Wilhelm J. Sluka
|limited liability company|
|Industry||Konditorei and café|
|Founder||Wilhelm Josef Sluka|
|Robert Beranek (director)|
|Products||Cakes, chocolates, coffee|
Wilhelm J. Sluka or the Conditorei Sluka is a famous Konditorei and café in Vienna, and a traditional k.u.k. Hoflieferant. It is located at Rathausplatz 8 (previously Reichsratsstrasse 13) in the first district of Vienna, the Innere Stadt.
The Konditorei was founded in 1891 by Wilhelm Josef Sluka and his wife Josefine. On the basis of his high-quality products Sluka received in 1896 the title of "confectioner to the k.u.k. court" ("k.u.k. Hofzuckerbäcker"). The café was patronised by customers of the highest social strata, including the Empress Elisabeth. Its central location and discrete atmosphere attracted ministers and representatives from the nearby Parliament Building on the Ringstrasse, gentlemen from the Rathaus, stars of the Burgtheater and members of the nobility and bourgeoisie.
Sluka still enjoys great popularity, particularly among tourists.
- Handelsblatt.com: Hier war der Kaiser Kunde by Roland Mischke (German); created 12 July 2003, retrieved 4 February 2009. Although the Austrian Monarchy was abolished in 1919, there still remain a number of exclusive businesses in Vienna that were once k.u.k. Hoflieferanten, that is to say, that had the Imperial and Royal Warrant as court tradesmen and suppliers. They continue to fight a rearguard action against the advance of mass marketing and high street branding.
- Wilhelm Josef Sluka: 18 April 1861, Vienna - 1 May 1932, Mödling; Josefine Sluka née Both: 1864, Ober Sankt Veit - 1954). http://www.biographien.ac.at/oebl_12/362.pdf, http://www.biographien.ac.at/oebl/oebl_S_29, http://www.biographien.ac.at/oebl/oebl_S/Sluka_Wilhelm-Josef_1861_1932.xml
- Jacobs website: Goldene Kaffeebohne 2000 (German); created 2000, retrieved 23 February 2009
- Haslinger, Ingrid, 1996: Kunde – Kaiser. Die Geschichte der ehemaligen k. u. k. Hoflieferanten. Vienna: Schroll ISBN 3-85202-129-4
- Haslinger, I., Patka, E., Jesch, M.-L., 1996: Der süße Luxus. Die Hofzuckerbäckerei und die ehemaligen k. u. k. Hofzuckerbäcker Demel, Gerbeaud, Gerstner, Heiner, Rumpelmayer, Sluka. (exhibition by the Kulturkreis Looshaus). Vienna: Agens Werk Geyer + Reisser ISBN 3-9500302-4-7
Media related to Wilhelm J. Sluka at Wikimedia Commons
- Website of the Conditorei Sluka (German)