zeil (Zeilpalast), but later moved to a palace in Grüneburg, and also lived in a villa in Königstein im Taunus. They had three daughters, two of which survived to adulthood. Adelheid von Rothschild married her cousin Edmond James de Rothschild, while her younger sister Minna Caroline Rothschild married Maximilian Goldschmidt, who adopted the name "Goldschmidt-Rothschild" after Wilhelm Carl's death in 1901.
In 1855 von Rothschild became joint head with his brother Mayer Karl of the Frankfurt house. When his brother died in 1886, he became sole head. As he and his brother left no male heirs, the Frankfurt house was discontinued at his death.
- Rothschild banking family of Austria
- Rothschild banking family of England
- Rothschild banking family of France
- Rothschild banking family of Germany
- Rothschild banking family of Naples
- The Rothschilds; a Family Portrait by Frederic Morton. Atheneum Publishers (1962) ISBN 978-1568362205 (1998 reprint)
- The Rothschilds, a Family of Fortune by Virginia Cowles. Alfred A. Knopf (1973) ISBN 978-0297765387
- Rothschild: The Wealth and Power of a Dynasty by Derek Wilson. Scribner, London (1988) ISBN 978-0684190181
- House of Rothschild : Money's Prophets: 1798-1848 by Niall Ferguson. Viking Press (1998) ISBN 978-0140240849
- The House of Rothschild (vol. 2) : The World's Banker: 1849-1999 by Niall Ferguson. Viking Press (1999) ISBN 978-0670887941