William B. Sellers
|Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Alabama|
|Assumed office |
May 25, 2017
|Appointed by||Kay Ivey|
|Preceded by||Lyn Stuart|
|Born||1963 (age 55–56)|
|Alma mater||Hillsdale College|
University of Alabama School of Law
New York University
Sellers was born and raised in Montgomery, Alabama. He completed a Bachelor of Arts degree at Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan in 1985, with majors in history and political economy. He then completed a law degree at the University of Alabama School of Law in 1988, and a Master of Laws degree in Taxation at New York University in 1989.
Sellers was in private practice in Montgomery, Alabama from 1989 to 2017, specializing in tax law and litigation. He was a partner with the prominent Montgomery law firm Balch & Bingham, where his work mainly involved litigation with the Internal Revenue Service and the Alabama Department of Revenue. He has been active in many community organizations, including the Rotary Club, United Way, and the YMCA, and received the President's Award for service in 2012 from the Alabama Bar Association.
In 2016, Sellers was a member of the electoral college, his 4th time to serve as a presidential elector from Alabama.
The Governor of Alabama, Kay Ivey, appointed Sellers as an associate justice on the Supreme Court of Alabama in May 2017, to replace Lyn Stuart, who had been elevated to chief justice. Sellers previously served as chair of Ivey's successful campaigns for Lieutenant Governor of Alabama in 2010 and 2014.
Sellers's current term on the court ends in January 2019, and he has announced that he will run for re-election to a new six-year term in November 2018. Sellers has been endorsed by the Business Council of Alabama, Alabama Society of CPAs, the Alabama Farmers Federation, The Alabama New South Coalition and the Alabama Civil Justice Reform Committee.
He is married to the former Lee Grant and has 3 adult children.
- "Justice Sellers". Supreme Court of Alabama. Alabama Judicial System. 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Governor Ivey Appoints William B. Sellers to the Alabama Supreme Court". WTVY. Montgomery AL. May 25, 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- Conrad, Brooke (June 4, 2017). "Hillsdale Alumnus William Sellers fills open seat on Alabama Supreme Court". The Collegian. Hillsdale MI. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Ivey Appoints Tax Attorney Sellers to Supreme Court". US News & World Report. Montgomery AL. May 25, 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Letters, calls urge Alabama elector not to vote for Trump". AL.com. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- Gray, Jeremy (April 26, 2017). "Gov. Kay Ivey appoints Lyn Stuart Alabama Chief Justice". Alabama Media Group. Montgomery AL. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- Seale, Michael (May 26, 2017). "Balch attorney appointed to Alabama Supreme Court". Birmingham Business Journal. Birmingham AL. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Justice Will Sellers To Seek Full Term on Alabama Supreme Court". Yellow Hammer Media. Birmingham AL. September 11, 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
| Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Alabama