January 6, 1991 |
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||175 lb (79 kg)|
|High school||Lake Clifton
(Wolfeboro, New Hampshire)
|NBA draft||2012 / Round: 2 / Pick: 40th overall|
|Selected by the Portland Trail Blazers|
|2012–2015||Portland Trail Blazers|
|2012–2013||→Idaho Stampede (D-League)|
|Career highlights and awards|
William Denard "Will" Barton (born January 6, 1991) is an American professional basketball player who last played for the Denver Nuggets of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Barton attended the University of Memphis and plays shooting guard. During his second year at Memphis, Barton won the Conference USA player of the year, becoming the first Memphis player to win since Chris Douglas-Roberts in 2008. He was selected with the 40th pick of the 2012 NBA draft by the Trail Blazers.
High school career
Barton was a highly touted recruit coming out of Brewster Academy and he graduated from Lake Clifton Eastern High School. Barton was rated the best shooting guard by Scout.com and ESPN.com in 2010. Barton chose Memphis over Arizona, Maryland, Kentucky, Indiana, and Villanova.
|Name||Home town||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Baltimore, Maryland||Brewster Academy||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)||170 lb (77 kg)||Jun 6, 2009|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 97|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 12 Rivals: 11 ESPN: 8|
Barton came to Memphis in 2010 and played every game in his freshman season, leading the Tigers in minutes per game at 30.6 and scoring with 12.3 points per game.
Barton had a breakout sophomore season leading the Tigers in points per game (18.0) and rebounds per game (8.0) en route to winning C-USA Player of the Year.
Portland Trail Blazers (2012–2015)
In March 2012, Barton decided to forgo his final two years of eligibility and declare for the 2012 NBA draft. He was selected by the Portland Trail Blazers with the 10th pick in the second round (40th overall). On December 7, 2012, Barton was assigned to the Idaho Stampede of the NBA D-League. He was recalled two days later. On January 6, 2013, he was reassigned to Idaho. He was recalled on January 9, 2013. He made his first NBA start on April 10, 2013 against the Los Angeles Lakers.
On February 26, 2014, Barton recorded a season high 20 points, along with a career high 11 rebounds, in 124-80 win over the Brooklyn Nets. In a televised interview following the game, when asked by a reporter about a spontaneous "Will Barton" chant that had broken out late in the contest, the guard replied, "I like to think I'm the people's champ," thereby instantly giving birth to a new nickname and a Trail Blazers meme. He went on to record 17 points and six rebounds on May 12 to help Portland win Game 4 of their semi-final match-up against the San Antonio Spurs.
Denver Nuggets (2015)
On February 19, 2015, Barton was traded, along with Víctor Claver, Thomas Robinson and a lottery-protected 2016 first-round pick, to the Denver Nuggets in exchange for Arron Afflalo and Alonzo Gee.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Will Barton NBA & ABA Stats
- Barton of Memphis Take Top C-USA Honor
- Letourneau, Connor (June 27, 2012). "Former Lake Clifton star Will Barton hoping to first-round pick in NBA draft". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved July 7, 2012.
- Scout.com College Basketball Team Recruiting Prospects
- ESPN Basketball Recruiting Player Rankings
- ESPN Recruiting profile
- Barton ready for the Garden
- Memphis Tigers Stats – 2010–11
- Memphis Tigers Stats – 2011–12
- Will Barton to declare for draft
- NOLAN SMITH, WILL BARTON ASSIGNED TO IDAHO STAMPEDE
- Trail Blazers recall Nolan Smith and Will Barton from D-League
- Notebook: Trail Blazers 124, Nets 80
- Meagher, Sean (February 26, 2014). "Will Barton, the people's champ, helps lead Trail Blazers to 124-80 win over Nets (postgame video)". OregonLive.com. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- Nuggets Acquire Barton, Claver, Robinson and Protected First Round Pick From Portland