Wilhelm Siegmund Teuffel
Wilhelm Siegmund Teuffel (German: [ˈtɔɪfəl]; September 27, 1820 – March 8, 1878), German classical scholar, was born at Ludwigsburg in the Kingdom of Württemberg. In 1849 he was appointed extraordinary, in 1857 ordinary professor in the university of Tübingen, which post he held till his death.
Teuffel's most important work was his Geschichte der römischen Litteratur (1870); revisions by Ludwig Schwabe, Wilhelm Kroll and Franz Skutsch carried this to a 6th–7th edition (1913–1920). An English translation of the 5th edition by George Charles Winter Warr was published in 1891–1892, as Teuffel's History of Roman Literature. The Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh Edition described Teuffel's history as "written in an unattractive style" but "indispensable to the student" especially for its "bibliographical information", and Warr's translation is described in the 1996 Oxford Classical Dictionary as "still useful on details".
After the death of August Pauly, the editor of the well-known Realencyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft, Teuffel, at first assisted by Ernst Christian Walz, undertook the completion of the work, to which he also contributed numerous articles.
He was also the author of
- "Prolegomena zur Chronologie der horazischen Geschichte" (in Zeitschrift für die Altertumswissenschaft, 1842)
- Charakteristik des Horaz (Leipzig, 1842)
- Horaz, eine litterar-historische Übersicht (Tübingen, 1843),
and of editions of
His Studien und Charakteristiken (1871; 2nd ed., 1889) contain valuable contributions to the history of Greek and Roman literature.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Teuffel, Wilhelm Siegmund". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Browning, Robert; Peta G. Fowler; Don P. Fowler (2003). "Latin literature". In Simon Hornblower and Antony Spawforth. The Oxford Classical Dictionary (3rd edition, revised ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 820. ISBN 0-19-860641-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wilhelm Siegmund Teuffel.|
- Works by or about Wilhelm Siegmund Teuffel at Internet Archive
- History of Roman Literature (English translation) at the Montclair Electronic Text Archive
|This article about a German historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|