Rosario with the Colorado Rockies in 2013
|Pericos de Puebla|
|Catcher / First baseman|
|Born: February 23, 1989|
Bonao, Dominican Republic
|MLB: September 6, 2011, for the Colorado Rockies|
|KBO: April 1, 2016, for the Hanwha Eagles|
|NPB: March 30, 2018, for the Hanshin Tigers|
|Runs batted in||241|
|KBO statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Runs batted in||69|
|NPB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Runs batted in||40|
Wilin Arismendy Rosario Hernández (born February 23, 1989) is a Dominican professional baseball catcher and first baseman for the Pericos de Puebla of the Mexican League. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Colorado Rockies, the KBO League for the Hanwha Eagles, and Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) for the Hanshin Tigers.
On September 6, 2011, Rosario made his MLB debut. He batted 0-for-3 with a walk and a run scored, as his Rockies defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks, 8–3. Rosario appeared in a total of 16 games for the Rockies that season. He posted a .204 batting average, hit 3 home runs and totalled 8 RBI.
During the 2012 season, Rosario saw action in 117 games with the Rockies. He finished 4th in the 2012 NL Rookie of the year voting, after hitting .270 with 28 HR and 71 RBI. Rosario topped all MLB catchers in home runs with 28 in 2012.
In 2013, Rosario set career highs in games played (121), average (.292), rbi's (79) and hits (131). In 2014, Rosario experience a dropoff in production, regressing in power and in average despite striking out less. His defense behind the plate did not improve as well, leading the majors for the third straight season in pass balls.
With the addition of Nick Hundley in the 2015 season, the Rockies moved Rosario to first base full-time, only playing catcher in case of a game emergency. For the 2015 season, Rosario's role on the team was part-time first baseman and pinch hitter, appearing only in 87 games for the Rockies. Rosario was designated for assignment by the Rockies after the 2015 season.
On December 14, 2017, Rosario signed with the Hanshin Tigers of Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB). Wilson Rosario (30), a member of the Hanshin group, is becoming more and more involved. Rosario was replaced on the 26th by a batter in the third batting game of the home game against Yomiuri.
Pericos de Puebla
- "Wilin Rosario 2011 Batting Gamelogs". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "Wilin Rosario 2012 Batting Gamelogs". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "2012 Awards Voting". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "2012 Major League Baseball Standard Batting". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "Rockies designate Axford, Rosario for assignment". ESPN.com. Associated Press. November 20, 2015. Retrieved November 21, 2015.
- Matt Eddy (November 7, 2019). "Minor League Free Agents 2019". Baseball America. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- "¡Bomba Emplumada! El cañonero dominicano, ex ligamayorista Wilin Rosario llega a Pericos de Puebla". pericosdepuebla.com (in Spanish). Retrieved January 16, 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wilin Rosario.|